Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists should do a theory test!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A theory test will make ZERO difference to anybody.

Drivers have to do a theory test an a huge amount of them are still dangerous **** on the road.

This is just more whining about cyclists from motorists who would rather just see EVERY cyclist off the road, regardless.

Thing is though, 99% of ALL accidents on our roads, both fatal and otherwise are caused by motorists, not cyclists.

Some cyclists may piss you off, I know I can get mightily pissed off with some. But, some car drivers are an active danger to your life. I see motorists do the wildest shit every single morning and evening and everybody who isn't one absolutely needs their head on a swivel watching out for the dangerous fools. In fact, the only way to be safe on the road is to treat EVERY motorist as a fool.

Insurance, licences, theory tests.....it's never going to happen. Get used to it. It would run counter to the governments, every governments, aim of increasing cycling and discouraging driving. And the Dublin bike thing would have to go as well. Cycling proficiency should be mandatory in schools....and that's about as far as you can go.

All the laws are there already. They just need to be enforced, if the gardai can be bothered.

Cyclist numbers are only going to increase

You know the Gardai aren't bothered? It's because accidents that are caused by cyclists are relatively MINISCULE.

Some can annoy people, some are absolute ejits. But actual accidents, at least accidents of any kind of note are really few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Tony EH wrote: »
    A theory test will make ZERO difference to anybody.

Drivers have to do a theory test an a huge amount of them are still dangerous **** on the road.

This is just more whining about cyclists from motorists who would rather just see EVERY cyclist off the road, regardless....

Respectfully disagree, chief. I think a cyclist-centric theory test, done properly, would be an invaluable aid to helping cyclists keep themselves safe. And can you imagine the amount of dangerous **** there'd be without a theory test?? :D

The whining from this particular motorist is because I'd rather the pedalling-bicyclists, and indeed everyone, were able to go about their business without getting hurt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

SeanW wrote: »
    But cyclists do the reverse all the time. If you ever see someone on boards (or elsewhere) looking for GPS trackers in cars to catch people going a few km over the speed limit on a grade separated dual carriageway or outside an urban periphery, calling for speed limits to be reduced for no reason than "as a test" or other such insanity, there's a goodly chance the person has "bike" or "cycl" in their username or otherwise self-identifies as a cyclist.
    The only time I have ever mentioned about speed limits being changed is, first, in housing estates, I have kids, but I was told by others that if I am outside and my child gets hit by a car on a housing estate that it is my fault as a bad parent, not the fault of the few cars that go well over 60 in my small estate and second that councils should have more stable and clear cut discretionary powers, certain roads are not fit for their speed limits, and unfortunately some road users see the limit as a target rather than a limit.
    Dr Crippen wrote: »
    Would you feel that having done a theory test, lessons or a driving test contributed in your road safety knowledge?
    Nope, I never had to sit it but I did take one when my daughter was doing hers online, the theory test was and is a joke, I never studied, just put in the answers I believed they wanted and that was that. The only thing I can think it may have a use for is to ban anyone who gets below 75% from leaving their house without supervision as they are clearly a danger to themselves and others.
    You drive safely and that's for obvious reasons but did preparing for driving equip you with road rules, or knowledge on various scenarios that could arise. Did it raise your awareness, for example to look in your left mirror when turning left etc.
    Most of my driving etiquette I picked up from my Dad, he drove for years in the UK. Most of his learning came from experience and from other drivers telling him, that's not the way to do things. When he came back to Ireland he was shocked at some of the common safety principles that while not law, do not seem to exist here. My own view, I have stated before is that we are unusual in that unlike the US or the UK, we don't have a high percentage of law abiding road users. We have about 80% who get by day to day with following the rules and not really reacting to anything outside their bubble, which is not great but seems to be fine, then we have half of those left who have no concept of space, awareness, the rules, danger, harm caused, risk assessment etc. and then we have the other half who are potentially some of the best and most observant drivers ever seen, so skilled in fact that their reaction times and general common sense driving seems to hide the poor 10% driving skills.
    I think cyclists are broadly the same but that just an opinion and the numbers are probably not even close to the truth.
    I for one believe that having gone through all three of the RSA requirements I am a better motorist and cyclist for this. I would be of the opinion that these methods have influenced how I drive and cycle on main roads, urban roads and within the city, I believe that to say they do not have an effect on driver behavior is just not true.
    I cycled on the roads in London from about the age of 5, my parents used to tell me to cycle on the footpath but whenever I was out of sight, I was on the road, I indicated, stopped at junctions, based solely on my observations on what other road users do. I got used to proper road observation from driving around with my father while he was in a lorry, he used to talk me through why he drove in a certain fashion and what he was looking out for, he would point out issues that he could see and that he had to account for as he would not be able to see them in his own vehicle. I cycled in rural Ireland from the age of 9, i drove tractors on farms from 12yo and on the road from 16, I got my full license a week after my 18th, I got a license for every vehicle after that as soon as I could, its a great skill to have that will see you employed in many countries if I ever went abroad.

My only recommendations for testing and education are, as I have said many times, national school training (helps parents bad habits becoming ingrained), Junior cert education to stop embedding during teenage years, on top of this. After that, enforcement, enforcement, enforcement. The truth is, test all you want, but as we have all heard if you have done your driving test, people will say to you, as if its a moment of pride you tricked the examiner, "you will ever have to drive like that again". Some people will never learn, and these need social pressure and then fines. FPNs will do this for cyclists if enforced, ANPR cameras will do this for drivers if they are unmarked.

Fines lead to better behaviour, large scale better behaviour leads to societal pressure.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Respectfully disagree, chief. I think a cyclist-centric theory test, done properly, would be an invaluable aid to helping cyclists keep themselves safe. And can you imagine the amount of dangerous **** there'd be without a theory test?? :D

The whining from this particular motorist is because I'd rather the pedalling-bicyclists, and indeed everyone, were able to go about their business without getting hurt.

The vast majority of cyclists are safe riders, regardless of the perception of "epidemics", etc. The reason is simple. You HAVE TO BE. Because if you're not, you're the one that comes off a cropper nearly every time.

If you were to believe some car drivers, you'd think that every single cyclist on our roads are flying around without a single care in the world, mowing down pedestrians and smashing into cars willy-nilly.

It's laughable.

In addition, and I think someone else has already mentioned it, a large number (if not most) cyclists are motorists too, so they've already done a theory test and/or driving test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

No he was a bad instructor if he told you that, that's a fact
    Point taken, I accept your point
    Does this mean that you now accept my point (which is basically the same as his point)?
    If I have to explain that to you, then you are a lost cause. Any driver should be aware of the speed limit in all areas urban or city. Yes I adhere to the speed limit, as I don't want to injure my passengers or other motorists and importantly cyclists. I am surprised you condone this as you throw out the road death statistic very frequently, yet you flaunt the speed limit, that's hypocrisy by its very definition.
    Could you cut the drama and answer the question please. How did you work out that any motorist who breaks the speed limit is dangerous? So if I drive at 51kmph in a 50kmph area, I'm a dangerous driver then?
    I dont care how fast other motorists are going, I adhere to the rules of the road, simple as that, lead by example!!
    If you don't notice a queue of other cars overtaking you all the time, you're not adhering to the speed limit, or you are wearing blinkers.
    Rainyday, you are a bit all over the place with your replies I am asking these questions to give myself an understanding of your knowledge of the road. I have established that. There are no broadside attacks, or you could point them out to me?
    I think it was fairly clear from the quoting that my 'broadside' response was directed at the steamengine, not you.
    How quick you are to dismiss the per billion kilometre stat. Using one's common sense and anecdotal evidence alone , most reasonable people would accept that motorcycling is potentially more dangerous than motoring. Those statistics back that up clearly. Similarly with cycling. Not that it necessarily follows that if you cycle for long enough you will be killed, but the stats show the odds are increased tenfold at least compared to cars. Parse and analyse it whatever way you like, but they are the cold hard facts. I know the stats are from the same source, but cyclinguphill portray those stats the same way, and acknowledge that car driving is safer.
    You can acknowledge that using this particular metric, car driving is safer for the participant. That doesn't change the fact that motorists kill 200 people on our roads each year, while cyclists don't. So if you're interested in road safety, you know where to focus your priorities.

How quick you are to dismiss the per billion kilometre stat.
    Because its non sensical, cars travel at far higher speeds, have motorways which have low accident rates which skew the stats dramatically. Either make the setting common i.e. urban comparison only, or make it with a more useful metric eg time spent, or if you insist on the per billion km, adapt it to common sense, taking into account the ability to travel that far, divide it by average speed (giggle, math win).
    Using one's common sense and anecdotal evidence alone
    Well thats not a great start
    most reasonable people would accept that motorcycling is potentially more dangerous than motoring. Those statistics back that up clearly. Similarly with cycling.
    Using your "evidence" I have found driving to be more dangerous, thats why we don't use anecdoetal evidence for policy, it is flawed.
    Not that it necessarily follows that if you cycle for long enough you will be killed, but the stats show the odds are increased tenfold at least compared to cars. Parse and analyse it whatever way you like, but they are the cold hard facts.
    They aren't though, they are a representation of the facts in a biased manner. Unless you compare cyclists and motorists in similar surrondings, therefore removing as much bias as possible, your stat falls apart. Motorists can cover huge distances by motorway, relatively safely, therefore disproportionately skewing the figures.
    I know the stats are from the same source, but cyclinguphill portray those stats the same way, and acknowledge that car driving is safer.
    Did you read his conclusions? I don't like the page because I see flaws with the data from the outset and the way it is presented, but i do alot of stats work so maybe I am biased to pick out flaws with others work.
    His conclusion states that walking is four times more dangerous than cycling but gives no regard as to why. Then he refers to drivers being the biggest source of danger to other road users and cites mobile phone use and a need for better planning, but never mentions these once before this point, its like reading tabloid journalism. He may be right, he might not but such a poorly thought out piece of drivel doesn't carry much weight with me. I don't know why you picked cyclinguphills website as a source, when he clearly just downloaded stats for pretty graphs, and even though they were flawed, he came up with a non conclusion that referred to things he never mentioned before. He will be writing for the red tops soon enough, I have no doubt.
    Thanks - I meant, the volume shows the level of agreement with the OP. TBH I have to agree with 90% of his post, cyclists are clearly demonstrating an alarming level of incompetence on the roads. Cycling is the last free transport frontier, but I feel that a sizeable minority and their apologists are mucking it up for everybody else. Not that some four-wheeled drivers are heading for sainthood either, but it's obscuring the point of this thread.
    The point is though, despite this minority, they are not doing much damage. Early education will take care of the majority of the next generation, enforcement will help the current road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Dr Crippen

CramCycle wrote: »
    The only time I have ever mentioned about speed limits being changed is, first, in housing estates, I have kids, but I was told by others that if I am outside and my child gets hit by a car on a housing estate that it is my fault as a bad parent, not the fault of the few cars that go well over 60 in my small estate and second that councils should have more stable and clear cut discretionary powers, certain roads are not fit for their speed limits, and unfortunately some road users see the limit as a target rather than a limit.

More often than not local residents will object to speed bumps chicanes etc for housing estates, which occurred in mine for example but I agree with you on that point.

Nope, I never had to sit it but I did take one when my daughter was doing hers online, the theory test was and is a joke, I never studied, just put in the answers I believed they wanted and that was that. The only thing I can think it may have a use for is to ban anyone who gets below 75% from leaving their house without supervision as they are clearly a danger to themselves and others.

So are you saying the theory test for a first time driver is a waste of time? Your sarcasm at the end is very good I do like it but inappropriate for a discussion like this, I get your point but belittling a process which was introduced to promote road safety and to probably attempt to infomr drivers and reduce deaths is a little out of place

Most of my driving etiquette I picked up from my Dad, he drove for years in the UK. Most of his learning came from experience and from other drivers telling him, that's not the way to do things. When he came back to Ireland he was shocked at some of the common safety principles that while not law, do not seem to exist here. My own view, I have stated before is that we are unusual in that unlike the US or the UK, we don't have a high percentage of law abiding road users. We have about 80% who get by day to day with following the rules and not really reacting to anything outside their bubble, which is not great but seems to be fine, then we have half of those left who have no concept of space, awareness, the rules, danger, harm caused, risk assessment etc. and then we have the other half who are potentially some of the best and most observant drivers ever seen, so skilled in fact that their reaction times and general common sense driving seems to hide the poor 10% driving skills.
    I think cyclists are broadly the same but that just an opinion and the numbers are probably not even close to the truth.

I would have thought 80% road safety compliance was fairly good?

I cycled on the roads in London from about the age of 5, my parents used to tell me to cycle on the footpath but whenever I was out of sight, I was on the road, I indicated, stopped at junctions, based solely on my observations on what other road users do. I got used to proper road observation from driving around with my father while he was in a lorry, he used to talk me through why he drove in a certain fashion and what he was looking out for, he would point out issues that he could see and that he had to account for as he would not be able to see them in his own vehicle. I cycled in rural Ireland from the age of 9, i drove tractors on farms from 12yo and on the road from 16, I got my full license a week after my 18th, I got a license for every vehicle after that as soon as I could, its a great skill to have that will see you employed in many countries if I ever went abroad.

Good work, many strings to your bow in fairness

My only recommendations for testing and education are, as I have said many times, national school training (helps parents bad habits becoming ingrained), Junior cert education to stop embedding during teenage years, on top of this. After that, enforcement, enforcement, enforcement. The truth is, test all you want, but as we have all heard if you have done your driving test, people will say to you, as if its a moment of pride you tricked the examiner, "you will ever have to drive like that again". Some people will never learn, and these need social pressure and then fines. FPNs will do this for cyclists if enforced, ANPR cameras will do this for drivers if they are unmarked.

Fines lead to better behaviour, large scale better behaviour leads to societal pressure.

I agree with you on your last point but still hold firm on my belief that some form of theory test or as you mentioned introducing it into the school curriculum would benefit many cyclists and future motorists too!

The vast majority of cyclists are safe riders, regardless of the perception of "epidemics", etc. The reason is simple. You HAVE TO BE. Because if you're not, you're the one that comes off a cropper nearly every time.

If you were to believe some car drivers, you'd think that every single cyclist on our roads are flying around without a single care in the world, mowing down pedestrians and smashing into cars willy-nilly.

It's laughable.

In addition, and I think someone else has already mentioned it, a large number (if not most) cyclists are motorists too, so they've already done a theory test and/or driving test.

Like I said, a little cycling-specific material to help riders keep themselves safe while mixing it up with heavier stuff on the road would be nice. That's all. Obviously cyclists aren't mowing down pedestrians and writing off cars, but a lot of them are getting hurt, sadly and needlessly in my view. Be careful out there, live long and prosper. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If you were to believe some car drivers TDs, you'd think that every single cyclist on our roads are flying around without a single care in the world, mowing down pedestrians and smashing into cars willy-nilly.

It's laughable.

FYP :D

Is there any evidence to show that theory tests have improved driver or motorcyclist behaviour?

My own view is that vigorous enforcement has been more effective, and in that vein the introduction of FPNs for certain cycling offences, if enforced, will probably have a greater impact on cycling behaviour than any rote learned theory test will have.

• Advertisement

Like I said, a little cycling-specific material to help riders keep themselves safe while mixing it up with heavier stuff on the road would be nice. That's all. Obviously cyclists aren't mowing down pedestrians and writing off cars, but a lot of them are getting hurt, sadly and needlessly in my view. Be careful out there, live long and prosper. :D

Actually, they're not.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Actually, they're not.

Fine. Long may it continue! :D

Like I said, a little cycling-specific material to help riders keep themselves safe while mixing it up with heavier stuff on the road would be nice. That's all. Obviously cyclists aren't mowing down pedestrians and writing off cars, but a lot of them are getting hurt, sadly and needlessly in my view. Be careful out there, live long and prosper.

But I don't think "a lot" are getting hurt Goose. Accidents involving cyclists are in the extreme minority, especially relative to car accidents.

I've been cycling the streets of Dublin for far too many years and the number of accidents I've seen involving cyclists are tiny.

The only real issue is that some cyclists piss some car drivers off.

But actual accidents are quite few and far between.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Does this mean that you now accept my point (which is basically the same as his point)?

The poster being a driving instructor pointed out my error, you did not and yet I don't think its great practice to mention these things during lessons, again my personal opinion which thankfully I am entitled to.

Could you cut the drama and answer the question please. How did you work out that any motorist who breaks the speed limit is dangerous? So if I drive at 51kmph in a 50kmph area, I'm a dangerous driver then?

There's no drama here thankfully, that's a broadside attack, no?, Drama really is not in my nature. Anything over the dictated speed limit is firstly breaking the law and can warrant a fine and penalty points, am I wrong on that?
    Going over that national roads authority 'recommended' speed limit in my honest opinion is a danger, you think not and that's your opinion.

If you don't notice a queue of other cars overtaking you all the time, you're not adhering to the speed limit, or you are wearing blinkers.

That doesn't make sense if they are going over the speed limit, right?

I think it was fairly clear from the quoting that my 'broadside' response was directed at the steamengine, not you.

Great, I am glad we cleared that up

You can acknowledge that using this particular metric, car driving is safer for the participant. That doesn't change the fact that motorists kill 200 people on our roads each year, while cyclists don't. So if you're interested in road safety, you know where to focus your priorities.

Again I come back to the point, you breaking the speed limit while driving are contributing to the likelihood of someone being hurt, including yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

..........You can acknowledge that using this particular metric, car driving is safer for the participant. That doesn't change the fact that motorists kill 200 people on our roads each year, while cyclists don't. So if you're interested in road safety, you know where to focus your priorities.

That statement is somewhat incorrect. We know from the stats and as previously posted that there were no cars involved in the case of two cyclists' fatalities. We don't know who's actually at fault for the rest of the cycling fatalities. If you keep saying therefore that motorists kill 200 people each year, when clearly they don't in some cases, then please excuse me from engaging in such a fruitless debating exercise.

But I don't think "a lot" are getting hurt Goose. Accidents involving cyclists are in the extreme minority, especially relative to car accidents.

I've been cycling the streets of Dublin for far too many years and the number of accidents I've seen involving cyclists are tiny.

The only real issue is that some cyclists piss some car drivers off.

But actual accidents are quite few and far between.

Mmm. That's as may be, but it saddens me greatly whenever I hear of some poor sod mangled by a bus or an artic.

Mmm. That's as may be, but it saddens me greatly whenever I hear of some poor sod mangled by a bus or an artic.

It's sad to see anyone in a road accident. But theory tests won't bring down the already tiny accident levels involving cyclists.

In fact, so rare are accidents involving cyclists (and pedestrians for that matter) it results in me being really shocked when I do see one.

But accidents involving cars are relatively common place and they are usually car on car.

You were in 'Mad Max'...you should know this! :P

It's sad to see anyone in a road accident. But theory tests won't bring down the already tiny accident levels involving cyclists.

In fact, so rare are accidents involving cyclists (and pedestrians for that matter) it results in me being really shocked when I do see one.

But accidents involving cars are relatively common place and they are usually car on car.

Maybe so. Won't happen anyway, totally impractical unless you do the whole license thing for cyclists as well, which I am absolutely not in favour of. I consider a pedalling-bicyclist a mechanically-assisted pedestrian! :D

Again I come back to the point, you breaking the speed limit while driving are contributing to the likelihood of someone being hurt, including yourself

Driving contributes to the likelihood of someone being killed.

Breaking a speed limit, not necessarily so.

Inappropriate speed contributes significantly to the risk of collision and injury and it is quite possible to drive at a wildly inappropriate speed while remaining comfortably within the speed limit.........

• Advertisement

+1............and an essential piece of cycling theory for all cyclists. Never ever find yourself inside any stopped vehicle especially lorries/buses at traffic lights, either be ahead and visible to the driver or stay behind. Whether they've indicated or not they could be turning left - an easy mistake for any cyclist to make.

/\

But that pisses off motorists as well!

:pac:

Because its non sensical, cars travel at far higher speeds, have motorways which have low accident rates which skew the stats dramatically. Either make the setting common i.e. urban comparison only, or make it with a more useful metric eg time spent, or if you insist on the per billion km, adapt it to common sense, taking into account the ability to travel that far, divide it by average speed (giggle, math win).

Well thats not a great start

Using your "evidence" I have found driving to be more dangerous, thats why we don't use anecdoetal evidence for policy, it is flawed.

They aren't though, they are a representation of the facts in a biased manner. Unless you compare cyclists and motorists in similar surrondings, therefore removing as much bias as possible, your stat falls apart. Motorists can cover huge distances by motorway, relatively safely, therefore disproportionately skewing the figures.

Did you read his conclusions? I don't like the page because I see flaws with the data from the outset and the way it is presented, but i do alot of stats work so maybe I am biased to pick out flaws with others work.
    His conclusion states that walking is four times more dangerous than cycling but gives no regard as to why. Then he refers to drivers being the biggest source of danger to other road users and cites mobile phone use and a need for better planning, but never mentions these once before this point, its like reading tabloid journalism. He may be right, he might not but such a poorly thought out piece of drivel doesn't carry much weight with me. I don't know why you picked cyclinguphills website as a source, when he clearly just downloaded stats for pretty graphs, and even though they were flawed, he came up with a non conclusion that referred to things he never mentioned before. He will be writing for the red tops soon enough, I have no doubt.

The point is though, despite this minority, they are not doing much damage. Early education will take care of the majority of the next generation, enforcement will help the current road users.

Put up your alternative statistics then and let's take a look at them. Somehow I get the impression the Dept of Transport stats just don't suit the whiter than white image of cycling which you're trying to portray, but I could be wrong.

That statement is somewhat incorrect. We know from the stats and as previously posted that there were no cars involved in the case of two cyclists' fatalities. We don't know who's actually at fault for the rest of the cycling fatalities. If you keep saying therefore that motorists kill 200 people each year, when clearly they don't in some cases, then please excuse me from engaging in such a fruitless debating exercise.

I didn't see the comments you mention about two cyclists' fatalities. But this really is nitpicking. As I've pointed out before, even if you want to blame all 12 cyclists killed last year for their own demise, that leaves you with 180 or 190 deaths caused by motorists. It's the same issue. If you want me to say motorists kill about 180 or 190 people each year, will that make you happier, or more willing to do something about it?

Would you come back to the question that I asked you, the one that you've evaded twice please? If I'm driving 51kmph in a 50kpmh zone, does that make me a dangerous driver - Yes or No?

Yes, in my opinion, anything over the prescribed recommended speed limit is dangerous, against the law and irresponsible.

I answered this in post 1165 (Below)

Going over that national roads authority 'recommended' speed limit in my honest opinion is a danger, you think not and that's your opinion.

You should stay on point here, there were other points that you didn't answer which you could address, as I am trying to gauge your opinion on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I agree with you on your last point but still hold firm on my belief that some form of theory test or as you mentioned introducing it into the school curriculum would benefit many cyclists and future motorists too!

Introducing it into the school curriculum would be a great idea, because even if somebody doesn't end up a cyclist, understanding what dangers other road users face and being able to predict how they should react to those dangers is beneficial, regardless of your vehicle.

If the point is only education, then I think we could all agree to that. But I strongly suspect that the motivation for a theory test has very little to do with education, and a hell of a lot to do with registration.

• Advertisement

Yes Knasher I agree and the hope is it could reduce deaths and accidents, as mentioned most cyclists are motorists but the reverse is not always true so some form of education on it would be great giving people a greater insight to the dangers. Through this method some theory testing could be introduced.

I find it laughable that some people say its motorists who cause the majority of accidents, which based on the figures is true, yet in the same breath openly admit to not adhering to the speed limits on our roads by their own admission and in turn try to make the point that by me complying to the law, I am blinkered and again they are cyclists and point out driver error very often? Strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Al_Goonie

I cycle to and from work most days, and yes, I break red lights but that's just because it's faster for me. The drivers are the one's who get in trouble if I'm hit so why worry? If anything the one's in cars should watch out for me because I'm forced to use the same roads as 1.5 tonnes of moving metal

Put up your alternative statistics then and let's take a look at them. Somehow I get the impression the Dept of Transport stats just don't suit the whiter than white image of cycling which you're trying to portray, but I could be wrong.
    ??? Its not whiter than white, in fact if you read my posts, you would find I pointed out there are probably as many dangerous and idiotic cyclists % wise as there are idiotic and dangerous motorists, forgetting the fact that the cyclist will probably only fatally injure themselves if reckless enough, whereas a motorist has the possibility of far greater damage.

I don't have the stats, they may change nothing, it could look the exact same, it could look better or worse for cyclists, my point was the metric given is flawed and misleading to those who may not be used to seeing misleading data to highlight something that isn't really there.

I suspect the metrics I gave would lead to motorists and cyclists being equivalent in terms of risk but I would need the average distance travelled, the typical number of motorists on the roads, the typical number of cyclists and then the number of fatal accidents in the area proscribed. The CSO would give indicative numbers for the first 3 and the AGS would have the last.

Without reasonable comparisons and reasonable metrics, it is a biased and unfair description to say any mode of transport is more dangerous than another without more intelligent data. You could compare motorcyclists and car drivers, maybe, but I don't know if there is a bias of a large or small number of motorcylists to use other transport alternatives for long journeys.
    And there are several times where the national roads authority have prescribed speed limits that are unsafe if you were to travel at them. One of the key safety tenants of driving is to drive at the speed that is safe to do so for both you, other road users you can see and other potential road users you might not.

Blind bend, slow down, even if you know it because there could be a broken down vehicle. On a motorway, do not slow down to much as it is not expected and endangers road users trying to merge. Make sure you can stop in the space of road you can see in front of you that is clear.
    Knasher wrote: »
    Introducing it into the school curriculum would be a great idea, because even if somebody doesn't end up a cyclist, understanding what dangers other road users face and being able to predict how they should react to those dangers is beneficial, regardless of your vehicle.

+1 this is where policy should be driven

And there are several times where the national roads authority have prescribed speed limits that are unsafe if you were to travel at them. One of the key safety tenants of driving is to drive at the speed that is safe to do so for both you, other road users you can see and other potential road users you might not.

Agreed, but staying within the limit is the law, at the end of the day as Mr Keane would say.

Blind bend, slow down, even if you know it because there could be a broken down vehicle. On a motorway, do not slow down to much as it is not expected and endangers road users trying to merge. Make sure you can stop in the space of road you can see in front of you that is clear.

I agree with what you have written, the speed limit is set for all road users safety and at times it is discretionary to reduce speed but not to go over the limit, back roads set for 80KMH are a prime example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Yes Knasher I agree and the hope is it could reduce deaths and accidents, as mentioned most cyclists are motorists but the reverse is not always true so some form of education on it would be great giving people a greater insight to the dangers. Through this method some theory testing could be introduced.
    Why a theory test instead of something in secondary schools? I've outlined why I think doing it in secondary schools would be better, but clearly you lean towards the theory test. Which would have the obvious effect of dis-encouraging cycling in general. Given that, I'm sure there is a good reason why you favor it, I just can't see why.

• Advertisement

I find it laughable that some people say its motorists who cause the majority of accidents, which based on the figures is true, yet in the same breath openly admit to not adhering to the speed limits on our roads by their own admission and in turn try to make the point that by me complying to the law, I am blinkered and again they are cyclists and point out driver error very often? Strange times.

So theory tests have been useful in encouraging motorists and drivers to adhere to speed limits?

the 'they' you are referring do are often both cyclists and drivers, and, I'll wager' occasionally pedestrians too

Knasher wrote: »
    Why a theory test instead of something in secondary schools? I've outlined why I think doing it in secondary schools would be better, but clearly you lean towards the theory test. Which would have the obvious effect of dis-encouraging cycling in general. Given that, I'm sure there is a good reason why you favor it, I just can't see why.

I should have been clearer, a theory test in school

??? Its not whiter than white, in fact if you read my posts, you would find I pointed out there are probably as many dangerous and idiotic cyclists % wise as there are idiotic and dangerous motorists, forgetting the fact that the cyclist will probably only fatally injure themselves if reckless enough, whereas a motorist has the possibility of far greater damage.

I don't have the stats, they may change nothing, it could look the exact same, it could look better or worse for cyclists, my point was the metric given is flawed and misleading to those who may not be used to seeing misleading data to highlight something that isn't really there.

I suspect the metrics I gave would lead to motorists and cyclists being equivalent in terms of risk but I would need the average distance travelled, the typical number of motorists on the roads, the typical number of cyclists and then the number of fatal accidents in the area proscribed. The CSO would give indicative numbers for the first 3 and the AGS would have the last.

Without reasonable comparisons and reasonable metrics, it is a biased and unfair description to say any mode of transport is more dangerous than another without more intelligent data. You could compare motorcyclists and car drivers, maybe, but I don't know if there is a bias of a large or small number of motorcylists to use other transport alternatives for long journeys.

Ok, we're kinda getting somewhere now. Equal risk indicates equal fatality rates which in turn should warrant equal attention to corrective action for cyclists as well as motorists. The only saving grace for cyclists is there are not as many equivalent bike journeys as there are car journeys, otherwise with the same attrition rate the yearly total would be a hundred or so too.

It's not biased to compare modes safety wise and the distance stat is well recognised - Air travel is constantly being quoted as being the safest, motorcycling the least safe along with private flying as in light aircraft. 30mph is not an uncommon speed for very fit cyclists and on boards, they often recall with relish their long spins, 100km or so no problem. What's the difference between that and a Vespa scooter ? Very little I would say, except the Vespa rider wears a helmet, uses mirrors and a horn. I understand some of these racing bicycles don't even require or have a bell ! Tut Tut safety - plenty of room for improvement methinks.

So theory tests have been useful in encouraging motorists and drivers to adhere to speed limits?

Where did I say that? Did the test make them aware of speed limits?

the 'they' you are referring do are often both cyclists and drivers, and, I'll wager' occasionally pedestrians too

Right, not really getting your point there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't see how a Cyclist theory test would help. As a recently promoted driver (got my theory about five year ago) I'm absolutely shocked at the state of road users, and it's not isolated incidents, it's so frequent.

When I worked in city centre I'd see the best and worst of cyclists and motorists every day. Now as my commute is M50 out and back, it's all drivers I deal with.

I don't see how a theory test will improve things with cyclists, since it does **** all for drivers. A random selection of questions from a possible few hundred? My theory test was mostly road signs and questions about agricultural machinery, literally nothing about urban driving. I was answering questions on tractors, that I'll never drive in my entire life.

I took driving lessons from day one, for 12 weeks, and it was a sound investment. I don't have any bad habbits, sure I make mistakes, everyone make mistakes, but I don't so some of the horrendously bad **** I see people do.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded at the amount of accidents on the M50 on a weekly basis, and the amount of people totally oblivious about how to drive on a motorway, yet this is excluded from the theory and practical test, and learners are not permitted to use a motorway.

Calling for cyclists to get a theory test is somehow indicating the one for drivers is relevant and promotes good practice, which it certainly doesn't.

Right, not really getting your point there?

That theory tests are not much more than useless - especially in the current form where they are multiple-choice that can be just dealt with by rote learning. Passing one doesn't mean you are a better driver - it just means you could memorise more stuff.

Like the driving test itself - you are not testing someone's ability as a driver you are testing to see if they have the spatial awareness and motor skills necessary to operate a piece of machinery.

We still have the ludicrous position that my teenage son can pass his test, wear his N plate, not drive anything for two years then hop in into a tail-happy Porsche 930 and go for a spin (literally, I'd say, in his case).

As for theory tests in school? The curriculum is already crowded enough.

I'm all for more education of kids in how to use the roads safely and responsibly either as pedestrians or cyclists are part of their optional progression to becoming drivers, but the notion they should be tested is way OTT.

That theory tests are not much more than useless - especially in the current form where they are multiple-choice that can be just dealt with by rote learning. Passing one doesn't mean you are a better driver - it just means you could memorise more stuff.

Like the driving test itself - you are not testing someone's ability as a driver you are testing to see if they have the spatial awareness and motor skills necessary to operate a piece of machinery.

We still have the ludicrous position that my teenage son can pass his test, wear his N plate, not drive anything for two years then hop in into a tail-happy Porsche 930 and go for a spin (literally, I'd say, in his case).

As for theory tests in school? The curriculum is already crowded enough.

I'm all for more education of kids in how to use the roads safely and responsibly either as pedestrians or cyclists are part of their optional progression to becoming drivers, but the notion they should be tested is way OTT.

1. Did your son in the process of studying for this exam become aware of the rules of the road?

2. On your second point I would not entirely agree with that, you are tested on signaling, motion and various other driving skills and abilities.

3. Prior to the N plate he wouldn't have to wait two years!!!

4. I am a teacher and with short courses becoming available to schools its a big possibility. It could also tie in with subjects such as CSPE, SPHE, it could be a transition year module etc, so there is room for it.

It's not biased to compare modes safety wise and the distance stat is well recognised - Air travel is constantly being quoted as being the safest, motorcycling the least safe along with private flying as in light aircraft. 30mph is not an uncommon speed for very fit cyclists and on boards, they often recall with relish their long spins, 100km or so no problem. What's the difference between that and a Vespa scooter ? Very little I would say, except the Vespa rider wears a helmet, uses mirrors and a horn. I understand some of these racing bicycles don't even require or have a bell ! Tut Tut safety - plenty of room for improvement methinks.
    Genius solution - 200 people getting killed by motorists each year, and you want to put bells on racing bikes.
    I find it laughable that some people pretend that they never break a speed limit. I don't point out 'driver error' very often, as in pedantic errors. I point out dangerous driving. If you can't see the difference, you're not a very good driver.

1. Did your son in the process of studying for this exam become aware of the rules of the road?

2. On your second point I would not entirely agree with that, you are tested on signaling, motion and various other driving skills and abilities.

3. Prior to the N plate he wouldn't have to wait two years!!!

4. I am a teacher and with short courses becoming available to schools its a big possibility. It could also tie in with subjects such as CSPE, SPHE, it could be a transition year module etc, so there is room for it.

Awareness of the RotR is not the same as being perceptive when it comes to hazard identifiecation - a theory test may well encourage, even require, people to become aware of certain elements of the RotR (namely those bits covered in the test) but it will not, imo, make them measurably better drivers.

Consequently, there is nothing to suggest that a theory test for cyclists would make them any better cyclists. The introduction of such a test may make a few drivers feel a bit better but it won't do much beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

rubadub wrote: »
    hahahaa, what a pathetically cheap copout!

It's like the hypocrites in threads about illegal recerational drugs who go mental when people remind them that alcohol is a harmful recreational drug. Repeatedly saying "this discussion is about illegal drugs" when people have been discussing legal ones right from the start.

People ARE discussing other road users in this and most cycling threads, with very good reason, dunno if these people moaning are blind to the fact. Idiots in denial saying there is no discussion about motorists, it's an embarrassing tactic.

I said before it'd be like a thread "why do women have affairs, why is this? I really have no clue" and someone saying "eh men do too, nothing unsual" -"shut up you, this is about women".

Hahahahaha!!!!! :confused:

Recreational drug use is different to recreational alcohol drinking ....... although one can do both.

Motorists and cyclists are different .......... although one can be both.

Women and Men are completely different ........... anybody who says they are the same is a half-wit ......... unless it's Caitlyn Jenner!!

Hahahahahaha :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Genius solution - 200 people getting killed by motorists each year, and you want to put bells on racing bikes.

I find it laughable that some people pretend that they never break a speed limit. I don't point out 'driver error' very often, as in pedantic errors. I point out dangerous driving. If you can't see the difference, you're not a very good driver.

Unfortunately I am not pretending, when you have dependents in the car with you, I become more attentive and aware and adhere to the rules of the road.

But you, complain about drivers breaking lights, record it even! and then have the nerve to admit to driving over the speed limit and try to justify it?

I am a very good driver thank you and an excellent cyclist

Awareness of the RotR is not the same as being perceptive when it comes to hazard identifiecation - a theory test may well encourage, even require, people to become aware of certain elements of the RotR (namely those bits covered in the test) but it will not, imo, make them measurably better drivers.

True, but it goes a way, what would you recommend as an alternative?

Consequently, there is nothing to suggest that a theory test for cyclists would make them any better cyclists. The introduction of such a test may make a few drivers feel a bit better but it won't do much beyond that.

No but it could save some lives, is that worth anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What do you mean here?

The N plate has no restrictions on driving compared to a full license driver.
    There is no requirement for novice drivers to have an accompanying driver – this is still only the case for learner drivers. However, a novice driver may not act as an accompanying driver for someone who holds a learner permit

The insurance and associated costs would be enough to put most people of driving the likes of a Porsche in the scenario above, but those with the means I'm sure could do it if they wanted.

Not getting what is ludicrous about it. We have a system by you pass once and that's it you have a license for life. Maybe I could see the grounds for being re-tested every X years, but I had my license a year, completed a 12 week driving course and an advanced driving course, before I even owned a car to drive regularly.

No but it could save some lives, is that worth anything?

What evidence is there that it will save lives?

If anything it will cost lives, because it will dissuade people from cycling by introducing a barrier - cycling is a useful activity easily incorporated into lifestyles. It helps promote a degree of fitness, is largely unpolluting and is quite low in terms of environmental impact.

If someone is put off cycling because of a test - or other 'barrier' - or because something communicates an idea that cycling is less safe than it actually is, and that person drives more than they otherwise would - is that a positive move?

And even if the idea of test was a good idea was a good one, in principle - how would you enforce it? Would an hour of Garda time be better spent checking cyclists to see if they have their test done or carrying out speed checks?

Hello Polly ! :D

What evidence is there that it will save lives?

If anything it will cost lives, because it will dissuade people from cycling by introducing a barrier - cycling is a useful activity easily incorporated into lifestyles. It helps promote a degree of fitness, is largely unpolluting and is quite low in terms of environmental impact.

So again, by your statement can you answer me the following:

1. If you believe a theory test will not save lives and it will cost lives, why is there a driver theory test and do you feel this is useless.

2. Have you any evidence that a bicycle theory test will cost lives and could you explain to me how this would occur?

TheDoc wrote: »
    What do you mean here?

The N plate has no restrictions on driving compared to a full license driver.

The insurance and associated costs would be enough to put most people of driving the likes of a Porsche in the scenario above, but those with the means I'm sure could do it if they wanted.

Not getting what is ludicrous about it. We have a system by you pass once and that's it you have a license for life. Maybe I could see the grounds for being re-tested every X years, but I had my license a year, completed a 12 week driving course and an advanced driving course, before I even owned a car to drive regularly.

the point being that after 2 years someone who has actually driven for 2 years will be a better driver than someone who just kicked their heels for two years. If the N plate was supposed to help drivers mature, it's a crude response.

The point being the system tests a very specific set of competencies few of which relate to driving, many of which relate to operating a motor car.

The theory test sounds good, looks good - but in reality it's just window dressing. Marginally better than what went before

If we were really interested in turning out better drivers we'd making wider use of technology and progressive training and assessment.

the point being that after 2 years someone who has actually driven for 2 years will be a better driver than someone who just kicked their heels for two years. If the N plate was supposed to help drivers mature, it's a crude response.

The point being the system tests a very specific set of competencies few of which relate to driving, many of which relate to operating a motor car.

The theory test sounds good, looks good - but in reality it's just window dressing. Marginally better than what went before

If we were really interested in turning out better drivers we'd making wider use of technology and progressive training and assessment.

Go on, this could be applied to cyclists too,no?

/\

But that pisses off motorists as well!

:pac:

Better a pissed off motorist than a dead cyclist ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

omicron wrote: »
    A lot of drivers have no concept of the rules of the road and are getting more and more agressive. There acting like they have the right of way the whole time, weaving in and out of traffic, breaking red lights, not adhering and not looking for possible dangers ahead. Stricter and harsher penalties are needed for them. A piece of advice playing chicken with cars will not work well in the long run for ye. Should be made do some sort of simulation test or something. They are some decent cyclists but most are idiots.

A lot of pedestrians have no concept of the rules of the road and are getting more and more agressive. There acting like they have the right of way the whole time, weaving in and out of traffic, breaking red lights, not adhering and not looking for possible dangers ahead. Stricter and harsher penalties are needed for them. A piece of advice playing chicken with cars will not work well in the long run for ye. Should be made do some sort of simulation test or something. They are some decent cyclists but most are idiots.

Idiots are idiots regardless of their mode of transport.

I agree with this.

I used to be an idiot as a pedestrian. Used to jay walk and cross the road anywhere. Until I started driving. Its very stressful as a learner driver to stop and go, stop and go due to loads of pedestrians zig zagging in and out of traffic.

I must be the only person to wait for a green man at the lights now.

I don't cycle but I presume the rules of the road is the same as a driver except you're on a bicycle and you wouldn't be allowed on motorways and you would be mad to cycle Dublin.

Its all about observation. Observation for idiots. Observation for pedestrian idiots who zig zag out in front and behind you. Observation as a cyclist for parked cars and their doors flying open. And observation as a pedestrian in case you get mowed down.

Advertisement