Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does surge protector light use up much electricity?

Options
  • 01-06-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Does the light on a surge protector use up much electricity if the e.g. 4-socket adapter was always left plugged in? Example in image below.

350669.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

no, it uses an absolute miniscule amount. If left on all year would hardly amount to 1c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Looks like a standard distribution board to me. Is there any indication of surge protection on the back?
    Anyway , as above, the load is insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Cerco wrote: »
    Looks like a standard distribution board to me. Is there any indication of surge protection on the back?
    Anyway , as above, the load is insignificant.

You're right. I wouldn't be depending on that to save any of my equipment. It's just a normal powerboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi Cerco & aido79.

I just used that image as an example. I use a proper surge protector with 4 sockets.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Don't expect your equipment to be saved if lighting strikes as it won't. Better to disconnect everything you care about if a serious storm is approaching. I believe these things are a bit of a con.

• Advertisement

They're just a few extra passive components to suppress transients and swells. They won't protect you from lightning, they're more to keep them spidery silicon lookin' bits of your electronics happy.

ac_power_supply_surge_protection_fig2.jpg

M1 - M6 are Metal Oxide Varistors
    L1 and L2 are inductdors
    and G are Gas discharge tubes.

That's a fancy one, the cheapo ones might just have a MOV or two.

Industrial ones have a fighting chance.

Advertisement