Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chewy treats for 14 year old dog

• 31-05-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi at the moment my younger dog is getting a bone while the 14 year old isn't because I'm afraid she will choke on it. Anyway she is getting chewy treats that last 2 minutes and then is whinging at me for a bone. Is there any treats that will last longer. She doesn't like kongs or any of that type of toy.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Does she have any problem with her teeth? If she used to get bones in the past I wouldn't think that she'd suddenly start choking at them, she knows well what to do with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

What size dog is it?
    You could ask the butcher for some of the softer bones, mine gives me lamb ribs this time of year, they are triangle shape pieces with about 4or5 rib bits on, but only suitable for medium to small dogs. I also give chicken legs and thighs sometimes, just remove the skin as it's hard for them to chew on, may not be great for a large dog though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Once the bone is raw it should be fine.
    Our Dog died recently age 15 and he loved Pedigree Dentastix, and jumbones less often. not the most nutritious but he really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oscar15

We are getting a puppy soon and I don't want to give rawhide chews so I've been looking for alternatives.

I've been reading about sweet potato chews and am planning on trying these. You can make them yourself - they are just slices of sweet potato dried in the oven, I found loads of recipes on Google.

might be worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Hi at the moment my younger dog is getting a bone while the 14 year old isn't because I'm afraid she will choke on it. Anyway she is getting chewy treats that last 2 minutes and then is whinging at me for a bone. Is there any treats that will last longer. She doesn't like kongs or any of that type of toy.

Thanks

Although they are quite fatty (Im not sure what size dog you have) I find the pedigree maxi bones will last maybe 30 mins - 1 hour if that would help? They are softer but still very tempting for the pooches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Oscar15 wrote: »
    We are getting a puppy soon and I don't want to give rawhide chews so I've been looking for alternatives.

I've been reading about sweet potato chews and am planning on trying these. You can make them yourself - they are just slices of sweet potato dried in the oven, I found loads of recipes on Google.

might be worth a try?

I made these a few times, but it takes forever to cook them really chewy. Best do them when you're slow cooking something else anyway, My two love them!

Advertisement