Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kennels for aggressive dog

• 31-05-2015 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

A friend is looking for a boarding kennels for her dog, however as she expected she's running into problems because her dog is nervous and has been known to snap when scared. She's a sweet dog but very skitty. We tried introducing her slowly to the kennels I use by taking her for visits with my two and slowly leaving her for a few minutes in the cage. After a couple of weeks of this she still barked every time someone approached her cage but didn't snap. The kennels eventually said enough was enough.

Daft thing is it is all nerves and once she realises and settles she's fine. I was wondering if a kennels run by a behaviourist might be the answer and if anyone could recommend one. She is Dublin/Meath area but doesn't mind travelling.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'll drop you a PM. I know of a place that often deals with such dogs.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

VonVix wrote: »

Thanks VonVix just replied :-)

I know of a place too. Not far from Dublin and have had very good experiences in the four years I've been using them. PM me if you're still looking for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

When I ran my boarding kennels I took in a husky that had previously been boarded in a vets that had boarding facilities. The dog only spent one night there, but they were too scared to let it out, so the poor thing stayed in a small run the whole time. He appeared very aggressive when in the kennel here, but it was just nervousness, when I went into his kennel, he was fine, and then realised we were ok and loved coming here. I hope you and your friend find somewhere that she feels comfortable in.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

VonVix wrote: »

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I'm in the same position. Looking for a kennel for my very nervous dog. She is fine with other dogs, its strangers that she's very wary of and she barks non-stop at them. When she gets to know someone she loves them to bits, but it takes time to get to know her. Its easier for her to be around women than men, so a kennel with lots of female employees would be ideal!

We would love a night away :)

• Advertisement

piperh wrote: »
    A friend is looking for a boarding kennels for her dog, however as she expected she's running into problems because her dog is nervous and has been known to snap when scared. She's a sweet dog but very skitty. We tried introducing her slowly to the kennels I use by taking her for visits with my two and slowly leaving her for a few minutes in the cage. After a couple of weeks of this she still barked every time someone approached her cage but didn't snap. The kennels eventually said enough was enough.

Daft thing is it is all nerves and once she realises and settles she's fine. I was wondering if a kennels run by a behaviourist might be the answer and if anyone could recommend one. She is Dublin/Meath area but doesn't mind travelling.

Thanks

Hi piperh

What kennels did your friend use in the end and were they able to care for your friends dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

maybe you should look for someone who boards dogs in their own homes? There are plenty of people out there who offer this service now (rather than kennels) - I have a nervous dog, who is much happier in the place I bring him now, where he is in a lady's house with the other dogs, she takes in. Total chaos, but he enjoys it - well not enjoys, hes a total wuss, but he is happier there rather in a cage/kennel which just doesnt suit him at all.

Where are you based?

aonb wrote: »
    maybe you should look for someone who boards dogs in their own homes? There are plenty of people out there who offer this service now (rather than kennels) - I have a nervous dog, who is much happier in the place I bring him now, where he is in a lady's house with the other dogs, she takes in. Total chaos, but he enjoys it - well not enjoys, hes a total wuss, but he is happier there rather in a cage/kennel which just doesnt suit him at all.

Where are you based?

Thank you :) North Dublin, but will travel to find the right place. Could you PM me the details of your minder if it is near enough to Dublin. I can then contact her and see what she says.

Advertisement