Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Given his age there's an element of resale value pushing the fee up, to counter that there's an element of no other club came with cash too but Liverpool held all the aces :)

I am sorry but even common sense tells you Heskey is not moving for £40m in the current market if he was around now.

Benefit of hindsight.

I'd believe it.

That year Van Nistelrooy was signed for an English record fee of 19m, quickly followed by Veron and 28m. The latter was regarded as insane money. It would be a huge fee today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Knex. wrote: »
    Its calculated by looking at a transfer's percentages of the total transfer fee for that window, the average for the window, etc, I imagine.
    http://tomkinstimes.com/2010/02/tpi%C2%A9-the-complete-guide-to-football-inflation/
    There is almost infinitely more money in the game now, so that, aside from some natural sense of inflation, where the price of everything tends to rise, there is also ‘football inflation’, which reflects the increased TV revenue and, more recently, the influx of billionaire owners who don’t have to balance the books.
    This project came about after Graeme Riley contacted me upon reading my own method of comparing players: the Relative Transfer System (RTS) ©. RTS was devised for my book Dynasty, as a way of comparing the signings of Bill Shankly with those of his seven successors as Liverpool manager. For this, I set every record-breaking transfer at 100%; Francis and Robinho therefore both had that value. Anyone who then cost half of the record, would have a 50% value, and so on. So, in 1980, £500,000 was 50%, whereas in 2009, £16.25m was 50%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Snippet on Benteke, etc.
    Benteke’s record has been more consistent since he broke into Belgian football as a teen, and he offers the physical presence at 6’4” that Lacazette wouldn’t, at 5’9”.

That is just fecking code for headers isn't it? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Still £100m outlay is a huge risk to take on a 20 year old.

Only if £100m is a lot of money to the person spending it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Like most i was not overly excited by benteke as a prospect first at that price,the longer it goes on though the more i am warming to the idea ,the prospect of lacazette seemed better at first but basically like most on here i know **** all about him,on paper and i know paper has let us down in the past,he seems our best realistic prospect,they need to bite the bullet and pay for him because there is the possibility that some one else will come in and meet the release clause,while the price may be high the wages should be reasonable and the overall package ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That is just fecking code for headers isn't it? :mad:

As long as they go in, they all count. Just ask Robbie Keane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Only if £100m is a lot of money to the person spending it.

I don't care who you are, 100m is a lot of money to anyone.
    If it isn't, there's something wrong with you.
    There are less than 2000 billionaires in the world afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Sounds like a list of potential buyers FSG should be targetting when the time comes to hand over the reigns :p

BTW, I absolutely can't believe Begovic is moving to Chelsea to warm the bench. He's 28 and just about to hit his peak 5-6 years as a goalkeeper. WTF??? I really wish we'd signed him. £8m FFS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Would people be happy if we signed Pedro and Illarramendi or is one out and out striker the priority?

Can Pedro play through the middle or is he more of a winger / striker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

I don't care who you are, 100m is a lot of money to anyone.
    If it isn't, there's something wrong with you.

The family as a whole than own City are estimated to be worth over 1 trillion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

As long as they go in, they all count. Just ask Robbie Keane!

He's still got it. He scored this one at the weekend in Gerrards debut.

http://streamable.com/cqk1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Next season's Jersey being made on a loom I see.
    The correct term is 'lovingly hand crafted';)
    x43r0 wrote: »
    I admittedly have a massive man crush on Lacazette but stuff like that is hard to argue with.

Starting to come around to Benteke
    Yeah, same here.

Just watch United come in and blow us out of the water now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Starting to come around to Benteke

Thats the final stage, Acceptance :)

Unpalatable enough read if you're a Liverpool fan but I find almost all of it hard to argue with.

http://www.espnfc.com.au/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2521162/raheem-sterling-the-right-kind-of-player-for-manchester-city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Thats the final stage, Acceptance :)

A bit like Greece, we are not accepting that(you can not have it) and then, ****, why did we not take it when we had the chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kirby wrote: »
    He's still got it. He scored this one at the weekend in Gerrards debut.

http://streamable.com/cqk1

Christ that's some goal - great control!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Unpalatable enough read if you're a Liverpool fan but I find almost all of it hard to argue with.

http://www.espnfc.com.au/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2521162/raheem-sterling-the-right-kind-of-player-for-manchester-city

I read a very pro United piece on the same website recently, so combining that with the almost goading and condescending use of terminology towards Liverpool fans in this piece here, I'm not going to dwell too much on their opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

44/49m or whatever.....who do you buy?

Benteke isn't the final piece signing that gets us CL IMO, whether you rate him or not. Where do we go from here?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

NukaCola wrote: »
    44/49m or whatever.....who do you buy?

Benteke isn't the final piece signing that gets us CL IMO, whether you rate him or not. Where do we go from here?

Reus!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Reus!!!!

Lots of people are rumouring it.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I read a very pro United piece on the same website recently, so combining that with the almost goading and condescending use of terminology towards Liverpool fans in this piece here, I'm not going to dwell too much on their opinion.

That doesn't make much sense. ESPN isn't agenda driven against Liverpool and neither is the site some religious cult. It was written by a freelance journalist who has written numerous articles for the guardian among many other publications.

http://www.theguardian.com/profile/nick-miller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reus isn't a striker though.

We need an out and out striker first.

But I would love a front 4 of..

Firmino
    Coutinho
    Reus

Striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Stop with the Reus talk ffs!!!

• Advertisement

Is it unpalatable though? They came 2nd last year and won it the season before, they have huge spending power.

For me it does detail why he wanted to move, more money & more chance of trophies, as the article more or less spells out only the deluded Liverpool fan can't see that.

As I've said many times, we overaxhieved in 2013/2014 and underachieved last season, building on the overachievement by propelling the club into perennial top 4 finishes is fanciful dreamy talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Reus will never happen unfortunately. Dortmund lad through and through; he'd only go to a CL club minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pedro not about to sign for Chelsea it seems, maybe that's still an angle.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/it-s-true-as-chelsea-move-reported-star-confirms-offers-and-can-g

All this Rues talk is just an elaborate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Only way we're signing Reus is if we cod him into thinking he's signing a Bayern contract, then you peel off the Bayern sticker and reveal our badge.

*cue evil laugh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

All this Rues talk is just an elaborate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Pedro and benteke would be fantastic business

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Thats very unfair on Gerrard, he provided so many of our goals and we will doing very well to replace them.
    Our reliance on Gerrard for goals last season said more about the state of the team than it does about Gerrard.

Can't understand the mad demand for Reus, we need a striker who will actually score goals and a DM before indulgances like Reus.

ricero wrote: »

Somebody distract United and Spurs so we can send Ayre to take care of, "business".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Pedro not about to sign for Chelsea it seems, maybe that's still an angle.

Pedro seems a bit more realistic than Reus imo, as he's a benchwarmer at Barca, unlike Reus at Dortmund, and he's also won every trophy available to him, so a change of scenery in a new league with the chance to play every game might appeal to him. Still very unlikely to happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

marno21 wrote: »
    Our reliance on Gerrard for goals last season said more about the state of the team than it does about Gerrard.

Can't understand the mad demand for Reus, we need a striker who will actually score goals and a DM before indulgances like Reus.

We need a striker way above any other priorities

Once we have that striker, a world-class player like Reus would transform us. Would definitely not be an indulgence.

Give me a top quality attacking player like Reus over a top quality DM any day. Goals will get us 4th. Reus would score and create goals.

However . . .

We are not signing Reus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

That doesn't make much sense. ESPN isn't agenda driven against Liverpool and neither is the site some religious cult. It was written by a freelance journalist who has written numerous articles for the guardian among many other publications.

http://www.theguardian.com/profile/nick-miller

A freelance journo? Makes sense so that he doesn't have a set home to write about "deluded" Liverpool fans, or to put words in the mouths of fans (I don't think you'll find many Pool fans disagreeing that it isn't a "promotion" in his words going to City).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'll just leave this here....

I'll just leave this here....

He must have heard my caption earlier.

"When you wok, through the storm.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wouldn't actually be that keen on Pedro. He was a very good player but last 2 years he has been poor. Scores some goals when Barca are 2 or 3 up but does not much else anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

ricero wrote: »

If we can only sign 2 more (and can't see why we'd sign more than that), those would do nicely.

Unless we could get someone like Bender. But I can't see us signing another CM, not when we already have Can, Milner, Hendo, Lucas and Allen signing for 3 slots (and Coutinho, if you are playing him as one of the 3).

Interesting, statement from Atleti says that THEY recalled him, we didn't send him back -

A club statement read: "Javier Manquillo will not fulfil his second season on loan with Liverpool. The player and Atletico Madrid decided that the winger from Madrid would go to Anfield's club for two seasons to enjoy the necessary minutes to continue growing football-wise. However, in this first season with the 'Reds', the defender has not had all the minutes he and our club consider necessary for that purpose of accumulating experiences in his sports growth, so by mutual consent, it has been decided that he will not follow under the discipline of the English team."

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Firmino
    Coutinho
    Reus

Striker

sturridge_2788530a.jpg

MD1990 wrote: »
    Wouldn't actually be that keen on Pedro. He was a very good player but last 2 years he has been poor. Scores some goals when Barca are 2 or 3 up but does not much else anymore.

Hard to imagine what a player can do only ever coming on from the bench, has rarely had a solid run in the team due to the arrivals of Neymar then Suarez...

So the Express are saying we will bid £46M for Reus "as soon as the Sterling funds clear". Cause, you know, that cheque could bounce...:rolleyes:

Firmino
    Coutinho
    Reus

Striker

That means we are expecting Firmino and Reus to act as wingers, including the defensive element, I assume in front of Milner and Hendo?

Boggers doing his bit to attract Marko, it's in good hands...

PAY-Liverpool-train-in-Bangkok.jpg

Rodgers - "I heard you. You were over there, and you said "Steady"..."
    Ibe - "Not this sh*t again..."

PAY-Liverpool-train-in-Bangkok.jpg

Dickerty wrote: »
    That means we are expecting Firmino and Reus to act as wingers, including the defensive element, I assume in front of Milner and Hendo?

Well If Benteke is the main target as a striker it would seem to me we will be playing one up front with and lots of attacking midfielders playing off him chipping in with goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Dickerty wrote: »

In the same way barca ask Messi and Neymar...

If you'd honestly have any issue with that lineup you're insane. And that's ignoring the fact that Firmino actually has amazing work rate without the ball. I'd tell them to never track back. They can score one or two we'll score 4. Have a check and see how many times the top scorers have won the league title in the last 15 year... Goals win leagues. You don't need to worry about defending against 50% of the premiership. If you can score goals they won't keep up.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    sturridge_2788530a.jpg
    Well I really hope it's the your picture we will be seeing more of this season and not this one.
    B7J1qAgIgAA4K2p.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement