Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aero press-do I really need a grinder too?

• 31-05-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

As per title, I'm fairly set on getting an aeropress in a move away from nespresso.

For someone starting out, Would I really need a grinder like the perlox, or would I get away with pre-ground coffee?

I see that coffee angel offer coffee ground for aeropress, hence the question

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

you don't "Need" one as such, you will still get decent coffee from your areopress. It is preground coffee though, so it will not be freshly ground.

I say buy the aeropress and get the pre ground for a while. Once you've done that for a while though think about getting a hand grinder as your next purchase. It's a great investment and you will really notice a difference.

coffee starts to lose its flavour within 5 mins of grinding so it will be much more flavoursome and aromatic if you can grind freshly. So while you don't need one it is something you'll want to look at if you want really good coffee ( and the fact that you are moving from Nespresso seems to indicate that you do)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Try preground first, ideally good stuff like from CA.
    Think everyone, if serious or likes coffee, will eventually buy an electric burr grinder. The convenience is brilliant.
    Freshly ground has that "oily, damp'ish" texture. Noticably fresher flavour..
    ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Thanks guys.

From the little bit of reading I've done about the aeropress, I know the grind should be a little coarser than espresso, but finer than cafetiere grade.

Would I get away with espresso until I get to grips with the system etc?

Or should I stick to the aeropress grade grinds such as that available with coffee angel? And if so, any other suppliers doing similar?

And just to muddy the waters further-as an intro to proper coffee, should I bypass the aeropress and go for a cheapo espresso maker like the lidl one linked to elsewhere??

Sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Feck it, I came over all gung-ho and ordered from bailies coffee.

3 bags aeropress grind and the aeropress, free delivery, £33.

In and around the same price from coffee angel for the system and two bags

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

That's serious value all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭comete

The problem with using a grind as fine as espresso grind is that you might find it hard to press the liquid through. This can be solved using the inverted method. The beauty of a finer grind is that you don't need to brew for as long.

All a matter of taste though, experiment with grind vs brew time.

As long as you enjoy it.

Advertisement