Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Pro ISO or disk?

• 31-05-2015 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get a copy of Windows XP Professional?

My damn PC had a hard disk failure. I have the serial number to install but have misplaced the original disk. :mad: The hardware is old, so I doubt it will run Windows 7.

Any help would be great. I am avoiding those dodgy download sites. I just either need the disk or where I can get a genuine ISO to make a boot/install CD or USB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

it's for my folks, not me. Personally, I use linux and solaris a lot in work, have both Mac and Windows at home. I'll use any OS that does the job I need.

The folks have a hard enough time using Windows, so I want to keep to that, for them. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I've downloaded a couple of things including a copy of XP from getintopc.com

They're kind of weird but they don't seem to be dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm sure you're aware of this, but XP does not receive security patches anymore. Its not really advisable to run it on the internet these days.

My folks were XP-ites for years and I set them up on Mint XFCE a while ago - havent heard a single complaint. Set it up with unattended upgrades so I never have to do anything. Runs like a charm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How old is the PC? Unless it is extremely old (10+ years) it will run Windows 10 provided it has 2GB of RAM

Windows 10 is currently in beta, the final version will be released next month. The good thing is that it is free to install the beta now, and free to upgrade to the full version next month. It is also lighter to run than either Windows 8.1, Windows 8, or Windows 7

And it would be much easier for your folks to get used to than any flavour of Linux

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

unkel wrote: »
    How old is the PC? Unless it is extremely old (10+ years) it will run Windows 10 provided it has 2GB of RAM

Windows 10 is currently in beta, the final version will be released next month. The good thing is that it is free to install the beta now, and free to upgrade to the full version next month. It is also lighter to run than either Windows 8.1, Windows 8, or Windows 7
    It won't be a free upgrade for a Windows XP machine (and even if it was, he'd have to have the XP ISO that he's looking for before he could perform the XP->Win10 upgrade!).

• Advertisement

Bayberry wrote: »
    It won't be a free upgrade for a Windows XP machine (and even if it was, he'd have to have the XP ISO that he's looking for before he could perform the XP->Win10 upgrade!).

Apparently, Windows Insiders will get the RTM version free. So you could theoretically install the pre-release version now and get the free update that way. Drivers might be a problem though.

Karsini wrote: »
    Apparently, Windows Insiders will get the RTM version free. So you could theoretically install the pre-release version now and get the free update that way.
    I think that it's been confirmed that Insiders won't be able to upgrade and activate their "free preview" unless the preview was installed on an already licensed Win7/Win8 machine.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-rtm-upgrade-windows-insiders-will-still-need-valid-windows-8-license

I got it sorted. Had to stick Windows 7 on the machine. The install for Win XP kept crashing .. 07B error. No idea why. Anyway, it's a working machine again now.

The full story - the machine was infected with a cryptobot infection. So, I have lost all the photos and documents on the machine. I tried so many times to kill off the cryptobot, but every time I thought it was gone, it came back.

Anyway, machine is now working, but all documents and photos gone. :mad:

I'd put money on it that the SATA controller is in AHCI mode. That would cause a 7B if installing from a SATA optical drive when using a XP disc with no AHCI drivers integrated (which includes any generic disc).

Ransomware grinds my gears though. :(

Ah, I tried booting from USB, CD and even run the install from another HDD and it always failed.

Anyway, it's working now with Windows 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Paulw wrote: »
    I got it sorted. Had to stick Windows 7 on the machine. The install for Win XP kept crashing .. 07B error. No idea why. Anyway, it's a working machine again now.

The full story - the machine was infected with a cryptobot infection. So, I have lost all the photos and documents on the machine. I tried so many times to kill off the cryptobot, but every time I thought it was gone, it came back.

Anyway, machine is now working, but all documents and photos gone. :mad:

For a machine in service as long as that, you didn't have any sort of external backup???

Overheal wrote: »
    For a machine in service as long as that, you didn't have any sort of external backup???

Not my machine, as such. My folks. And no, not a backup in sight.

Bayberry wrote: »
    I think that it's been confirmed that Insiders won't be able to upgrade and activate their "free preview" unless the preview was installed on an already licensed Win7/Win8 machine.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-rtm-upgrade-windows-insiders-will-still-need-valid-windows-8-license

I think the interpretation from that major windows website is wrong :)

I still expect an upgrade from insider preview (free) to RTM will activate / stay activated

A 100% free OS without the need for a previous kosher installation of 7 / 8 / 8.1

I could be wrong of course but we'll just have to wait and see :)

unkel wrote: »
    I think the interpretation from that major windows website is wrong :)
    That one and and every other tech website that commented on the issue. "You'll have to be upgrading from a system with a valid license for 7 or 8.x." is a lot less open to interpretation than many of Mr Aul's other tweets.

Maybe they are all pessimists and maybe I'm an optimist. I still reckon beta to RTM will activate and will be free. Bring on RTM so we will know who is right. Everyone else in the world, or me :)

Advertisement