Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which M4?

Options
  • 31-05-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm considering getting an M4 for my SAS loadout... anyone any recommendations?

From some initial research, it seems ICS and KWA would be good ones to go for. It would be nice to get something that shoots relatively accurately out of the box, with solid internals and very reliable.

Any thoughts?

It's been a while since I shopped for airsoft stuff... who would the most reliable/cheapest retailer be? I live in France btw.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

I've several M4's from G&G, VFC and Toyko Marui. All have been utterly reliable and all shoot perfectly "out of the box". The VFC is the most solid with zero rattles, the TM shoots the best ie most accurate while the G&G is pretty indestructible, has been stripped down, upgraded and still never misses beat.

The G&G was the cheapest with the VFC next and the TM the most expensive. While all have their merits, I actually use the G&G the most often while skirmishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks Domane, that's helpful.

Out of curiosity, how come you have 3 M4s? :-)

I like the sound of the VFC.

I've just been looking at VFC M4s on WGCShop.com and there are so many versions? Any advice regarding what I should be looking out for? Are there generations of models and any I should stay clear of?

Ok,

So I think my choice is between:
    ICS Tranform4 CXP UK1 Long

and

VFC M4 VR16 Tactical Elite II Carbine (BLACK)

ICS Tranform4 CXP UK1 Long
    Pros:
    - Split gear box, easy mods. I live in France and in most sites you can use up to 400FPS in semi-auto mode. Could switch out springs to change to 350FPS for full auto shooting.
    - €100 cheaper

Cons:
    - Will (possibly) need to be upgraded to tightbore barrel
    - Battery needs storing externally or in hand guard

VFC M4 VR16 Tactical Elite II Carbine (BLACK)
    Pros:
    - Great externals with nice features such as locking charging handle and engraved trades
    - Comes with 6.04mm barrel
    - Stock battery storage

Cons
    - €100 more expensive
    - Upgrades more complicated

So is the VFC worth the additional €100? I like the idea of the split gearbox but I also like the look of the VFC and also like that it comes with a 6.04mm barrel. Upgrading the ICS to a tightbore would cost around €50, so that leaves €50 in the differences, for solid externals.

@Domane: Having had a VFC, would you pay €100 more for it over the ICS (this is how the prices are working out for me with promotions and whatnot).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Owning both a KWA M4 and a VFC M635 (M4 variant) I love both, both have there pros and cons but both are incredibly reliable out of the box (in my experience). Externally the VFC wins it for me, internally KWA by a long shot with my ownly grievence being they do not use machined screw on the gearbox shell.

The KWA motor is decent, VFC a little underpowered basing this on my VFC and the bros VFC SCAR. The gearset in the KWA is just outstanding incredibly good gears for a stock gun, both use the shimless system not a fan of the VFC's system, gears are alright nothing special. Now with all that being said there is nothing wrong with them as such both are excellent performers out of the box, accuracy and range goes to the VFC hands down, the stock KWA rubber is meant for higher FPS 400+ easy.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dandy,

If you were to only have one, would you choose the VFC? Would you pay €100 more for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

di11on wrote: »
    Thanks Dandy,

If you were to only have one, would you choose the VFC? Would you pay €100 more for it?

I have no experience whats so ever with ICS, but VFC are are brilliant bits of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Sorry for the late reply mate. Yes I would highly recommend the VFC as its a fantastically solid and heavy gun, with no "plasticky" bits to cheapen the looks of it. It doesn't creak or rattle like my (very reliable and loved) G&G or even the more expensive TM. I did upgrade the hop up unit to a madbull hop up and I installed a tight bore 6.03 barrel. The fps is now consistent at 324+/- 2fps and it has great range and accuracy with my eotech 552 dialled in.

Due to the VFC's added weight however, I tend to use the G&G for skirmishing as it's easier to lug around for the day.

Advertisement