Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Citizenship-Mother is a citizen

Options
  • 30-05-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My mother lived in Canada and became a citizen through naturalisation and although my father worked in Canada he did not become a citizen. I'm trying to research as to whether I can become a citizen but the information is kind of confusing. Does anyone know if I would be eligible for citizenship? Or how would I go about applying for it? And is there a certain age I have to apply before?

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

If you got Canadian citizenship after your children were born, your children did not automatically become citizens because you did.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kat52

Yeah my mother got citizenship before we were born does that mean we still don't get it? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

This means that, in general, children born outside Canada to a parent who was a Canadian citizen at the time of the child’s birth will only be Canadian at birth if:

the parent was born in Canada, or
    the parent became a Canadian citizen by being granted citizenship, also known as naturalization, (except for a grant of citizenship for adopted persons under section 5.1 of the Citizenship Act ).

From what I can gather, because your mother was already a citizen when you were born, they automatically consider you a citizen, so you don't have to apply for it,(which would need the residency requirements etc, which I imagine was the part confusing you). You need a citizenship certificate to prove you're Canadian, and then apply for a passport.

It costs $75 to apply for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0001ETOC.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kat52

Thank you so much that's really helpful!

Advertisement