Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Prepay power?

Options
  • 31-05-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi guys, we recently changed houses. In our current one there's the prepay power one.

We didn't registered for them yet, means the account still probably belongs to the previous tenant (?) however I was wondering is there any chance to remove the prepay meter and get back to be billed normally - is this something that can be done, if yes how we should continue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi adonai,

You would certainly be able to switch provider and change to bill pay. Before you can go on bill pay, you need to make an application to switch providers. If the prepayment device is belongs to PrePayPower, you would need to contact them after requesting the switch to ask them to deactivate the device and also make arrangements to remove their device. Just to make you aware that if the prepay device belongs to us or Airtricity or Bord Gais Energy, we may be able to supply a 60 digit code to deactivate the meter within 24 hours, but if the device was supplied by Pinergy or PrePayPower you need to contact them directly.

In order to make the switch, we would need your MPRN number and an up to date meter reading along with your name, telephone number and date of birth. You can switch online here. Alternatively, you can call our Sales team on 1850 305 095.

If there is anything else we can help you with, do let us know.

Regards,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adonai

great, one last thing -how can I figure out if the meter belongs to which company? I guess I can call prepay power and ask if it's theirs but if not - any other way?

I will follow up on this.

any ideas whether prepay power can force any payments for removing the meter if we didn't sign up an agreement with them yet (account still belongs to previous tenant which already left the house)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi adonai,
    great, one last thing -how can I figure out if the meter belongs to which company? I guess I can call prepay power and ask if it's theirs but if not - any other way?

I will follow up on this.

Are you using a prepayment card at the moment? If so, the company name should be on the card. If you can access the actual meter, you can check if the serial number on the meter begins with RM281 or 280. This would indicate that this meter belongs to ESB Networks and we should be able to supply a code to revert the meter to bill pay. If you wish to supply us with the MPRN and address, we can check if the supply is with ourselves.
    any ideas whether prepay power can force any payments for removing the meter if we didn't sign up an agreement with them yet (account still belongs to previous tenant which already left the house)
    We could not advise on another company's procedures, so you would need to discuss this with them.

Regards,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adonai

yes its a prepay card and its prepay power. thats all it says on it. not sure if I have access to the meter though. 

thank you for clearing this out for me :)

I can only provide address as we are new tenants - thus no bills on us yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi adonai,

Thanks for checking the card. That would require telephoning the company named on it, as per Aoife's post above. It is one of the companies that would have to be contacted directly to have the PAYG meter deactivated.

Commencement of the switch would be required first though. You can switch to Electric Ireland via our switching page here or telephoning our Sales team on 1850 30 50 90 - thanks for your interest. Registering direct debit will eliminate the security deposit for new customers, which is €300 (refunded after six-seven cleared bills) and direct debit will also entitle you to discounts. Your landlord/lady or letting agent would be the people to ask for the MPRN (meter point reference number) as that is only found on bills/letters.

Once you commence the switch, then contact the company on the card for removal of the PAYG device.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
Advertisement