Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm upgrade cost?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Lots of licence installers solely use hkc, whats the big deal in that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Lots of licence installers solely use hkc, whats the big deal in that?

I would be wary of any installer who is only installing one system.

Get out of here, lots of contractors in different trades stick with one brand. I know an electrician who solely uses Hager should people be wary of him because he does not use Garo or other brand mcbs?
    Similarly a plumber who uses Grant boilers and don't use Firebird ones. What is you want to say KK?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I am only offering you advice based on my experience.
    There are plenty of options available to you . Shop around. There is no one system that suits every application if you have an installer the only Installs one system it means his experience is very limited. I would recommend you should shop around for someone with more experienced.

I am not a customer, are you saying that hkc cannot suits every application?

• Advertisement

There is no alarm that will suit every application.

I am not a customer, are you saying that hkc cannot suits every application?

There is no alarm that will suit every application.

But you know other alarms besides hkc that do?

There are many different systems that offer the options you are looking for.

I am looking for no system

• Advertisement

I am confused. You are looking for no system?

What led you to think I was looking for a system?

Were you not looking to upgrade your system?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

2011 wrote: »
    Agreed.

I was making the point that Bolt penguin will not get GSM text alerts from a HKC panel with "anti jammer technology" in response to this post:

Yeah 'anti jammer technology' is a bit of an exaggeration alright.
    I've installed a lot of gsm-q and have only come across a 'gsm jam' being reported once. In that case the gsm would work on and off and it would fire off text alerts every so often saying 'gsm jam detect' etc .
    Could never get to the bottom of what was causing it and it was annoying the guy so we turned off the jam detect feature in the end:rolleyes:.

It would be interesting to test it with a jammer on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OK guys there is a sticky for comparing apps. Can we keep that type of discussion there please.

Also, if you guys know each other outside of boards can you keep that to yourselves as much as possible. The references to one on one conversations etc is generally fine but it could go down a route where someone's identify on boards is revealed. If that happens they can report you and you could end up site banned.

I don't make the rules but generally it's good to keep boards to boards.

Thanks

OP read the sticky on the apps. It has all you need there. If you want to ask a question about an app ask it there. Koolkid directed you there via a link a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Just got the below quote for an alarm installed in a two story prewired house. Wondering what people's thoughts are :

1 HKC 10/70 Hybrid control panel and one keypad.

16 Wired hkc shock sensors on ground floor areas

1 Wireless contact on front door

2 Wired hkc sensor on back doors

6 Bosch motion sensors

1 External bellbox Hkc

2 Internal bellbox Hkc

1 7aH back up battery

The total price for this system, supplied, fitted and certified would be €1250

OPTIONAL EXTRAS

Fit sensors on 8 upstairs windows
    144 Euro

Extra wireless sensors can be fitted at a cost of 80 euro each

Dtv dialler which can text or call up to four numbers when activated 140 Euro

GSM unit which eradicates the need for a fixed phone line, and also allows for the remote arming and disarming of the system via SMS or voice 200 Euro Inc vat

Arm/Disarm Radio keyfobs with integrated panic button are also available @ 58 euro each inc. vat.

All equipment used is HKC brand.

http://www.hkcsecurity.com/ie/product/sw-1070-hybrid/#.VDbjF8s1jqA

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Looks expensive, shop around, get more quotes in writing to compare.
    Also you should get shock sensors with magnetic contact on ground floor not just shock sensors.
    Why do you need that many motion sensors if the perimeter is alarmed?

+1 To what's above. Ideal coverage would be shocks and contacts on all accessible points of entry with a couple of PIRs after that.
    If you are looking at apps and self monitoring it would be worth while looking at the sticky regarding costs and charges.

Advertisement