Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm upgrade cost?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bolt penguin

Today got quotes for a pre wired house; check all wiring, HKC 10/70, 2 doors contact & shock, 2 windows contact & shock one opening, 4 windows contact & shock 2 openings, 1 shed wireless contact, 1 motion sensor on landing, GSM text alerts with inbuilt anti jammer technology on Meteor SIM @ 5 euro every 6/12. 2 year warranty. 960 euro. Is this reasonable?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A GSM text dialler with anti jamming?
    I'd be asking questions about that. I'd also be shopping around for a couple more quotes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Today got quotes for a pre wired house; check all wiring, HKC 10/70, 2 doors contact & shock, 2 windows contact & shock one opening, 4 windows contact & shock 2 openings, 1 shed wireless contact, 1 motion sensor on landing, GSM text alerts with inbuilt anti jammer technology on Meteor SIM @ 5 euro every 6/12. 2 year warranty. 960 euro. Is this reasonable?

See if you can get the bit in bold in writing.

So no such thing then? From what your saying. Anyway have 2 more guys calling today. Will see what they throw out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There's a few things in that quote sound like sales speel. Check all wiring???
    That's the first thing in an job?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

So no such thing then? From what your saying. Anyway have 2 more guys calling today. Will see what they throw out.
    hkc do have a feature on their gsm menu called 'jam detect' which you can toggle on or off. If system is armed and the gsm is being jammed it will active the alarm.
    here is the menu from the manual:

The Signal Monitor menu has three sections as follows:

Monitor Signal will flag a fault in the event of a GSM
    network failure.

You can delay the notification of a fault by going to the
    Fault Delay menu and keying-in a delay time in seconds.
    Useful in areas of poor network coverage that are prone to
    occasional brief dropouts.

The GSM unit can detect and flag attempts at jamming the
    GSM signal. In areas where the network is prone to high
    levels of radio noise this feature can be turned off by
    deselecting Jam Detect.

So how does it alert you?
    I would presume to jam the GSM would be because you are expecting the system to activate anyway.
    It also also would give potential burglars a great tool. Walk down the road with a jammer and see whose alarm activates. Now you know who is using GSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

KoolKid wrote: »
    So how does it alert you?
    I would presume to jam the GSM would be because you are expecting the system to activate anyway.
    It also also would give potential burglars a great tool. Walk down the road with a jammer and see whose alarm activates. Now you know who is using GSM.

You can use a voice digi along with the gsm and it would alert you over this should their be a jam. You can choose to have the bells ring or just the fault buzzer on the keypad.

Reading his quote it seems he was just speced for a GSM text dialler.

Well he can do the app also but he doesn't want me to go with it based on recurring cost.

• Advertisement

Change the panel make and there will be no recurring costs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

hkc do have a feature on their gsm menu called 'jam detect' which you can toggle on or off. If system is armed and the gsm is being jammed it will active the alarm.
    here is the menu from the manual:

The Signal Monitor menu has three sections as follows:

Monitor Signal will flag a fault in the event of a GSM
    network failure.

You can delay the notification of a fault by going to the
    Fault Delay menu and keying-in a delay time in seconds.
    Useful in areas of poor network coverage that are prone to
    occasional brief dropouts.

The GSM unit can detect and flag attempts at jamming the
    GSM signal. In areas where the network is prone to high
    levels of radio noise this feature can be turned off by
    deselecting Jam Detect.

"Anti-jamming" implies something that prevents jamming.
    What you have described is not a preventive measure.

Quite different in my opinion.

Well he can do the app also but he doesn't want me to go with it based on recurring cost.

There Wont be a recurring cost if you use a system with just push notifications over your WiFi. ( excluding HKC) but there will be recurring costs with every system if you want TEXT and voice alerts in case you were out of coverage.

For free
    Pyronix and Risco - Just push notifications over WiFi = Free. Add GPRS ( GSM unit ). Monthly fee needed to cover world sim to get text or voice alerts.

€4.99pm or €60 a year.
    HKC - Text and push voice notifications over WiFi. Add a GPRS (GSM unit ). No increase in monthly fee as its included.

Not necessarily recurring costs with every system excluding HKC.
    There are plenty of options available. See the sticky here
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057394782/11/#post95552140.

Not necessarily recurring costs with every system excluding HKC.
    There are plenty of options available. See the sticky here
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057394782/11/#post95552140.

Read that again. I said you can use a free app with every system bar HKC.

Yes.
    What I am saying is there is not necessarily running costs with other systems for text options etc.
    Not sure why you keep bringing this up. Its all in the sticky. I was responding in relation to what the OP was being quoted.
    Do you install only HKC systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

2011 wrote: »
    "Anti-jamming" implies something that prevents jamming.
    What you have described is not a preventive measure.

Quite different in my opinion.
    I don't think hkc are claiming to have anti jamming though, just jam detection right?

It has constantly been claimed here that regular top ups are required using prepay SIMs for credit. That is not the case.
    Usually to promote subscription charges.
    Here is my account page from three.
    351108.jpg

I don't think hkc are claiming to have anti jamming though, just jam detection right?

Agreed.

I was making the point that Bolt penguin will not get GSM text alerts from a HKC panel with "anti jammer technology" in response to this post:

Yes.
    What I am saying is there is not necessarily running costs with other systems for text options etc.
    Not sure why you keep bringing this up. Its all in the sticky. I was responding in relation to what the OP was being quoted.
    Do you install only HKC systems?

You won't get texts for free from any system. Push notifications yes. I think its very valid as it explains why HKC charge. You get the text over the WiFi card as well as push. Other brands provide free push over WiFi/LAN cards but not texts. That's a big difference between them.

• Advertisement

You can use prepay sim cards for text alerts where the sim does not expire after a few months. This works out well cheaper than the increasing charges we are seeing from HKC.
    Again, do you install a lot of HKC systems.
    You seem intent on promoting this one product.

Have you not seem me mention risco and Pyronix ????

I have. I'm just asking what you normally install as you seem obsessed with HKCs panel despite the issues you yourself have raised about their systems.

Its a very reliable panel and the app service covers all angles. As mentioned by almost all other installers on here. HKC ticks all the boxes.
    Siemens have issues. And you seem quite obsessed with their panel.

That's not to say there isn't room for improvement for HKC.

I'm not happy with the polling the new polling time.

So what panels do you normally install?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Well 3 must have changed terms and conditions regarding how long before credit expires. When i was using 3 (more than a year ago), they would delete my unused credit after 6 months . 3 wud take the credit 20 euro at a time. I think the idea is to ensure there is a charge against a purchased credit within 180 days and this resets the clock .

The company I'm with its mainly the reliable HKC :) anything else is a compromise.

So are you saying you are a licenced installer and you only install HKC?
    Why are we not seeing you in the trade forum?
    A bit of a silly statement saying anything but HKC is a compromise.
    Care to share with you us what licenced company you are installing for is making a statement like that.

So are you saying you are a licenced installer and you only install HKC?
    Why are we not seeing you in the trade forum?

Take it whatever way you like. I don't plan on joining the trade forum. I prefer dealing with people in person. You'll certainly never find out ;)

• Advertisement

Considering you asked me for access numerous times I'll take that as you are not a licenced installer.
    If you are again I'll ask you do you only install HKC systems.?

Advertisement