Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong and 00 flour

Options
  • 30-05-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

For bread making, what is the difference between strong flour and 00?
    I see bread recipes for both types of flour but I thought the stronger the flour the better , and 00 has less protein than our odlums strong flour.
    How does this difference affect the bread?
    Also is all the flour on sale here soft flour?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    For bread making, what is the difference between strong flour and 00?
    I see bread recipes for both types of flour but I thought the stronger the flour the better , and 00 has less protein than our odlums strong flour.
    How does this difference affect the bread?
    Also is all the flour on sale here soft flour?
    Thank you

00 flour and strong flour are different things.

Italians rate flour by how soft it has been milled, 00 is the softest. 04 is the coarsest.

Strong flour refers to the amount of protein which is based on the type of wheat used, not the method of milling the flour.

Plain or cream flour in Ireland is not as soft as Italian 00 flour, AFAIK.

Plain flour in Ireland has typically 10% protein which is not enough for good yeast read.
    Strong flour should be 13-14%

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

So 00 flour is finely milled? And finer than our plain flour.
    I have a bag of odlums strong flour which has 12.1 gr of protein, therefore the strength is both higher protien and coarser ground?
    If I substitute some flour with semolina do you think it would improve the quality of the flour for bread making? Or the texture?
    I am trying to get a bread with a dry crumb, not doughy that is like putty if squeezed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

In case you haven't seen it, there's a bread baking thread HERE that might give you some ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Cool , thanks.

Advertisement