Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much sleep?

• 31-05-2015 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I'm doing some extreme cramming right now, Is it okay to be staying up studying to about 3 a.m and getting up at 9? 6 hours should be grand shouldn't it ? Or will it make my study become useless?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,050 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not the night before but in the build up yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Moyo

I think 6 hours would be the bare minimum, but would you not just try sleep ASAP and then just get up at 8 so your in a better routine? And whatever you have to cram tonight surely you can fit it in tomorrow :) I need to cram so bad and I can't sleep but I'm too tired to study!?! So annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

I think it's just tonight I'm trying to get the geography physical course fully done and i'll prob have to be up until 3 to finish it, then i'm doing regional tomorrow. So I really don't want to wake up and still have some physical geo to do I just want to get it all finished and when I get up I'll be straight into the regional :)

KA97 wrote: »
    I think it's just tonight I'm trying to get the geography physical course fully done and i'll prob have to be up until 3 to finish it, then i'm doing regional tomorrow. So I really don't want to wake up and still have some physical geo to do I just want to get it all finished and when I get up I'll be straight into the regional :)

Ah yeh I get you. I did that only an hour ago with business, I wanted to go to bed so bad but I only had 4 pages left of a chapter so I finished it,
    I really don't know what I'm gonna do for Geog I have abit more physical to study but basically all of regional, biome and everything else to study :((((( fml

Moyo wrote: »
    Ah yeh I get you. I did that only an hour ago with business, I wanted to go to bed so bad but I only had 4 pages left of a chapter so I finished it,
    I really don't know what I'm gonna do for Geog I have abit more physical to study but basically all of regional, biome and everything else to study :((((( fml

Exactly, same position here. Physical nearly done now but not even writing it out i'm just going over it all highlighting it, not going in as much as I would like it too. Then tomorrow I have everything else for geo to do and that's only one subject, still have maths, biology, history, irish etc. to go over, fml too

• Advertisement

Exactly, same position here. Physical nearly done now but not even writing it out i'm just going over it all highlighting it, not going in as much as I would like it too. Then tomorrow I have everything else for geo to do and that's only one subject, still have maths, biology, history, irish etc. to go over, fml too

Ye same I didn't write notes I just highlighted! Haha about half of it went in if even, I found a good geog site with srps I'll tell you the name of it now, deffo needed for people like me and you who left it last minute! Hahaha and aw stop I don't even know where to find the time I have to concentrate on English tbh, literally haven't looked at maths or Irish

Ye same I didn't write notes I just highlighted! Haha about half of it went in if even, I found a good geog site with srps I'll tell you the name of it now, deffo needed for people like me and you who left it last minute! Hahaha and aw stop I don't even know where to find the time I have to concentrate on English tbh, literally haven't looked at maths or Irish

If you type in on google "multinational company geography srp" the first link is like tonnes of pages of srps for each section in geography

I'm only gonna go for a c3 anyway nothing too high, and the field investigation will be a big help having that done well, so I'm trying not to worry and look at the positives haha. Yea would love the link to the website if it's helpful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Or will it make my study become useless?
    Quiz yourself about what you read after a certain time the previous night, and you'll find out if you are able to remember it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NeonNatural

If you type in on google "multinational company geography srp" the first link is like tonnes of pages of srps for each section in geography
    Mate thank you so muchhh, this is brilliant....is there something like this for History or possibly english? *crammers unite*

• Advertisement

that is brilliant thanks for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Jude13

When I was really in trouble for a paper I would get to sleep early and then get up super early, like 3-4am and cram like a made thing.

Did it for the LC, College, Professional exams and Masters.

Mate thank you so muchhh, this is brilliant....is there something like this for History or possibly english? *crammers unite*

Hahaha crammers unite, I haven't a clue sorry I just came across is when I was looking up about multinational company's! If you find something like that for English let me know because I'm sooo worried for it
    that is brilliant thanks for that!

No probs!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NeonNatural

Jude13 wrote: »
    When I was really in trouble for a paper I would get to sleep early and then get up super early, like 3-4am and cram like a made thing.

Did it for the LC, College, Professional exams and Masters.

Hold on you recommend this?

Hold on you recommend this?

Each to their own, it seemed to work for me. Especially in relation to dates and quote or case law, it was freshly on the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What works for one person can be a disaster for another ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

No one can answer how much sleep you need! Just use a bit of common sense, if your falling asleep on the desk, its time for bedy-byes!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

what works for you? Study late and then wake up with no study in the morning or wake early and study a good bit before? Sleep before bed may consolidate it better but in the morning may be fresher? any experience anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

Personally I prefer studying at night, I tend to remember things better. Plus I hate waking up early.

What works for one person can be a disaster for another ...

Hence the "each to their own" intro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

I start study around 10am, with lots of breaks and then finish as around 9pm because at that stage my head is way too sore! I get around 8-9 hours each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

sdio wrote: »
    Personally I prefer studying at night, I tend to remember things better. Plus I hate waking up early.

Im the exact same, however id rather suffer short term in the morning and have to set around 15 alarms if it allows to to acheive better learning. My mind is definately calmer at night but I may forget it by the morning if you get me. I have avtually never woken up early to study, it has always been a late night. Then again it was work better as it will be more in touch with out circadian rhythm that way.

NB: For argument sake, We all know everyone is different and that one persons advice may be detrimental to another. Therefore all advice should be advice only and not fact. Only way to find out is to test yourself and at this stage it is late to do that. However can we all just assume that humanity is the exact same and what works for "you" may indeed work for me :D just to prevent clogging of the thread with all the "dont listen to him, that doesnt work" etc. If you want an example for what i mean look at the predicitons thread, just clogged with unncessary stuff for people that just want to see what others think are coming up. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

I've slept in until 11 every morning, started studying around 1, finish up around 6/7. What's wrong with me

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SteveZissou

I just made an account this minute to ask the following:

Does anyone here think it's a bad idea to stay up all night Tuesday studying? I have French in the morning and History afterwards, plus it's my last day of exams... Thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Does anyone here think it's a bad idea to stay up all night Tuesday studying? I have French in the morning and History afterwards, plus it's my last day of exams... Thoughts?

Terrible idea, disastrous, don't even think of doing it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hey, welcome to boards.ie :)

I moved you thread from the History thread to here. Have a read through some responses on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Bad idea. If you feel you have to do this I would strongly advise getting some sleep. You'll have to decide whether you want to stay up til 3/4 and get sleep until school time or wake up early to study. Most important thing is being energised for the exam, otherwise all the study could end up pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SteveZissou

I guess I'll just stay up late studying then... Thanks for the replies!

Advertisement