Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm upgrade cost?

Options
  • 01-06-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I need to upgrade my alarm. Currently Scope. Not working. Rang one guy & he quoted me 960 euro for HKC. House already wired. New system can text me if there's a problem. He adds on a GMS box (or something). Meteor SIM card 5 euro every 6 months. Three bed semi-d. 2 doors. 6 windows. Contacts & shock downstairs. Shock only upstairs. One motion sensor. I rang another guy he quoted me 760 for the exact same system. Both are registered installers. What do you guys think? Price wise? It seems a big difference. Should I be asking different questions off them? Appreciate any enlightenment you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

You got a message - your house is broken in. How it helps you?

Have a good insurance and relax. Then buy a new replacement for stolen items.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

most systems alert you before they get in. so you get a text saying the back door shock sensor is going off. you then ring a key holder

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most systems now offer apps/IP for notifications and control of your alarm. There are lots of benefits to this over text. For remote control text is poor and you are waiting on confirmation texts for every command. Apps do it on the fly and you can see the status on the screen instantly.
    There is also less running costs.
    What I think is good is that if your alarm activates and is turned off quickly via an app any potential burglar is going to think someone is home.
    There is more information on apps available here
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057394782/11/#post95552140
    Without seeing the house or what's involved it's hard to comment more on the price.

Agreed re the app. But text or voice is a must for reliable confirmation. Push alone will not cut it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yet 99% of alarms are monitored by single path and operate perfectly.:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Yet 99% of alarms are monitored by single path and operate perfectly.:confused::confused::confused:

Push notifications alone are not 100% reliable .
    You'll get a text alert from your system even if you run out of credit. You won't get a push notification unless youre topped up with credit or connected to WiFi.

No notifications are 100%.Texts can be sitting in a message centre etc.
    I have done testing on various paths both here and when abroad. The IP push alert or emails are always quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

If the OP feels that he is likely to be broken into then the prudent thing is professional monitoring anything else is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bolt penguin

Many thanks for the help guys. Can any HKC system use an app? Or do I need to ask him for a particular model? Can I download from App Store? Also feeling regarding cost? Is 960 too much pre wired?

There would not be much in it on the installation price. You are going to spend the same again over the lifetime of the alarm if you want to use HKCs apps.

• Advertisement

Ok thank you

Yes it can . your installer will know which model. Its well worth the small money. You're getting texts/voice calls and data included. Your not relying on just IP notifications with HKC. You'll be alerted should the systems comms paths fail completely.

Probably best to look at the sticky here re the apps etc. There are plenty of systems offering various options re multiple paths.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057394782/11/#post95552140

instead of getting bogged down by individual preferences.

Yes, I see there's a lot to it. I will ask the installer. Thank you for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OK guys. Once again stop app comparing. Also stop comparing then referring to the sticky. I've explained that already. Report the post. Don't back seat mod. Move on.

If this happens on another thread I'll take action.

Regardless of what you think, you are incapable of talking about alarm apps without it ruining threads and jumping into old teratory.

All these points are raised in the sticky send the OP there if you want to help them. There is no benefit in dragging this up all the time.

Leave the point scoring 100% to the sticky please. No more mentioning the negatives and positives of either system.
    If something is not covered in the sticky, address it within the sticky if you want to raise it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

If you get the quotes in writing and they are listing the exact same equipment then go with the cheaper guy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi, I need to upgrade my alarm. Currently Scope. Not working. Rang one guy & he quoted me 960 euro for HKC. House already wired. New system can text me if there's a problem. He adds on a GMS box (or something). Meteor SIM card 5 euro every 6 months. Three bed semi-d. 2 doors. 6 windows. Contacts & shock downstairs. Shock only upstairs. One motion sensor. I rang another guy he quoted me 760 for the exact same system. Both are registered installers. What do you guys think? Price wise? It seems a big difference. Should I be asking different questions off them? Appreciate any enlightenment you can offer.

Seems a big price difference if the same equipment is being used.
    I would make sure both quotes are using the same equipment if going for the cheaper option. A cheap GSM can be used so if opting for this I would also check what it to be provided.

Did you get written system design proposals on both of these quotes?

I got a written quote for one of them, just how many doors, windows, motion sensor and a price. Just a verbal price off the second vendor. No mention of apps.

I got a written quote for one of them, just how many doors, windows, motion sensor and a price. Just a verbal price off the second vendor. No mention of apps.

With a written quote you will know what is included.
    Saves any surprises on the day of an install.

• Advertisement

Your quotation/system design proposal should also include exactly what detection devices are included & their function.Inertias only on upstairs is a strange one. If I was putting inertias up I would include contacts as well.

I would rather have an inertia on a window upstairs than a just a contact.
    Especially if a window is to be left open on a warm night.

Ideally both on separate zones.
    KoolKid wrote: »
    If I was putting inertias up I would include contacts as well.

In an ideal world yes.

Well I've definitely learned it's more complicated than I thought at first. I've got a lot of good tips here, thank you all.

Well I've definitely learned it's more complicated than I thought at first. I've got a lot of good tips here, thank you all.

Its good to get all the information first.
    If you have any more questions give us a shout.

Just one actually: why someone would not like to upgrade an alarm system with control in the hot press? Just wondering.

Just one actually: why someone would not like to upgrade an alarm system with control in the hot press? Just wondering.

If the original installation is done prior to May 2002 then the control panel can be installed there.
    I would recommend moving it out but that is up to the customer if they want the system moved.

For new installation your system would never be installed in this location.

I see, thank you.

• Advertisement

I see, thank you.

No problem, any other questions give us a shout.

Advertisement