Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LSHC QF: Dublin v. Galway ; Croke Park; 31st May @14:00

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Mars Bar wrote: »
    That was fortunate. He turned in to them and tried to charge.

Very Soft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Michael Carton got very very lucky there. He took a good few steps before he was even challenged by a Galway player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

30 seconds left. 2 subs are made. He tells keeper to wait and then he blows up. Gaa refs are a ****en joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fair result. Neither team could pull away. Johnny Coen was much-improved in the second half and back to his 2012 self. A replay will do both these sides good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ref's playing for a draw really annoys me, I really don't get the attraction for them. There should be extra time in these games anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably a fair result. Not sure who will be more annoyed with the draw? Dubs led for most of the 2nd half but Galway had nearly all the goal chances and missed all of them bar one.

A draw is a good result for both teams really.
    They both get another competitive match against each other, since the winner will have a relatively easy match against Offaly/Laois.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Same old ****. The whole two minutes taken up waiting to take two frees and a substitution. Out of the two minutes added on, about 15 seconds of it was live play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Replay in pearse stadium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Draw is fair i think, a replay will benefit both to improve, a bit like like Cork last year. Galway i thjnk will be bit more dissappointed as they had more goal oppertunities. Dublin dont seem to carry a huge goal threat it seems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

KevIRL wrote: »
    Replay in pearse stadium?

Parnell Park is more likely

Why Parnell Park? That would mean home advantage for Dublin for both matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

play it on the aran islands and see will the Dubs travel...

Should be in Salthill but don't think Galway can host matches in the Leinster championship. I am open to correction on that. Will probably be Tullamore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Tullamore is more likely. But it can't be in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Should be in Salthill but don't think Galway can host matches in the Leinster championship. I am open to correction on that. Will probably be Tullamore.

Yes, AFAIK, that was the price for entering Leinster, so seems the most likely neutral venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tullamore on Saturday is my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Some stats

CGV24ogW0AE6bY1.jpg

CGV24oiXIAANdkw.jpg

Shots scored from play the key one

From ‏@DubMatchTracker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Tullamore on Saturday is my guess

As far as I remember, Galway originally didn't Leinster as Leinster were insisting that Galway play all their matches away. When they entered Leinster, it was agreed that the matches would be in neutral venues. So that rules out Parnell park and Pearse stadium. Tullamore seems the obvious choice....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Kildare v Laois in Tullamore next Saturday. Portlaoise most likely for replay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

As far as I remember, Galway originally didn't Leinster as Leinster were insisting that Galway play all their matches away. When they entered Leinster, it was agreed that the matches would be in neutral venues. So that rules out Parnell park and Pearse stadium. Tullamore seems the obvious choice....

Shows the hypocrisy of the GAA that Croke Park continues to be viewed as a neutral venue for the Dubs. It was played at a Dublin ground therefore the return should be in a Galway one, Salthill.

I thought it was poor fare overall to be honest. The fight in both teams was decent but the pace was turgid and the shooting lacked a lot to be desired, particularly from Galway. I wonder whether it is time to start reassessing Joe Canning. That he is a good player with huge potential is undoubted but he has to start fulfilling that potential. Both teams were way off the pace despite what The Sunday Game lads said about it being early in the championship. Whoever wins will get to the Leinster final as I can't see Offaly or Laois putting up much resistance but, as long as we get best Wexford, on that display today neither of them would frighten me too much.

Very Bored wrote: »
    I wonder whether it is time to start reassessing Joe Canning. That he is a good player with huge potential is undoubted but he has to start fulfilling that potential.

Easier said than done in that Galway team. To fulfill potential you basically have to win an All-Ireland. Need more than just himself to do that. Actually think he's carrying a knock at the moment. Wasn't moving all that freely today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Would fancy Galway for the replay.

Donnellan and Canning will benefit from the game today, after limited league action, so maybe they will be more clinical. Canning in particular looked way off the pace.
    And of course Dublin won't have the "home" advantage of Croker

Will RTÉ show the replay? I hope so, as there is no televised hurling next week if they don't.

Will RTÉ show the replay? I hope so, as there is no televised hurling next week if they don't.

Waterford v cork on Sunday

Waterford v cork on Sunday

Oh, great! I thought it was a hurling free weekend next weekend! That should be a cracker.

Oh, great! I thought it was a hurling free weekend next weekend! That should be a cracker.

The other Leinster QF's are on too but not televised I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The other Leinster QF's are on too but not televised I believe.

For obvious reasons

For obvious reasons

I was just about to say something similar until I scrolled down and saw this lol. At least it'll make for a decent Sunday Game on Sunday evening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Replay in Tullamore @4:45 to preceed the LSFC QF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Shows the hypocrisy of the GAA that Croke Park continues to be viewed as a neutral venue for the Dubs. It was played at a Dublin ground therefore the return should be in a Galway one, Salthill.

I thought it was poor fare overall to be honest. The fight in both teams was decent but the pace was turgid and the shooting lacked a lot to be desired, particularly from Galway. I wonder whether it is time to start reassessing Joe Canning. That he is a good player with huge potential is undoubted but he has to start fulfilling that potential. Both teams were way off the pace despite what The Sunday Game lads said about it being early in the championship. Whoever wins will get to the Leinster final as I can't see Offaly or Laois putting up much resistance but, as long as we get best Wexford, on that display today neither of them would frighten me too much.

Canning is coming back after a broken finger so he may not be 100% yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

FatherTed wrote: »
    Canning is coming back after a broken finger so he may not be 100% yet.

No, bad cut to hand, required many stitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Don't think the game was as bad as was said, I'd say the showers during the second half made it difficult judging by the number of mistakes after that. First championship game for all teams tends to be slow starting I've found, though constantly people seem dismayed by the standard in spite of that which I don't understand.

Dublin were particularly slow to get to grips with it, and that is very noticeable when you are trying to work it out of defense. Lot of unforced errors in the backs and putting themselves under pressure particularly in the first half, and that should have led tomorrow goals. Galway uncharacteristically wasteful in front of goal because to be fair when they do get chances they usually take them in my opinion. Still though, some encouraging performances. I like Jason Flynn though Galway fans have mixed views, and I thought he skinned Cian O'Callaghan yesterday. Cathal Mannion turned in a very good display, thought Johnny Glynn showed well in his work particularly early on but has more to offer. Cyril Donnellan is a big plus for them though to have such a big impact only just back in the team, Galway need leaders and he certainly is that. Smyth was good for the most part.

Two big problems they have though is midfield needs bolstering (Cooney looks too slow for the position to me) and also still unsure in the full back line though the full back wasn't badly exposed. Another thing, if a player is not fit play someone else. If Canning has a problem with his hand, a fundamental part of your body to perform adequately in a game of hurling, then put in a different player. Certainly, don't spend the entire game looking at him.

On Dublin, much better in the forwards than last year. Was bemused by two thing from the Sunday Game:

1. Mulcahy said Sutcliffe had an off day, thought he was superb myself.
    2. David Treacy nominated for man of the match? Are you for real? There was easily 4 better forwards than him.

O'Dwyer, Dotsy and Rushe in the second half all showed up well. Schutte is outstanding but teams really need to wise up and limit the space in front of him. It's not easy though when you've got the movement of Sutcliffe and Dotsy to help create that space for them and would also be dangerous themselves if left in space.

They hurled much better second half and maybe should have won it from there. Have to play smarter in the backs though. Can't see Peter Kelly being as bad again.

Advertisement