Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering a vintage vehicle that has NO documents

Options
  • 31-05-2015 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hoping someone on here has gone through this process and can point me in the right direction. I've bought a vintage car that has been lying abandoned for years and will require complete restoration. There is no logbook or number plates with the vehicle. There is a chassis number and an engine number. The dealer I'm buying from has had the car for years but doesn't have any paperwork and the previous owner is dead.

How would I go about getting a new logbook ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Hmm...it's a tricky one with so little to go on. A few questions -

- Do you want to try and get the original registration of the vehicle (or would a ZV or 'Year' registration suffice for you)?
    - Do you know if the vehicle was ever actually registered in Ireland (e.g. ex-UK)?
    - Would it be possible to make contact with any of the last owner's relatives (who may have some shred of paperwork with the registration number on it, or other relevant info about the vehicle)?
    - What make of vehicle is it (some vehicle makes have excellent owner clubs who can help in such matters, while other makes have no owners club-support available, e.g. it may be possible to track some records via an owners club using the chassis number)?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭slattsteen

hi, did you get organised since?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Whiskey7

Slattsteen sorry only getting round to replying to this now! I did get sorted thanks to the help of one of the military vehicle clubs and a helpful person in the VRT centre in Ballymun. Basically you need the documents as stated on their website. In my case I had no logbook as the vehicle had not been registered anywhere, so a letter on headed paper from a classic car club stating the vehicles details,year, model, vin etc will suffice instead. Bring it for inspection and show that it is in running condition (car should be complete, i.e. have lights, seats etc.). They submit the paperwork to Revenue who do their own 'investigation' and you get a text within a couple of days saying your quote for VRT is available, ring this number. Once you have your quote you can go and pay it in the VRT centre (don't need to bring vehicle again)and you get your reg. in my case I brought it on a Tuesday evening(was asked if I wanted ZV or Year reg), got the text around 11 on Wednesday and was paid up (€200) and on my way that afternoon. Very efficient!

Advertisement