Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So What makes a good Classical Recording?

Options
  • 31-05-2015 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭

My dad always went with the conductor first. that was back some time ago now.

But I somehow did follow in his footsteps to a degree and have a lot of recordings from the 60's 70's.

But these days I'm more focusing on the artist- especially now we can preview before purchase and all that.

how do you go about purchasing a recording of classical music?

do you go back decades and get the classic recordings or look to more modern interpretations?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Personally I listen to a variety of artists on Youtube, and when I find ones that I really really love I pick up their albums. In terms of orchestras, I don't tend to care about the conductors all that much. The orchestra will usually have its own sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Personally I listen to a variety of artists on Youtube, and when I find ones that I really really love I pick up their albums. In terms of orchestras, I don't tend to care about the conductors all that much. The orchestra will usually have its own sound.

Conductors in the last used to greatly influence the sound of the orchestra though, don't you think?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Not in a way I have yet to appreciate :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

When you put left ear phone into your right ear and you notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

I have to say, that these days I appreciate a good recording first and foremost. A crisp sound makes the experience all the better thought the sound systems I have invested in.

After that, it's the interpretation. That can mean a good solo performer like in the Bach cello suites, or a good conductor at the helm of an orchestra. The orchestra really has very little to do with the quality of the recording. Unfortunately they are just an instrument being controlled by the conductor, and these days the "instruments" are all so perfected that there's no discernible difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement