Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

complete savings ie /ticketmaster

Options
  • 30-05-2015 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I bought tickets recently for concert from Ticketmaster.
    I now see a charge on my credit card now for 12 euro.
    I didn't sign up with "complete savings ie".

Is this a scam. I have now to try and get my 12 euro back,

<SNIP>......anyone any advice on how to proceed.

Paddy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://help.ticketmaster.com/how-did-i-become-a-member-of-complete-savings/

There's a checkbox to uncheck. Its not a scam as such but its a: completely useless and b: presented in a confusing manner so realistically it may as well be,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

L1011 wrote: »

There's a checkbox to uncheck. Its not a scam as such but its a: completely useless and b: presented in a confusing manner so realistically it may as well be,

On that FAQ page it says:. "Once your Ticketmaster purchase was complete, you were given an opportunity to save money with Complete Savings. After accepting the Terms & Conditions by undertaking several affirmative steps, including entering your email address, you were enrolled in the Complete Savings online savings program."

Sounds like a lot more than a box to uncheck tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

L1011 wrote: »

correct.....thks

On that FAQ page it says:. "Once your Ticketmaster purchase was complete, you were given an opportunity to save money with Complete Savings. After accepting the Terms & Conditions by undertaking several affirmative steps, including entering your email address, you were enrolled in the Complete Savings online savings program."

Sounds like a lot more than a box to uncheck tbh.

I use the internet all the time for buying stuff. This was a first where the purchase was made in such a fashion that I had no idea that I had bought this ..complete savings .ie...... if you do not realise you have bought it ...regardless of anything else , there is a problem with transparency.

I have got my money back and off the site. google about it ..its a common complaint.....when I mentioned the joe duffy show and sending an email to see how big the problem may be , I got an immediate refund...perhaps co incidentailly......be aware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Its not a scam - but boy does it skirt the parameters!

Watchdog did a programme on it in the UK and the consumer show did one here. The companies that add it to their website get a substantial commission, hence they have no interest in taking it off.

Frankly I despise such sneaky ploys.

• Advertisement

that's interesting ...im done with them TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Should be able to get refund under consumer rights directive?

Should be able to get refund under consumer rights directive?

Dunno. Have refund sorted. It's very underhand. They gave me little hassle.
    I think they get plenty of angry emails !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@Completesave. Please contact hello@boards.ie if you wish to post on Boards,ie in a commercial capacity. Post deleted.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    @Completesave. Please contact hello@boards.ie if you wish to post on Boards,ie in a commercial capacity. Post deleted.

Hi this doesn't make sense to me. Who is posting commercially ? Thks

Think of all the ones that don't complain and continue to pay blindly. It is a very profitable business.

Ya it's bad practice ... Certainly not best practice as it should be. You live and learn.

Hi this doesn't make sense to me. Who is posting commercially ? Thks
    Just a poster who identified herself as a rep of Complete Savings.

He/she would be entitled to cancel under the cooling off period, if done within 14 days.

I suppose the moral of the story is, don't click into a link, sign up to a service and provide your bank details unless you know what you're getting into. Sounds obvious but...

yep, sounds obvious, but Complete Savings have designed the link and the offer to make it look like it is from the site you are on. Therefore as you trust that site (Ryanair, Irish Rail, Ticketmaster etc), your trust is effectively in my opinion betrayed by the way complete savings get you to sign up.

Their classic is "save €10 on your next booking/ticket with (insert name of site you are on)" and then they shout about it being free to sign up and free for 30 days etc etc, then much smaller is the fact that you are signing up to a recurrent payment.

In their defence, they do seem to cancel immediately on request and provide refunds if you dispute their signup procedure. Easy to do when you ahve thousands of unsuspecting sign-ups.

BTW - this is a worldwide company. A quick google of "complete savings problems" will show you just how big this is.

So whilst their sign-up procedure very much dodgy in the language and style used, but not illegal, they will cancel immediately you contact them.

delahuntv wrote: »
    yep, sounds obvious, but Complete Savings have designed the link and the offer to make it look like it is from the site you are on. Therefore as you trust that site (Ryanair, Irish Rail, Ticketmaster etc), your trust is effectively in my opinion betrayed by the way complete savings get you to sign up.

Their classic is "save €10 on your next booking/ticket with (insert name of site you are on)" and then they shout about it being free to sign up and free for 30 days etc etc, then much smaller is the fact that you are signing up to a recurrent payment.

In their defence, they do seem to cancel immediately on request and provide refunds if you dispute their signup procedure. Easy to do when you ahve thousands of unsuspecting sign-ups.

BTW - this is a worldwide company. A quick google of "complete savings problems" will show you just how big this is.

So whilst their sign-up procedure very much dodgy in the language and style used, but not illegal, they will cancel immediately you contact them.

Sorry, deleted the initial post as it came off a bit stroppy which wasn't the intention, but I suppose my point was that this isn't like the "missed event" insurance that Ticketmaster provide and which is very much a tick-box that you could skim over. In this case, you need to take conscious and deliberate action to become a member, including giving them your credit card details.

It doesn't look like a good service and definitely not a good value service but at some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions. I don't think it's reasonable to claim that they were signed up without their knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The old trick of charging less than someone values the time it takes them to cancel - but monthly. If you charge a tenner or so a month for something people will often just keep paying it ad infinitum

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Conor Pope of the Irish Times was on the case recently as a recent of complaints relating to people who bought tickets on Irish Rail website and who started to see that monthly charge on their CC bills. It does seem to be a completely useless service and depends on people signing up without really knowing what they're getting into. In that sense and by my value system they're not much better than the snakes in Zamano who's business depends on extracting cash from unsuspecting people by suckering them into subscribing to so-called premium text services.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Mary from Complete Savings has been in contact with is and have asked us to post this official response on their behalf:
    Hello Forum Members:

Complete Savings is an online membership programme ideal for those who shop online regularly. Complete Savings members have access to a wide range of cashback deals, including an initial cashback reward, a monthly cashback reward, discounted gift cards and 10% cashback at over 650 online stores.

The only way to become a member is to enter your details in full on the Complete Savings sign-up page. The details required are: your name, your email address (twice), your postal address, a new password (twice) and your credit or debit card details for the monthly billing. It is mentioned in several places on the sign-up page that following 30 days free membership, there is a monthly fee - hence why you are required to provide your credit/debit card details on the sign-up page. To complete your sign-up, you must click a "Yes" button to agree to the terms and conditions of the programme. There is no other way of creating a membership but to provide your details in full and click the "YES" button on the sign-up page.

We will be happy to assist with queries about Complete Savings. However, it's difficult to do that in a public forum when we don't know who you are and are not able to identify your Complete Savings membership record. If you have a query about Complete Savings and would like our assistance, please contact our customer service centre on 1800 806 167 or at customerservice@completesavings.ie. Alternatively, you can contact me directly at mary@completesavings.ie. Our hours of operation are Monday-Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 9am-4pm.

Kind regards,
    Mary
    The Complete Savings Team

If anyone has any queries on this, please do contact the Complete Savings Team using the contact details given above. Thanks.

Sorry, deleted the initial post as it came off a bit stroppy which wasn't the intention, but I suppose my point was that this isn't like the "missed event" insurance that Ticketmaster provide and which is very much a tick-box that you could skim over. In this case, you need to take conscious and deliberate action to become a member, including giving them your credit card details.

It doesn't look like a good service and definitely not a good value service but at some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions. I don't think it's reasonable to claim that they were signed up without their knowledge.

completely disagree with that. it is VERY reasonable to claim you were signed up without your knowledge.

Very easy for them to make it more clear , but suits them not to

Mary from Complete Savings has been in contact with is and have asked us to post this official response on their behalf:

If anyone has any queries on this, please do contact the Complete Savings Team using the contact details given above. Thanks.

how many "queries" a day do you get??????????????????

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Conor Pope of the Irish Times was on the case recently as a recent of complaints relating to people who bought tickets on Irish Rail website and who started to see that monthly charge on their CC bills. It does seem to be a completely useless service and depends on people signing up without really knowing what they're getting into. In that sense and by my value system they're not much better than the snakes in Zamano who's business depends on extracting cash from unsuspecting people by suckering them into subscribing to so-called premium text services.

CORRECT

completely disagree with that. it is VERY reasonable to claim you were signed up without your knowledge.

Very easy for them to make it more clear , but suits them not to

Just to be 100% clear on this; how did they get your credit card details without you signing up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Just to be 100% clear on this; how did they get your credit card details without you signing up?

Are you from complete savings ie?
    Are you missing the jist of the story?
    Did you research it? Did you see or are you aware of the USA court action taken against them?
    Silly question ( my view)

The point is it is misleading .. The point is that if a customer is not fully aware then it is while not illegal a " slight of hand" very easy to put it right.
    Same issues for irish rail customers.

The design of their website is designed in my view in such a way that it results in considerable confusion ... Resulting in causing a huge amount of hassle / phone calls / emails : calls to credit card companies to get charges reversed ... It's nothing short of a nuisance .....
    Indeed most appropriate your reply ..100% clear .... Pity they wouldn't take that as their motto

Yes, that's exactly it, you've exposed me, my cover is blown.

Are you missing the jist of the story?

I understand completely the jist of the story. You didn't understand what you were signing up for; I get that.

What I'm trying to get at is how you can claim that you were signed up without your knowledge when that very clearly isn't possible.

Yes, that's exactly it, you've exposed me, my cover is blown.

I understand completely the jist of the story. You didn't understand what you were signing up for; I get that.

What I'm trying to get at is how you can claim that you were signed up without your knowledge when that very clearly isn't possible.

Good man. Lol

Good man. Lol
    Tone it down. Attack the post not the poster.

Good man. Lol

Way to argue your case.

Listen, you signed up to something to get the offer of the discount on your next ticketmaster purchase. It looks like an attractive offer, I've often thought about clicking on it myself. You went through all the registration steps, you entered your email and password, you gave them your credit card details, you clicked to accept the T&C. At some point, you have to accept some responsibility for your own actions.

As far as I can tell, you got your membership cancelled fairly easily and you're not out of pocket, so it seems like reasonably good customer service?

Way to argue your case.

Listen, you signed up to something to get the offer of the discount on your next ticketmaster purchase. It looks like an attractive offer, I've often thought about clicking on it myself. You went through all the registration steps, you entered your email and password, you gave them your credit card details, you clicked to accept the T&C. At some point, you have to accept some responsibility for your own actions.

As far as I can tell, you got your membership cancelled fairly easily and you're not out of pocket, so it seems like reasonably good customer service?

Agree to disagree. Your missing the point. Finished over @ out.

• Advertisement

Way to argue your case.

You don't think people will click on it inadvertently and think its part of the process?

Suppose cigarette advertising doesn;t make people smoke - they just advertised for fun and the drop in smoking since advertising ban is coincedental?

Not evefryone is savvy online (or even in stores) - Youy may be, I may be and many other here may be, but a HUGE number of people put blind trust in sites like Irish Rail, Ticketmaster etc etc and Complet Savings take advantage of that and very purposely design the signup process in a way that whislt not illegal, certainly is very suspect and get the unsuspecting person to give their details.

Simnply have a look online asnd the the thousands of issues people have and they all have one thing in common - they feel like they were scammed. If Complet Savings were a supplier of a product or service, they would be be ostrocised for their type of business practice and their name would be mud.

But as they give a hiuge commission to these site and as they don;t have a physical product / service, they don;t really care if such a huge number feel like they've been scammed as every sign up is pure profit.

Advertisement