Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot Get Hyper-V Ext VS To Work

• 31-05-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi All,

New PC running W8.1 and trying to setup Hyper-V for the 1st time.
    Hyper-v components installed without issue, but I am having a problem.

Everytime I setup an external virtual switch, I lose connectivity on the host.
    Tried everything I can find on the Interweb, all of which seems to suggest this to be very much ABC and straight forward.

I am now wondering if it could be something else like my UPC Technicolor cable modem.

At a loss, so appreciate any ideas as this is driving me nuts.
    Everything else on the PC runs fine,

Cheers
    Whitey

Comments

When configuring the switch, are you enabling the option to allow the host to share the network adapter? This has to be enabled unless you have a second NIC that you want to dedicate to VMs.

When you do this, a virtual Ethernet adapter is created and if you have any static IPs or the like, you'll need to configure these against the vEthernet adapter and not your actual one.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

Thanks for the reply.

Only one NIC and I am checking the shared checkbox.
    Some posts even suggest that you need to uncheck and recheck to get it to work which I have also done -still no joy.

My router acts as DHCP, no static IP addresses configured.
    When I run and ipconfig after enabling the Ext VS, the only adapter which shows up is the Ext VS (screenshot attached B4 and After)

There may be something here I am missing, but I just don't see it.

Cheers again.

Hmm, everything looks OK. Should be working. Have you tried updating your Ethernet card driver? Could be something as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

Ethernet driver is the latest from Intel website and just to be sure, I downgraded through the 3 previous versions too with the same result.

Maybe its time to look at alternatives :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've seen similar issues before on a couple of Dell servers, I think it depends on the NIC and/or driver. Do you have a local router you could use to test? Ideally turn off DHCP and just set up a local network with the NIC configured for an external VSwitch, manually configure the IP in your VM and host, then connect something else to the router, give it an IP and see if you can send traffic to the host and/or VM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement