Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists should do a theory test!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I don't think it would have that big of an impact and don't think it should be implemented for that reason , given the significant cost involved, considering many cyclists would do one when learning to drive any way.

It would be a start ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Dr Crippen wrote: »
    No im not seeing any problem, other than i answered the question you had put to me. I have formed MY opinion based on the fact i cycle and drive each and every day, i have also sat a theory test, lessons and a driving test. I see how testing has benefitted me! Is this incorrect?
    Building public policy around the experiences of any one individual does not make for good policy. Perhaps if you attempted to explain the point of a theory test given the obvious lack of impact on large sections of the driving population, your proposal might get some traction.
    Also you may not have noticed but i also asked you a question which you have neither addressed or answered, so in your own time.........
    You asked a pile of questions which had all been answered earlier in the thread, which I patiently answered for you again. I don't recall your outstanding question, but I'd bet a fiver that it has already been answered. Have you bothered going through the earlier pages of the thread?
    MadDog76 wrote: »
    It also results in a going-round-in-circles discussion ........ "cyclists do x,y but never bother doing z" replied to with "but the motorists also do blah blah blah" which never really answers the question being put to cyclists about cycling specifically.

Anyway I'm just being curious as to what the replies would be if using motorists as an excuse/argument was banned .......... one can dream! :)
    The funny thing is, that you've got all those answers already, but you've chosen to ignore them. Remember the answers about the proven pointlessness of the theory test, the cost benefit, the lack of clarity around benefits arising?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Personal and 3rd party insurance for cyclists would be welcome. So far only UK companies offer such and it is quite pricey at about €80 pa. At the same time cyclist who scratches new car's side, if caught, faces few grand expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The ironic thing about all this is if a theory test for cyclists were actually introduced then it would absolutely include advice for cyclists to cycle assertively, away from car doors and the gutter, taking up a position on the road that maximises cyclist safety.

Then we would have to put up with threads in AH from motorists wondering why cyclists are taking up the whole lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Volthar wrote: »
    Personal and 3rd party insurance for cyclists would be welcome. So far only UK companies offer such and it is quite pricey at about €80 pa. At the same time cyclist who scratches new car's side, if caught, faces few grand expenses.

The only time I scratched a car door was when the driver Left Hooked me.
    The only time I've knocked a wing mirror off a car was as a result of being over-taken too close. Insurance for cyclists , lol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I think pedestrians should have to do a theory test. I was driving through Dublin, 6 people walked across the road in front of me on a red man at one junction alone.

Not one of these people had a high viz jacket or a helmet on, they could have been killed or dented my car if I hit them.

They don't even pay road tax and they cross several roads a day.
    Dogs should have to do theory tests too. One just walked out in front of me one day without looking where he/she was going. No high viz jacket either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Dr Crippen

RainyDay wrote: »
    Building public policy around the experiences of any one individual does not make for good policy. Perhaps if you attempted to explain the point of a theory test given the obvious lack of impact on large sections of the driving population, your proposal might get some traction.

So are you saying that the driving theory test is a waste of time?

You asked a pile of questions which had all been answered earlier in the thread, which I patiently answered for you again. I don't recall your outstanding question, but I'd bet a fiver that it has already been answered. Have you bothered going through the earlier pages of the thread?

The funny thing is, that you've got all those answers already, but you've chosen to ignore them. Remember the answers about the proven pointlessness of the theory test, the cost benefit, the lack of clarity around benefits arising?

Actually mate roll back a page to post 1067 when you are ready and you will see that i asked you

Do you drive? What is your opinion on the theory and driving test and its influence on driver behaviour?

I might have missed your reply? If so my error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I used to actually respect cyclists. Then I joined boards and noticed how whiney and complainey they are. I wouldnt expected talking to a group would result in such drastic loss of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

Not really, better places the money could be spent, road safety in schools ? driving as part of the secondary school curriculum? I can't see if having a big impact of road deaths or on injuries, if you say its a start what would be the next step ? better education for pedestrians ?

retests regularly ? or what about all the people that never did driving tests ?

• Advertisement

Not really, better places the money could be spent, road safety in schools ? driving as part of the secondary school curriculum? I can't see if having a big impact of road deaths or on injuries, if you say its a start what would be the next step ? better education for pedestrians ?

retests regularly ? or what about all the people that never did driving tests ?

That's just a diversionary answer ......... money can always be "better" spent. :rolleyes:

Hey, don't spend money on making our playgrounds safer, use the money for schools ....... No! Don't waste money on schools, use it for hospitals ........ and on and on it goes. :rolleyes:

Btw if you want to discuss the motorists that never did a Driving Test then start a thread on that topic and I'll happily discuss it with you there .......... if you want to discuss the Secondary School Curriculum then start a thread on that topic and I'll happily discuss that with you there ......... this thread is about cyclists doing the Theory Test. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That's just a diversionary answer ......... money can always be "better" spent. :rolleyes:

Hey, don't spend money on making our playgrounds safer, use the money schools ....... No! Don't waste money on schools, use it for hospitals ........ and on and on it goes. :rolleyes:

That's not diversionary, it's a clear plan which will achieve more for road safety than a theory test for cyclists ever will.

It's called joined up thinking.

I presume the poster meant diverting the funds you were going to appropriate for this theory test and achieve something that will be both effective and useful, rather than another pointless black hole quango.

CramCycle wrote: »
    That's not diversionary, it's a clear plan which will achieve more for road safety than a theory test for cyclists ever will.

It's called joined up thinking.

I presume the poster meant diverting the funds you were going to appropriate for this theory test and achieve something that will be both effective and useful, rather than another pointless black hole quango.

I disagree .......... I'm more than happy for some of my Tax money to go towards registering cyclists in some way. :)

Volthar wrote: »
    How often does this happen? I heard about a mother pushing a buggy who scratched a car - do they need insurance too? And kids on scooters?
    I used to actually respect cyclists. Then I joined boards and noticed how whiney and complainey they are. I wouldnt expected talking to a group would result in such drastic loss of respect.
    Ah, the old 'cyclists should be seen and not heard' approach. You do see a lot of this on the road, as some motorists have some kind of superiority complex around their entitlement to their road. Often, when bullied people stand up to bullies, they get told how whiney and complainey they are.
    A start to what - what specific benefit can arise?
    No, it can't. That's what public policy is all about. It's not easy, but good research and evidence-based policy making keeps you on the right road.

The alternative is your bar-stool based policy-making approach. It tends to end badly, like our eVoting disaster.
    I disagree .......... I'm more than happy for some of my Tax money to go towards registering cyclists in some way. :)
    Bully for you, though that's not a great reason for other people to see their tax money going towards an initiative that has no particular benefits or goals and is doomed to failure from the start.

How often does this happen? I heard about a mother pushing a buggy who scratched a car - do they need insurance too? And kids on scooters?

Ah, the old 'cyclists should be seen and not heard' approach. You do see a lot of this on the road, as some motorists have some kind of superiority complex around their entitlement to their road. Often, when bullied people stand up to bullies, they get told how whiney and complainey they are.

A start to what - what specific benefit can arise?

No, it can't. That's what public policy is all about. It's not easy, but good research and evidence-based policy making keeps you on the right road.

The alternative is your bar-stool based policy-making approach. It tends to end badly, like our eVoting disaster.

Bully for you, though that's not a great reason for other people to see their tax money going towards an initiative that has no particular benefits or goals and is doomed to failure from the start.

I disagree.

Bullied people?

Oh by the way rainy day have you answered my question yet?

• Advertisement

Bullied people?

It's a good question, I too would be interested in Rainy's answer ........ Rainy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

Hey, don't spend money on making our playgrounds safer, use the money for schools ....... No! Don't waste money on schools, use it for hospitals ........ and on and on it goes. :rolleyes:

Btw if you want to discuss the motorists that never did a Driving Test then start a thread on that topic and I'll happily discuss it with you there .......... if you want to discuss the Secondary School Curriculum then start a thread on that topic and I'll happily discuss that with you there ......... this thread is about cyclists doing the Theory Test. :)

How is this a diversionary tactic ? you are asking should we spend money registering/ testing cyclists ? Im saying no we shouldn't because cyclists don't cause as many accidents as motorists, I think the money would be better spent on other things. I see where you are coming from though but I just don't think that it would have any difference on road deaths or injuries, so I don't see how it would be of major benefit, you seem to keep pulling people away from discussing motorists, when asking about cyclists , people will always compare them to motorists, because they always be at each others throats !! In the first post the question was posed from the point of view of a motorist , with cyclists causing a problem to them, well the facts are clear! should cyclists be forced to take a theory test to prevent them from slowing down motorists ? if yes then surely motorists should be made jump to more hoops in order to curtail road deaths!

and should people have to do two theory tests ? will my driver one be enough ? what age should they be imposed at ? eye tests involved ? for kids cycling to school ?

I disagree.
    Indeed, I gathered that a few posts back. And you're quite entitled to your opinion. Hopefully, you'll get the point that the facts don't support your opinion, but perhaps not.
    It's a good question, I too would be interested in Rainy's answer ........ Rainy?
    Oh dear, I'm not sure that you're really getting the importance of evidence over personal experience. But regardless, yes, I drive. And I walk. Occasionally I levitate, but it's hard work. The answer to the other part of your question is on the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Knasher wrote: »
    Drivers have to do a theory test, and there are already punishments for bad driving. I see bad drivers every day though.

Maybe motorists should have to pay some sort of tax as well!! That'll put manners on them! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Maybe motorists should have to pay some sort of tax as well!! That'll put manners on them! ;)

Maybe the doors open for a "road tax", given the amount of people that believe they pay it? The government should consider it in top of the existing motor tax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Quite a lot has been made of the 200+ total fatality figure and how 12 cyclist fatalities somehow does not warrant the same attention. The comparison is a bogus one as it ignores the standard metric for road fatalities which is measured over distance, usually 'billion kilometres or miles'.

Here are some figures taken from UK Dept of Transport. They are average figures from 2003 to 2012.
    Fatality rates by mode per billion
    passenger kilometres: 2003 - 2012
    average

93 motorcycles - 31 pedestrians - 27 pedal cycles - 2 cars - 1 van
    0 - bus/coach - 0 rail - 0 air

Looking at these figures then we see that odds of fatalities are 30 times more for motorcyclists, and, 10 times more for cyclists than cars. Looking at other sources give approximately the same ratios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The comparison is a bogus one as it ignores the standard metric for road fatalities which is measured over distance, usually 'billion kilometres or miles'.
    As metrics go, that one is inherently biased against cyclists. You are comparing a group of people who travel mostly in urban environments, against a group of people who travel very long distances on roads that have much fewer hazards. It would be shocking if that metric didn't find in favour of the latter group.

A fairer metric would be to limit yourself to an urban environment. I don't know what the result would be, but at least you'd be closer to comparing like with like.

Luckily it goes into a pot so you don't know where it goes.
    people will always compare them to motorists, because they always be at each others throats !!
    I disagree, while I see vitriol on the roads the levels on Internet forums are in no way representative of the real world. 99% of drivers are engaging and nice to me. 99% of cyclists are safe and considerate. We often forget the good and only remember the bad. Try counting the number of people you see tomorrow on the roads, rough numbers, don't get distracted though. Remember the truly bad ones, put one over the other, you might be surprised how much safer our roads are than people think. As well as how much nicer they are, I have commuted in many countries, Ireland is one of 5 he better ones (although the standard of driving has room for improvement IMO).
    it ignores the standard metric for road fatalities which is measured over distance, usually 'billion kilometres or miles'. .
    A comparative measurement which has widely been debunked as inaccurate or unfair for what should be obvious reasons. Time travelled would make more sense but I am sure there are metrics a plenty to suit whatever your point was.

As metrics go, that one is inherently biased against cyclists. You are comparing a group of people who travel mostly in urban environments, against a group of people who travel very long distances on roads that have much fewer hazards. It would be shocking if that metric didn't find in favour of the latter group.

A fairer metric would be to limit yourself to an urban environment. I don't know what the result would be, but at least you'd be closer to comparing like with like.

Yet there is no problem when some posters on this thread compare motorists to cyclists nationwide ....... if it favours the cyclist of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

I disagree, while I see vitriol on the roads the levels on Internet forums are in no way representative of the real world. 99% of drivers are engaging and nice to me. 99% of cyclists are safe and considerate.

Yep, you'd read this site and think there was a war on and then you go out on your bike or hop in the car and well....

Its all fairly sedate and boring. Which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Motor tax, there's no motor on a push bike hence no tax ;)

They should have a licence though.
    Anyone on the road should have a permit
    to show that they know the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've nearly been mowed down by cyclists running red lights as I'm about to cross the road. It's absolutely crazy yet they get away with it all the time!

Nothing against cyclists really but if you're sharing the road with cars then abide by the same rules.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That_Guy wrote: »

Nothing against cyclists really but if you're sharing the road with cars then abide by the same rules.
    Most of the rules applicable to motorists also apply to cyclists (one of the interesting exceptions is speed limits which only apply to motorised vehicles ;))

The biggest problem has been enforcement (which also remains an issue with motorists), although the introduction of FPNs will hopefully go a little way towards redressing the balance on that front.

Indeed, I gathered that a few posts back. And you're quite entitled to your opinion. Hopefully, you'll get the point that the facts don't support your opinion, but perhaps not.

Oh dear, I'm not sure that you're really getting the importance of evidence over personal experience. But regardless, yes, I drive. And I walk. Occasionally I levitate, but it's hard work. The answer to the other part of your question is on the thread.

Levitate, excellent! I like to call my experience empirical research, combining both a qualitative and quantitative forms of data.

Speaking of which how do I collect my fiver ?

A comparative measurement which has widely been debunked as inaccurate or unfair for what should be obvious reasons. Time travelled would make more sense but I am sure there are metrics a plenty to suit whatever your point was.

Time travelled doesn't come into it as bikes are faster in the city traffic - swings and roundabouts.

There is a bit of a trend here though - Dept. of Transport UK biased, high viz not effective, helmets don't prevent injury, 200+ fatalaties caused by motorists, :-

The 'everybody out of step except my Johnny' syndrome appears to be alive and well with a minority coterie of cyclists :)

• Advertisement

Now to my next couple of questions.

Are you a good driver, follow all the rules of the road?

JonEBGud wrote: »
    They should have a licence though.
    Anyone on the road should have a permit
    to show that they know the rules.
    How's that licence/permit working out to show that drivers 'know' the rules?
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I've nearly been mowed down by cyclists running red lights as I'm about to cross the road. It's absolutely crazy yet they get away with it all the time!

And yet, road traffic statistics show 200 people each year killed by motorists and zero people killed by cyclists.

Am I a good driver - Yes.
    Do I follow all the rules of the road all of the time? - No, absolutely not - like every other motorist I see, I break the speed limit all the time. The last time I stuck to the speed limit was one of my first two driving test attempts which I failed. When I found a decent instructor who advised me not to obsess about the limit, I passed.

Most road users break the law most of the time. I don't have any huge difficulty with that. I have a huge difficulty with the hypocrisy of moaning about cyclists break red lights from people who routinely break the speed limit while driving.
    Quite a lot has been made of the 200+ total fatality figure and how 12 cyclist fatalities somehow does not warrant the same attention. The comparison is a bogus one as it ignores the standard metric for road fatalities which is measured over distance, usually 'billion kilometres or miles'.
    What 'standard' are you referring to here that uses this particular metric?

This cycling forum doesn't agree with you, and the stats back up those I quoted from the Dept of Transport, UK.

http://cyclinguphill.com/safe-cycling-stats-cycle-casualties/

Relative risk of different forms of transport – Cycling vs Car vs Pedestrian vs Motorbike

These statistics show casualties per billion km travelled. They produce a slightly skewed figure in that car drivers will clock up many miles on motorways, which tend to have much lower accident rates per miles travelled, compared to rural and urban areas. Nevertheless, it still shows how much safer car journeys are compared to cycling or walking. Which is to be expected. In a car you are protected by crumple zones and a block of steel. Walking and cycling, you are not.

Time travelled doesn't come into it as bikes are faster in the city traffic - swings and roundabouts.
    I imagine over the day it averages out quite a bit, cars being far faster at non rush hour times. Knashers metric of Urban travel comparison would also be more consistent and fair. There are loads of unfair comparisons I have seen used over the years, the urban one or time spent seem to be the fairest (IMO). I don't know the numbers for the urban one but I imagine it paints a better picture of motoring than the time spent one.
    There is a bit of a trend here though - Dept. of Transport UK biased
    Widely accepted that they are, not their fault, road engineers are told to get traffic moving and no one will leave their cars, they can only plan in many places based on instruction rather than vision, so they plan for the problem instead of trying to plan to fix it. Alot of our road traffic engineers seem to follow the UK model as our closest neighbour. In some places this is changing and improving but not everywhere.
    high viz not effective,
    Not effective at what people think its effective for. It's not for night time use, they are more properly referred to as day glo jackets in many places, and if a cyclist at night has the legally required lights, then they are in fact redundant. This said you have the RSA handing them out left, right and centre rather than getting gardai to fine those without lights and therefore reinforce the idea that Hi vis is a suitable replacement, it's not. The one time the RSA did hand out lights, they were so substandard that they were not visible from a few metres away.
    helmets don't prevent injury,
    In some cases they do, in some cases they don't, and in some cases they make it worse. No person of sound mind would make policy based on their gut feeling, hence why they are not mandatory, and this is ignoring all the other negatives. Look around you on your journey, the majority wear helmets anyway.
    200+ fatalaties caused by motorists, :-
    ???
    The 'everybody out of step except my Johnny' syndrome appears to be alive and well with a minority coterie of cyclists :)
    ???? Really, I have studied most of the above and made reasonable deductions based on available evidence, even if intuition sometimes tell me different. People making claims about what is needed and what should be done based on grossly exaggerated anecdotal evidence, is more idiotic than I can comprehend.

I am a safe driver, not a good one. I can rally quite well off road and round Mondello but on the road, I accept that there are limitations on both my abilities and the abilities of those around me and drive accordingly, I stop on amber if it is safe, no one has rear ended me yet, a few have beeped their horn and went mental, not sure why as the light would have been red for them. I drive in the driving lane on the motorway, only moving out to overtake. I do find that while I rarely use it, driving in Dublin has made me quick to wake drivers up with a little toot as they drift between lanes when I am beside them.
    This cycling forum doesn't agree with you, and the stats back up those I quoted from the Dept of Transport, UK.
    They don't back up, they are the same metric, which many people with any basic grasp of statistics and applications will tell you is fundamentally flawed. This said, if you look at the conclusion, the same idea rainyday has tooted on about is found. If you want safer roads, target motorists.

Do I follow all the rules of the road all of the time? - No, absolutely not - like every other motorist I see, I break the speed limit all the time. The last time I stuck to the speed limit was one of my first two driving test attempts which I failed. When I found a decent instructor who advised me not to obsess about the limit, I passed.

Unfortunately that's a bad instructor regardless of whether you passed.

Most road users break the law most of the time. I don't have any huge difficulty with that. I have a huge difficulty with the hypocrisy of moaning about cyclists break red lights from people who routinely break the speed limit while driving.

To be honest you seem to be hypocritical, you constantly throw out this statistic of 200+ people killed in motoring accidents, yet you openly admit to flaunting the recommended speed limits for our roads yourself, so in essence you are a dangerous motorist. Can you back up your claim that MOST road users break the law most of the time, where did you get this information. My next question is, do you feel that the theory test, the requirement for testing for automated vehicles is a waste of time? Do you feel it helped you in any way?

............................. They don't back up, they are the same metric, which many people with any basic grasp of statistics and applications will tell you is fundamentally flawed. This said, if you look at the conclusion, the same idea rainyday has tooted on about is found. If you want safer roads, target motorists.

How come the Dept of Transport and the CyclingUphill forum have got it so wrong ?

Of course - 'Everyone is out of step except my Johnny'. OP has a point, I'm a cyclist and I can see it - look at all the signatures - but hey, keep blaming the motorists - they're a handy scapegoat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Most days I drive the motorways in this country.

Nearly everyone I see is breaking one or other of our Road traffic laws from hogging the overtaking lane, poor signalling, unsafe or inappropriately marked loads, speeding, failing to make reasonable progress, using mobile phones etc etc.

Do I speed? Yes - but not excessively, and not on urban roads. There's a world of difference between say, exceeding the motorway speed limit on a dry summer's day by 10 km/hr and exceeding the speed limit outside a school on a dark, icy December morning at about 8-45 by 5 km/hr.

Lots of drivers have done theory tests (I got my licence pre the theory test requirement but I have an IAM licence) - it doesn't automatically make them better or more compliant drivers. Plus, there are plenty of situations where ethically a driver would be compelled to break a traffic law and would do so confident in the expectation they'd never be prosecuted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

About 50 cars I saw driving in various bus lanes this morning. Where do drivers get off thinking they can do what they like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

The fact remains that it is just a tad hypocritical to lecture cyclists about breaking red lights if you (like me and most drivers) break speed limits on just about every car journey.
    But cyclists do the reverse all the time. If you ever see someone on boards (or elsewhere) looking for GPS trackers in cars to catch people going a few km over the speed limit on a grade separated dual carriageway or outside an urban periphery, calling for speed limits to be reduced for no reason than "as a test" or other such insanity, there's a goodly chance the person has "bike" or "cycl" in their username or otherwise self-identifies as a cyclist.

That's what grinds my proverbial gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

SeanW wrote: »
    But cyclists do the reverse all the time. If you ever see someone on boards (or elsewhere) looking for GPS trackers in cars to catch people going a few km over the speed limit on a grade separated dual carriageway or outside an urban periphery, calling for speed limits to be reduced for no reason than "as a test" or other such insanity, there's a goodly chance the person has "bike" or "cycl" in their username or otherwise self-identifies as a cyclist.

Conspiracy forum =========>

(don't forget your tinfoil hat :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think discussing motorists should be banned on threads which are specifically about cyclists ......... Mods?
    hahahaa, what a pathetically cheap copout!

It's like the hypocrites in threads about illegal recerational drugs who go mental when people remind them that alcohol is a harmful recreational drug. Repeatedly saying "this discussion is about illegal drugs" when people have been discussing legal ones right from the start.

People ARE discussing other road users in this and most cycling threads, with very good reason, dunno if these people moaning are blind to the fact. Idiots in denial saying there is no discussion about motorists, it's an embarrassing tactic.

I said before it'd be like a thread "why do women have affairs, why is this? I really have no clue" and someone saying "eh men do too, nothing unsual" -"shut up you, this is about women".

I am a safe driver, not a good one. I can rally quite well off road and round Mondello but on the road, I accept that there are limitations on both my abilities and the abilities of those around me and drive accordingly, I stop on amber if it is safe, no one has rear ended me yet, a few have beeped their horn and went mental, not sure why as the light would have been red for them. I drive in the driving lane on the motorway, only moving out to overtake. I do find that while I rarely use it, driving in Dublin has made me quick to wake drivers up with a little toot as they drift between lanes when I am beside them.

Fair play for your honesty.

Would you feel that having done a theory test, lessons or a driving test contributed in your road safety knowledge? You drive safely and that's for obvious reasons but did preparing for driving equip you with road rules, or knowledge on various scenarios that could arise. Did it raise your awareness, for example to look in your left mirror when turning left etc.

I for one believe that having gone through all three of the RSA requirements I am a better motorist and cyclist for this. I would be of the opinion that these methods have influenced how I drive and cycle on main roads, urban roads and within the city, I believe that to say they do not have an effect on driver behavior is just not true.

How come the Dept of Transport and the CyclingUphill forum have got it so wrong ?
    Did you read the link you put up? Cycling uphill just took the statts from the Dept, not provided there own. The per billion km is only a useful metric if comparing similar transport in different areas eg comparing motorist safety in the UK vs Ireland, not for vastly different modes of transport. The only reasonable deduction made is the safety in numbers argument doesn't hold well although with increases in overall traffic, it's hard to say as they haven't provided enough data i.e. if cycling rates tripled but death rates only went up by 1% it would be indicative that there is safety in numbers.
    Of course - 'Everyone is out of step except my Johnny'. OP has a point, I'm a cyclist and I can see it - look at all the signatures - but hey, keep blaming the motorists - they're a handy scapegoat.
    Handy scapegoat for what? What signatures? I am not blaming motorists for anything, I have generally quite pleasant and safe rides in, one bad scare this year but the car didn't hit me, it was just a scare. As I said before, the stories on here don't add up with the stats, and most peoples real world experiences.

I blame people for the stupidity I see.

As a matter of interest, I decided to keep a rough count of stupidity and do a tally in my head this morning. Nothing, over 10km, no motorist, no cyclist done anything wrong, it was odd, they must have known I was watching. A few peds walked into traffic but nothing that put anyone in danger, they were all observant and waving thanks to motorists and cyclists who stopped.

SeanW wrote: »

Hypocracy of all kinds grinds my gears, regardless of the source. But I'm not really sure that I've seen examples of the kind of hypocracy you describe in these discussions on boards.ie. Would you like to point out a few examples of what you mean?
    The driving tester disagreed with you. And given your enthusiasm for anecdotal evidence, that means I must be right - right?

to be hypocritical, you constantly throw out this statistic of 200+ people killed in motoring accidents, yet you openly admit to flaunting the recommended speed limits for our roads yourself, so in essence you are a dangerous motorist.
    How did you work out that any motorist who breaks the speed limit is dangerous? And seriously, do you seriously stick to the urban speed limit all the time when you drive? Keep an eye on your speedo on the way home today, and see how frequently you go over 50 kpmh.
    Can you back up your claim that MOST road users break the law most of the time, where did you get this information. [/B]
    Look around you. Try driving at the speed limit and watch the queue of drivers speeding past you, breaking the speed limit. Watch the Phibsboro video that I've posted several times showing drivers breaking red lights all the time.
    My next question is, do you feel that the theory test, the requirement for testing for automated vehicles is a waste of time? Do you feel it helped you in any way?[/B]
    I feel that the test that I did many, many years ago has a negligible impact on my day to day driving. My experience, my ongoing learning, my discusssions about cycling and road safety all have far more impact on my day to day driving.
    I for one believe that having gone through all three of the RSA requirements I am a better motorist and cyclist for this. I would be of the opinion that these methods have influenced how I drive and cycle on main roads, urban roads and within the city, I believe that to say they do not have an effect on driver behavior is just not true.

I look forward to hearing your explanation about the value of the theory test to the line of motorists breaking red lights in the Phibsboro video.

Is there any chance that you'd try debating the issues, rather than these broadside attacks with no detail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

No it isn't. The instructor in question advised him not to obsess about speed limits, not to ignore them. Learners do tend to get too hung up about speed limits and, until feathering the throttle to keep the speed consistently where you want it becomes muscle-memory, they end up going too slow or focusing on the speedo to the detriment of such trifles as road-signage and other road-users. Yes, I'm an instructor, among other things.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    Lots of drivers have done theory tests (I got my licence pre the theory test requirement but I have an IAM licence) - it doesn't automatically make them better or more compliant drivers. Plus, there are plenty of situations where ethically a driver would be compelled to break a traffic law and would do so confident in the expectation they'd never be prosecuted.
    I too got my car license pre-theory test, but I have nevertheless passed more theory tests than most normal people. There's nothing in it that isn't in the Rules of the Road, and it at least forces people to have some knowledge of that worthy tome. But of course, people always familiarised themselves with the RotR before they were bate into it. Right?? Right! :D

The driving tester disagreed with you. And given your enthusiasm for anecdotal evidence, that means I must be right - right?

No he was a bad instructor if he told you that, that's a fact

How did you work out that any motorist who breaks the speed limit is dangerous? And seriously, do you seriously stick to the urban speed limit all the time when you drive? Keep an eye on your speedo on the way home today, and see how frequently you go over 50 kpmh.

If I have to explain that to you, then you are a lost cause. Any driver should be aware of the speed limit in all areas urban or city. Yes I adhere to the speed limit, as I don't want to injure my passengers or other motorists and importantly cyclists. I am surprised you condone this as you throw out the road death statistic very frequently, yet you flaunt the speed limit, that's hypocrisy by its very definition.

Look around you. Try driving at the speed limit and watch the queue of drivers speeding past you, breaking the speed limit. Watch the Phibsboro video that I've posted several times showing drivers breaking red lights all the time.

I dont care how fast other motorists are going, I adhere to the rules of the road, simple as that, lead by example!!

I feel that the test that I did many, many years ago has a negligible impact on my day to day driving. My experience, my ongoing learning, my discusssions about cycling and road safety all have far more impact on my day to day driving.

So would you prefer to scrap the theory test, driving test. By your admissions here you might need to retest which was recommended by a previous poster and one which I agree with too

I look forward to hearing your explanation about the value of the theory test to the line of motorists breaking red lights in the Phibsboro video.

Again are you recommending the scrapping of testing? I speak only for myself, not about everybody else as that would be inaccurate information.

Is there any chance that you'd try debating the issues, rather than these broadside attacks with no detail?

Rainyday, you are a bit all over the place with your replies I am asking these questions to give myself an understanding of your knowledge of the road. I have established that. There are no broadside attacks, or you could point them out to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Any driver should be aware of the speed limit in all areas urban or city. Yes I adhere to the speed limit, as I don't want to injure my passengers or other motorists and importantly cyclists. I am surprised you condone this as you throw out the road death statistic very frequently, yet you flaunt the speed limit, that's hypocrisy by its very definition...[/B]

Aware yes, like a fox crossing the water, Grasshopper. But what is appropriate for the Master is not necessarily appropriate for the Novice. ;)

jimgoose wrote: »
    No it isn't. The instructor in question advised him not to obsess about speed limits, not to ignore them. Learners do tend to get too hung up about speed limits and, until feathering the throttle to keep the speed consistently where you want it becomes muscle-memory, they end up going too slow or focusing on the speedo to the detriment of such trifles as road-signage and other road-users. Yes, I'm an instructor, among other things.

Point taken, I accept your point

Did you read the link you put up? Cycling uphill just took the statts from the Dept, not provided there own. The per billion km is only a useful metric if comparing similar transport in different areas eg comparing motorist safety in the UK vs Ireland, not for vastly different modes of transport. The only reasonable deduction made is the safety in numbers argument doesn't hold well although with increases in overall traffic, it's hard to say as they haven't provided enough data i.e. if cycling rates tripled but death rates only went up by 1% it would be indicative that there is safety in numbers.

How quick you are to dismiss the per billion kilometre stat. Using one's common sense and anecdotal evidence alone , most reasonable people would accept that motorcycling is potentially more dangerous than motoring. Those statistics back that up clearly. Similarly with cycling. Not that it necessarily follows that if you cycle for long enough you will be killed, but the stats show the odds are increased tenfold at least compared to cars. Parse and analyse it whatever way you like, but they are the cold hard facts. I know the stats are from the same source, but cyclinguphill portray those stats the same way, and acknowledge that car driving is safer.

Handy scapegoat for what? What signatures? I am not blaming motorists for anything, I have generally quite pleasant and safe rides in, one bad scare this year but the car didn't hit me, it was just a scare. As I said before, the stories on here don't add up with the stats, and most peoples real world experiences.

I blame people for the stupidity I see.

As a matter of interest, I decided to keep a rough count of stupidity and do a tally in my head this morning. Nothing, over 10km, no motorist, no cyclist done anything wrong, it was odd, they must have known I was watching. A few peds walked into traffic but nothing that put anyone in danger, they were all observant and waving thanks to motorists and cyclists who stopped.

Thanks - I meant, the volume shows the level of agreement with the OP. TBH I have to agree with 90% of his post, cyclists are clearly demonstrating an alarming level of incompetence on the roads. Cycling is the last free transport frontier, but I feel that a sizeable minority and their apologists are mucking it up for everybody else. Not that some four-wheeled drivers are heading for sainthood either, but it's obscuring the point of this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement