Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is City West like to live in?

Options
  • 30-05-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of moving out to City West to be closer to my new job, as the current commute and the toll fees are excessive. I don't know the area well at all. I've driven through it a few times, on the way to Blessington. The parts that I go through look....well....a bit soulless to be honest. I've been in the shopping centre that has the Dunnes and the NDLS centre, but that is about it.

So what is it like...shops, pubs, restaurants, what are the good areas to target living in, bad areas to avoid, sports clubs, gyms, coffee shops (other than Avoca) parks, cycle tracks etc etc. Does the area in general have hidden charms (apart from the mountains obvs) that I am not aware of? What about living in Saggart, Rathcoole?

I probably wouldn't be looking to move until after my 90 day probationary period is up, which would be in early September. Is that wise? Do Tallaght IT & other colleges hoover up a lot of the decent accommodation in late summer? Would I need to start looking before then? Are the prices on Daft (1000 to 1500 p/m) representative of what people are actually paying for 2 bedroom apts?

Any input would be appreciated? Ta. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

I work there for a couple of years now and have two colleagues who moved there.

Going out for Food / Drinks:
    We went couple of times to the Lemon Grass next to Citywest Hotel - its ok. I prefere the Avoca though.
    Had several times internal trainings which were held at City West Hotel - Food was ok as well.
    After Work Drinks normally at Browns Barn.
    There are two more restaurants in the Business Park which I have never tried out.

The Business Park organizes once a year in summer a barbecue for the people working there.

I like the artificial lakes in the Business Park.
    And in the evenings you have plenty of rabbits crawling around and the odd fox.

A more useless information: generally Citiwest is much windier than City Center / other parts of Dublin.

Shopping: A Spar in the Business Park, the shopping center you have mentioned and a Lidl close to the shopping center. The next Tesco I am aware of is in Clondalkin.
    You might want perhaps to check Lucan and Clondalkin as well as possibilities for moving.

Going to City Center is not really convenient with Public transport (Luas ~45 min, Bus a bit more.)
    I commute with public transport daily ~ 3 hous to Citywest (I live in Finglas) - but am not really tempted to move as Citywest makes a bit of a dead impression on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Merowig wrote: »
    Shopping: A Spar in the Business Park,

Going to City Center is not really convenient with Public transport (Luas ~45 min, Bus a bit more.)
    I commute with public transport daily ~ 3 hous to Citywest (I live in Finglas) - but am not really tempted to move as Citywest makes a bit of a dead impression on me.

Avoid the chicken fillet rolls in the Spar! Never been more delighted when I left my job there to get away from them things!

With regards to public transport, beware of the Luas, the Red line is notorious for not functioning!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for the input. I have a car, so I'm not too worried about having to rely on public transport to get about.

Merowig - do you have many work colleagues who commute to City West from Naas/Newbridge or from Blessington? Do you ever get feedback from them on what the commute is like. I know eff all about living in Kildare or Wicklow, but the prices on Daft are significantly lower than the City West area, but the driving distances involved aren't that huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

An elderly colleague is living in Blessington and to my understanding her son drops her off and picks her up for work. Will ask her the next time I see her.

Gavin "shels" : I have a canteen in my office so thankfull y no need to get my lunch at the Spar.

Advertisement