Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy tradesman?? What do you think?

Options
  • 30-05-2015 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Ok. Know I have been stupid so please do not state the obvious!

So, got a job done in the house by a company. I needed a few more jobs done and the tradesman working with the company agreed to do them himself - so cutting out the company so to speak. Took all measurements, info etc. week later agreed on dates for completion and said he needed some money up front to buy materials - seemed legit enough. Gave me his bank account details and I transferred the money -€250. Was supposed to do the job 2 weekends ago, but I could not contact him u till last week as he was not answering his phone said there was some emergency and agreed to do jet this week, again cannot be contacted.

Any advice? Should I listen to more excuses? Get him to transfer the money back to me? What if he does not answer his phone? I know where he works and also have his bank details so he can be tracked down. What do you think I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

If he was willing to go behind his employers back , why did you think he would be honest with you?

That aside, you paid to his bank account so you have some come back.text him to say he needs to contact you to do agreed work.Give him a day or so to respond and if he doesn't text him again to say you'll be contacting his boss to pass the message to him.if no response after that you will have to decide is it worth trying to legally get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Taking work from his employer is a big no no. If any of my lads did that to me they would never work for me again (different trade but same deal) . Tell him he has a week to refund the cash or do the job or you'll tell his employer. They won't do anything for you as you went behind their back but he won't work for them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Ok. Will give him an ultimatum either to get the work done by agreed date or else return the money. According to him, he is working away at it at home so I think a week should be sufficient time (it's not a big job).
    He knows where I live etc so let's hope it does not get nasty! Thanks for all your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Tell his employer what he has been up to ripping u and the company he is working for off. You could threaten him that you will contact the company and get him the sack if he doesn't give you your money back

I could do that. Could even go the the gardai as he has committed fraud but would I be bringing a lot of trouble on myself! He seems to do other work also and is not employed exclusively by the company. However, i am sure it's his reliable income. Fingers crossed he will get the job done this week!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Was the 250 part payment /deposit for a job, or the full amount for the work he was to do, either way try to get it back rather than have him do the work for if he is this much of a con before the job starts things will get worse if he actually starts the work, let him know you will contact his employer, the Gardai , the revenue, and you will be writing to his bank for the return of the money, the latter suggestion may not get you anywhere but he won't like the idea , the small claims court would be another plan

The 250 was part payment - half. Was to buy materials from supplier. Hopefully he will answer his phone tomorrow. If not, I will be sending him a text!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

You are not honest person, because you try to steal a worker from his boss, so I believe You deserve it!

Advertisement