Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Million pound Jaguar...TV..

Options
  • 31-05-2015 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

Watched this last night......interesting that a lot of "enthuastists" frowned the car even though its British....Its this attitude of the rich that make me sad for this hobby,its all about one-upmanship and profit... another reason i cant watch Chasing classic cars...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Watched it online the other day and firstly it was a stunning piece of automotive art that they created but at the same time I totally agree with the attitude of fellas like Lord March and the Goodwood brigade. What Jag has done is shamelessly sold out on their heritage. These were not cars that were pulled off the production line and turned into racecars as was done in '63. As a motorsport purist, it'd seem all wrong to have a car with a racing history as long as your arm and a string of top drivers behind the wheel lining up next to a brand new modern recreation. The more I think about that show the more and more I think it was an incredibly tacky move from Jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

CianDon wrote: »
    Watched it online the other day and firstly it was a stunning piece of automotive art that they created but at the same time I totally agree with the attitude of fellas like Lord March and the Goodwood brigade. What Jag has done is shamelessly sold out on their heritage. These were not cars that were pulled off the production line and turned into racecars as was done in '63. As a motorsport purist, it'd seem all wrong to have a car with a racing history as long as your arm and a string of top drivers behind the wheel lining up next to a brand new modern recreation. The more I think about that show the more and more I think it was an incredibly tacky move from Jaguar

Totally agree. Having said that though, it was great to see the craftsmanship going into a car

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Don't agree. Fabulous car and great kudos to Jaguar for building them. OK they don't have the racing history but so what? They are definitely not replicas as Lord March said. They are Jaguars made by Jaguar so how could they be replicas. They even stuck to the riveted bodywork of the originals in places despite more modern alternatives being available.
    If these cars were for example stuck in a barn back in the sixties and were recently found - they would have no racing pedigree either but I'd bet there would be some serious frenzy about them.

I know it is all probably down to marketing in the end but I love Jaguars and I love that the company put the effort into building these. How many more car companies would do similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

gn3dr wrote: »
    They are Jaguars made by Jaguar so how could they be replicas. They even stuck to the riveted bodywork of the originals in places despite more modern alternatives being available.

They stuck to rivets because they're replicas. Just because they're Jaguar, building the E-types, doesn't mean that they aren't building replicas. They're building a replica of a model they built forty years ago. Morgan, on the other hand, aren't building replicas - since they have continued building and evolving the same model over all these years, but if they suddenly opted to reproduce an old three wheeler model, down to 'replicating' every detail of the legacy design, then they too would be in the replica business, even though the car would be a legitimate Morgan. It just wouldn't be an original car, but a replica of a historic model.

The E-type replicas look the business, unlike the gammy watch, and the briefcase with the naff lining.

The original were built purely to go racing toe to toe with the competition of the day at what was the pinacle of Sports Car racing. Its one thing having the original specs but I'd be as certain as anything no racing car called a 'lightweight' would have been built to millimeter accuracy and with about 14 coats of paint which I think was mentioned at £40 grand. Lets say one was found in a barn as you mentioned (anyone with such information, drop me a PM!!!), the difference is that it left the gate of Jaguar owned by a racer intending to compete with some of historys greatest sportscars driven by some of the best drivers of all time on truly legendary tracks. These new yokes are built for what exactly?? To sit in the garages of the uber-wealthy and turn up to historic meetings and trundle around emulating the glory days of a time at which most of these cars components were still in their natural form as soil and mud!! What Jag have done is built a car for the likes of Pebble Beach by passing it off as building it for Goodwood, Monteray, Classic LeMans etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Bit of a snobby attitude. Maybe it would be more correct to call these recreations but they are not replicas. A replica is something like an AC Cobra kit car. These are actually e-types not replicas of e-types like for instance a Challenger kit car would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

Bit of a grey area really isn't it. They are not replicas but the continuation of a series but without the history. They are purely toys for the rich and beautifully made but no more.

gn3dr wrote: »
    Bit of a snobby attitude. Maybe it would be more correct to call these recreations but they are not replicas. A replica is something like an AC Cobra kit car. These are actually e-types not replicas of e-types like for instance a Challenger kit car would be.

Dictionary.com define 'replica' as 'a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision'. Im giving my opinion as a motor sport enthusiast. Lookit, I'm never gonna be in a position to buy one of these vehicles but when I do spend my money to go and attend events where older racing cars are celebrated as I regulary do I want to see true historic race cars, not something that for all intensive purposes is the same but was built a few months ago. For me its all about the purity of the original, a race car built to compete, versus the 'recreation' built to emulate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

A question for ye lads...if this was Ferrari building one of their classic cars , I for one would be of the opinion that there would be a Q around the block for one, thoughts..???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

A question for ye lads...if this was Ferrari building one of their classic cars , I for one would be of the opinion that there would be a Q around the block for one, thoughts..???

I doubt Jaguar will have much difficulty shifting these E-Types either. The popularity of butchering Ferrari 250 GTE's into 250 GTO clones suggests that there's a ready market for a new batch of GTO replicas, if Ferrari was ever put them on the market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement