Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Sim/Network option for Interrailing?

• 31-05-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

My daughter is going interrailing in a few weeks and while in Ireland she uses 48 however I believe 48 does not do roaming or at least do it well without add-ons.

What would be the best options for her in terms of a sim/nework to cover her for text/calls and maybe some data when free wifi is not an option.

Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

eddiem74 wrote: »
    My daughter is going interrailing in a few weeks and while in Ireland she uses 48 however I believe 48 does not do roaming or at least do it well without add-ons.

What would be the best options for her in terms of a sim/nework to cover her for text/calls and maybe some data when free wifi is not an option.

Suggestions welcome.

Best option is Meteor. Free incoming calls when roaming throughout Europe and 99c for 50MB data per day or 14.99 for 1GB within 30 days. If she is gone for for than 10 days, the 1GB addon is probably worth it. Meteor also let you use their MyMeteor app to send up to 400 free texts even when roaming or on WiFi. She can text you or others in Ireland and you can ring her back without costing a cent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 cb1959

Suggestions welcome.

Our eldest is roaming in Europe at the moment. Ported from 48 to Meteor before going - it was very easy. 48 don't offer data roaming, and you have to pay for add-ons even for incoming voice. Meteor free incoming calls is great, and the Meteor data roaming is reasonably priced and essential when you don't have WiFi. The other kids have also ported to Meteor from 48 due to all the problems with the O2 network which 48 piggybacks on. They moaned about it at first, but now they love it because of the higher data allowance and because the network actually works! Your daughter should port to Meteor, at least for the Summer if not for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

cb1959 wrote: »
    Our eldest is roaming in Europe at the moment. Ported from 48 to Meteor before going - it was very easy. 48 don't offer data roaming, and you have to pay for add-ons even for incoming voice. Meteor free incoming calls is great, and the Meteor data roaming is reasonably priced and essential when you don't have WiFi. The other kids have also ported to Meteor from 48 due to all the problems with the O2 network which 48 piggybacks on. They moaned about it at first, but now they love it because of the higher data allowance and because the network actually works! Your daughter should port to Meteor, at least for the Summer if not for longer.

What plan are they on?

I know when in Ireland €15 per month can get you free calls and texts to any network plus 1GB of data with Tesco Mobile for example. 48 was similar but did not roam well but I think Tesco does roam although does not offer free incoming calls but other roaming charges seem similar across networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 cb1959

What plan are they on?

I know when in Ireland €15 per month can get you free calls and texts to any network plus 1GB of data with Tesco Mobile for example. 48 was similar but did not roam well but I think Tesco does roam although does not offer free incoming calls but other roaming charges seem similar across networks.

Our eldest is on the €20 Meteor PAYG - Unlimited any-network-voice & 7.5GB data when at home. However, the Meteor roaming deals do not require you to be on this plan. Our younger kids are on a €10 a month plan with Meteor, and you can probably still get the roaming deal even if you aren't on any monthly plan, although I haven't tried this. If your daughter is going to be away for the Summer, then she doesn't really need to worry about being on the right domestic plan until she gets back.

Forget about Tesco Mobile if she wants to have data while roaming - they charge €250 for 1GB vs Meteor €14.99! Also Tesco is on the same Three network that is giving all the problems, so best avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Vodafone Red data is worth considering. €2.99 for 200Mb per day, if you use it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement