Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat urinating over litter tray

• 31-05-2015 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

I have a 7 year old female cat. I use clumping litter and got her the biggest litter tray possible as she won't get used to a hooded litter tray at this stage. Problem is when she goes in to the litter tray she progressively straightens her back while she is urinating meaning urine goes over the litter tray. I put papers under it and at the side and continuously clean any scent she might be getting but she still does this. Just cleaned the whole area again, put in brand new litter to watch her do the very same thing. Any suggestions?! Going on about a year now. Goes to the vet every year for bloods and is healthy. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Get a much deeper litter tray? More like a basin?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

That's exactly what I did! Got a really big and deep litter tray. She has loads of room but tends to use the same corner near the wall. Cats usually keep their whole back low while they urinate so don't know why she has gotten in to this habit. Might ask my vet for ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

How about making an L shaped litter tray? If she has a habit of pointing in one aide perhaps it may help catch it? Say, stand up another litter tray within the one on the floor?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    How about making an L shaped litter tray? If she has a habit of pointing in one aide perhaps it may help catch it? Say, stand up another litter tray within the one on the floor?

I had tried something like that when I had the previous tray. I put the hood behind it and it was covered in urine every day. So then found this really big deep one which seemed to make a difference initially. But, yeah, I will have to become creative I guess. I will see what I can do about having plastic all up along the end near the wall she uses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Or just buy one of those storage boxes about 12 or 13 inches deep. It's easy to cut a U shaped "entrance" at the front edge with a hacksaw blade to allow easy access.

I have a 2 year old neutered female who always starts out squatting but gradually lifts her rear end up until she looks like she's spraying. I just made a tall litter box from one of those plastic storage boxes. Works perfectly!

• Advertisement

Rancid wrote: »
    Or just buy one of those storage boxes about 12 or 13 inches deep. It's easy to cut a U shaped "entrance" at the front edge with a hacksaw blade to allow easy access.

I have a 2 year old neutered female who always starts out squatting but gradually lifts her rear end up until she looks like she's spraying. I just made a tall litter box from one of those plastic storage boxes. Works perfectly!

This is what she does exactly! She starts out urinating normally but at the end she looks like she is spraying. Of course she keeps digging then as she can't cover it herself so I even used enzyme cleaners to get rid of scent. That sounds like a great idea about the storage box. She's so trouble free in every other way.

angeline wrote: »
    This is what she does exactly! She starts out urinating normally but at the end she looks like she is spraying. Of course she keeps digging then as she can't cover it herself so I even used enzyme cleaners to get rid of scent. That sounds like a great idea about the storage box. She's so trouble free in every other way.
    Same story here, I was forever cleaning up *behind* the litter box and just had to find a way to solve the problem.
    I actually measured her height, and then bought a plastic box a few inches taller so there could be no mistakes!

Same story here, I was forever cleaning up *behind* the litter box and just had to find a way to solve the problem.
    I actually measured her height, and then bought a plastic box a few inches taller so there could be no mistakes!

Thanks a mill for that. Really great idea! Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

First, I'd say try cleaning the area around the tray with vinegar (although it sounds like maybe you've already tried that).

Is the tray up against a wall? It probably is... She's probably scent marking. Perhaps try putting a hooded litter box in the same spot... It's worth a go, one or two accidents is probably preferable to having to clean up a plssy floor forever!

Also, is she neutered? If she's not, she could be trying to attract a mate... And you probably know it's much better for their health to get them neutered, but I'm pretty sure you have to do it before they're 2 or 3 or it won't have the same benefits.

Chloris wrote: »
    First, I'd say try cleaning the area around the tray with vinegar (although it sounds like maybe you've already tried that).

Is the tray up against a wall? It probably is... She's probably scent marking. Perhaps try putting a hooded litter box in the same spot... It's worth a go, one or two accidents is probably preferable to having to clean up a plssy floor forever!

Also, is she neutered? If she's not, she could be trying to attract a mate... And you probably know it's much better for their health to get them neutered, but I'm pretty sure you have to do it before they're 2 or 3 or it won't have the same benefits.

Hi. Yes she was neutered quite young and I used vinegar and expensive enzyme cleaners. It is up against a wall and I tried a hooded litter tray even with the hood held up but she is too set in her ways now. I agree re the scent marking, but think at this the best thing is to buy a much higher plastic storage box as suggested above. I feel like her slave cleaning and scrubbing every time she urinates!

• Advertisement

angeline wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that. Really great idea! Problem solved.
    dcv6ua.jpg
    This is the one I made, definitely worth your while trying something like this. :)

dcv6ua.jpg
    This is the one I made, definitely worth your while trying something like this. :)

Oh wow cool!! That is definitely the job. Excited at the thought of all her urine actually staying in the tray!!! Yay!!! Will do a major clean of the area and put one of those there. No more scrubbing the skirting board and wall!! I love how smoothly the entrance was cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

That's a really cool idea!

angeline, I met a guy in the pet shop yesterday when I was buying litter who said after he'd changed his last child's final dirty nappy, he vowed never to clean up anything's excrement again and now only has outdoor cats... but the likes of us are perpetual slaves to our feline friends and their lovely companionship! I'm glad you've found that solution, I hope it goes well. :)

Chloris wrote: »
    That's a really cool idea!

angeline, I met a guy in the pet shop yesterday when I was buying litter who said after he'd changed his last child's final dirty nappy, he vowed never to clean up anything's excrement again and now only has outdoor cats... but the likes of us are perpetual slaves to our feline friends and their lovely companionship! I'm glad you've found that solution, I hope it goes well. :)

She's worth it. Such an affectionate little angel. This is the only tiny problem I've had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

That's great, how did you cut it so smoothly?

MrWalsh wrote: »
    That's great, how did you cut it so smoothly?
    A good sharp hacksaw blade.
    I took the blade out of the saw, wrapped it in an old rag so I could get a good grip on it and just started sawing.
    I used a marker to draw the cutting line and the plastic is easy enough to saw through.
    The just smoothed off the edges with one of those sanding sponges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I bought a 110 litre clear plastic storage box from Homestore & More. Works like a charm! My boys are only two years old so I didn't bother making a low entry point, they hop in and out not a bother. But for a seven year old girlie, I would. You can place duct tape over the rim you cut out, so there are no sharp bits she can catch herself on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Great idea, I'm going to try this.
    I have a 14 yr old cat who stopped using the large covered tray, I think it's too small to turn around now he's getting stiff, and has gone over the edge of the ordinary tray a little a couple of times. Ours (4) all go in and out during the day, but are kept in at night, so we have a couple of litter trays.

Advertisement