Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam34/ RobFowl - Not enforcing the rules outlined in the Health Sciences Charter

Options
  • 30-05-2015 10:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

hi

I wish to bring to your attention, that mods Sam34 and Robfowl are not correctly enforcing to rule in the charter, which prohibits the discussion of medical advice on boards.

This rule has been outlined to me as very important, in a legal sense to Boards.ie, and I think therefore requires urgent attention.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello yet again.

Just for clarity, in my last substantive post in your other Help Desk thread, I asked if you could post where this may be happening. It would help a lot if you could provide links please? If it's just one instance in one thread, please post that. If you feel it's happening all the time, please just post 3 or 4 links, and they will be investigated by whatever CMod takes this case on.

Also, I mentioned that the Feedback forum may be the place for this thread, but the more I think about it, the more confident I am that the Help Desk is the correct place for this thread.

The reason being that you are not objecting about the moderation of a forum as a blanket complaint. Your complaint is about one apparent conscious and deliberate decision made by the 2 Moderators named above. This doesn't amount to a lack of moderation, or poor moderating 'skill', for the want of a better word.

While you're looking for the instances to support your claim, I will make contact with their CMod, and bring this thread to their attention.

Thanks,

-Shield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Hi Shield,

I have since been permanently banned from Heath Sciences, which I am currently disputing.

So it will be difficult for me to provide extensive examples;

What I am basically highlighting is the lack of enforcement of clear rules which are in the charter.

Here is the update to the charter, made by Sam34, and commented on by RobFowl:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sam34
    "OK, charter update.

there is a zero tolerance policy on medical advice here, irrespective of how innocuous or general it seems. there will be no coments made/advice given on peoples personal health/medical situations.

all such threads will be locked.

however, that has been policy for some time and we still get the advice threads.

so, we have decided to infract posters seeking medical advice from here on in. (obviously, if any poster gives medical advice prior to a thread getting locked, they too will be infracted).

there is no point PMing us afterwards saying "ah come on i wasnt looking for advice as such..." - zero tolerance is zero tolerance.

the reasons for this have already been explained in this thread and in the charter.

no further warnings. dont PM telling us you werent aware - its in the charter and in the big sticky."

To which RobFowl responded

"Can I just remind everyone of this !!
    PS asking for peoples "experiences" of a certain treatment, doctor or hospital etc IS asking for medical advice no matter how much you protest it isn't ....."

Here Rob clearly outlines that it is against the charter to ask people for their experiences of certain treatments.

Here is the Thread starting post by Spurious:

"Long story made short, was admitted to hospital a couple of weeks ago with a burst appendix which was treated by flooding me with antibiotics.
    To be honest, I'd never heard of this approach and was in the "burst appendix = dying/immediate operation" camp. I'm glad they didn't tell me it had burst in the hospital as I would have freaked out. I've since discovered there have been other cases like mine.

http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2012/07...x-appendectomy

Wondering if there's anyone on boards who was in a similar situation, or has experience of it? I've to go in for an appendectomy in about eight weeks or so when the appendix is 'cold'."

And just for clarity, the update to the charter was made in February, 2013, and Spurious' thread was started in November 2013.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's possible to view the forums you've been banned from. All you need to do is log out, and you'll be able to view the forums as an unregistered user.

As you know by now, I don't get involved in the subject matter of any complaints. All I do is make sure everyone (Moderators included) knows the process for making a complaint, and following it through. In your case, you can log out and see the threads or posts where you believe medical advice is being used, caused or permitted.

Because you have other threads here, you know that the process requires you to provide evidence to support what you allege is happening. When you do, the process will continue in accordance with our own Charter, and a CMod will review what has happened.

If you are happy with the CMod's decision, then we'll close this thread. If not, come back here, let us know what happened in as much detail as possible, and an Admin will pick it up.

-Shield.

Sure no problem. It will take a long time and a lot of effort on my behalf, as when I see an example, I cant quote it, and I have to log back in to make a post..I can assure it is not as easy as you are making out.

• Advertisement

I can assure it is not as easy as you are making out.
    I understand, and I agree. However, proof is essential in cases like this.

I wonder if you opened a Private Browsing window, or Incognito in Chrome, would that not speed things up? You'd be able to just switch from one to the other then?

Just a thought.

-Shield.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I have since been permanently banned from Heath Sciences, which I am currently disputing.

Hi sleepyheadh,
    Please be advised that I have been reviewing the information that is available regarding this Help Desk complaint. Mods have also exchanged PMs with me providing data. As noted by Shield, specific links would be helpful towards this review, as opposed to generalised statements without supporting documentation.

Furthermore, relatively current links that suggest this is a problem today, rather than one that may or may not have occurred many years ago would be more helpful to this process. If it's a problem today, there should be recent links demonstrating that it's today's problem.

Given that both your Help Desk threads (one now closed), and your current Dispute Resolution appear to be related to your recent ban from Health Sciences, I will proceed to resolve your DRP first, before addressing this Help Desk thread in depth.

Sincerely,
    Black Swan

Yep that sounds perfect to me BlackSwan, I am more than happy to get the DRF sorted first.

As you can imagine it is near impossible for me to provide the required evidence, when I am banned from the forum in question.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You can still view the forum when logged out, and collect any links that way. It may be clunky to do this on a phone however.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    You can still view the forum when logged out, and collect any links that way. It may be clunky to do this on a phone however.

So how do I then quote the examples? If you try to do it Spear you will soon realise how difficult it is. trust me

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

So how do I then quote the examples? If you try to do it Spear you will soon realise how difficult it is. trust me

You can get a post-specific URL by clicking on the Post ID number in the top right hand side of the post whether you are logged in or out.

For example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95709454&postcount=12 is the link to your previous post.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As the OP has been sitebanned there's no point in leaving this thread open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement