Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric gate

Options
  • 31-05-2015 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

Apologies if in the wrong forum or has been answered before, had a quick look but couldn't find anything.

I want to automate the gate on my farmyard entrance as I was recently relieved of all my workshop tools which had taken me years to build up:(. I was wondering as the gate I have is like the one in the photo is it possible to have some sort of locking mechanism to close over the "latch" automatically when the gate is closed so that it just can't be pushed open by a car to gain access. I know a sliding gate would be the most secure, but funds are low at the moment after having to replace the tools.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭enricoh

You can put a magnetic lock onto the end of the gate and the pier and that would strengthen it up a lot. It knocks off and unlocks when u hit the key fob
    A manual sliding gate would be a stronger job n get a kit when u get a few quid together.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mcflowers

enricoh wrote: »
    You can put a magnetic lock onto the end of the gate and the pier and that would strengthen it up a lot. It knocks off and unlocks when u hit the key fob
    A manual sliding gate would be a stronger job n get a kit when u get a few quid together.

Thanks for the reply Enrioch.

Yeah I seen them mag locks after, but they seem to only hold around 500kg pressure. Maybe I'm just over complicating the whole thing and should go for sliding gate, maybe it is possible to put track on existing gate for sliding to save on expense of making a new gate. I want it to be automated as we do be in and out I the yard multiple times during the day and don't want to have to get out everytime to open and close gate.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭enricoh

You would have to weld a 3x1.5" box iron onto the bottom of that gate in picture to fit the wheels n the track for the motor.
    8x 4 RSJ with a few bits of rebar welded on to catch the concrete and a 16mm round on top of RSJ for wheels to run on.
    Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Put in cctv and pir lighting along with an alarm system for your shed with the ability to text you when activated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mcflowers wrote: »
    I want to automate the gate on my farmyard entrance as I was recently relieved of all my workshop tools which had taken me years to build up:(. I was wondering as the gate I have is like the one in the photo is it possible to have some sort of locking mechanism to close over the "latch" automatically when the gate is closed so that it just can't be pushed open by a car to gain access. I know a sliding gate would be the most secure, but funds are low at the moment after having to replace the tools.

Do not expect this gate to be secure when automated.
    In general these systems are easily defeated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mcflowers

2011 wrote: »
    Do not expect this gate to be secure when automated.
    In general these systems are easily defeated.

Thanks lads
    Suppose maybe I am wishing for too much by the sounds of things, probably my best bet is to maybe go for an automated gate for during the day and then to resort back to the old realiable chain and padlock every night...and hope they don't cut the bars on the gate!
    I suppose a gate is only a deterrent at best and are easily defeated as you say 2011.
    On another note, the gate is 165metres from nearest power supply, what size cable would I need to run to power the gate, would 2.5mm be good enough or would solar be a better option because of the lenght? Physically running/digging the cable will cost nothing as I can do that myself.
    Also is there a link for recommended installers in the Wexford area or is it a case that any registered electrician could install the gate opener.
    Many thanks for the replies, they have been very much appreciated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mcflowers wrote: »
    On another note, the gate is 165metres from nearest power supply, what size cable would I need to run to power the gate, would 2.5mm be good enough or would solar be a better option because of the lenght? Physically running/digging the cable will cost nothing as I can do that myself.

Volt drop is a function of resistance and current. Although the current would be relatively small for a gate motor the resistance of a 2.5mm sq. cable over a distance of 165m would be high, hence a high volt drop. It is very unlikely that this cable would be large enough.

Advertisement