Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 fan noise

Options
  • 01-06-2015 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've had a PS4 since November last year, the fan is nearly always blasting and is wrecking my head. It's dependent on the game somewhat but is generally on full whack. The controller also seems to bug out every now again too.

I returned the console yesterday and got a replacement and it's the same thing with both controller and fan.

Does anybody else have these issues?
    Should I go back in and complain again?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I can certainly hear the fan on mine from across the room, but it's not excessively loud. I'd say it's as load or maybe even a tiny bit louder than my old PS3. Nowhere near as load as some of the 360's I had. Perhaps your just sensitive to fan noise? Have you had other consoles? How does it compare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I can hear mine as well, its a well known design (problem?) not sure what can be done about it, but its pretty normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I can certainly hear the fan on mine from across the room, but it's not excessively loud. I'd say it's as load or maybe even a tiny bit louder than my old PS3. Nowhere near as load as some of the 360's I had. Perhaps your just sensitive to fan noise? Have you had other consoles? How does it compare?

I've owned all the consoles over the years pretty much so I'm familiar enough with the fan noises etc.
    This seems louder than the PS3 at it's worst. I'm assuming Sony are playing it safe to try and avoid the overheating issues the PS3 suffered from but it's quite irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Do you have it standing up or lying down? Mine is much louder standing up due to some of the vents being blocked. Lying flat I generally don't hear it unless playing a graphically intense game.

superg wrote: »
    Do you have it standing up or lying down? Mine is much louder standing up due to some of the vents being blocked. Lying flat I generally don't hear it unless playing a graphically intense game.

I had it lying flat but it only had a couple of inches at the back so air flow wasn't great so I stood it up vertically. Little to no change either way.
    I'm only concerned because I've heard some people say it's silent and others moan like I am. Most games seem to put it into overdrive.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

KeithTS wrote: »
    I had it lying flat but it only had a couple of inches at the back so air flow wasn't great so I stood it up vertically. Little to no change either way.
    I'm only concerned because I've heard some people say it's silent and others moan like I am. Most games seem to put it into overdrive.

I think the people that say their ps4 is silent are deluded! I have noticed since the last firmware update that the fan goes crazy when you leave a game running in the background and go to the dashboard.

I think the people that say their ps4 is silent are deluded! I have noticed since the last firmware update that the fan goes crazy when you leave a game running in the background and go to the dashboard.

This is putting my mind at ease somewhat.....feel a bit bad for returning a console that was probably alright after all....ah well!
    Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Is it in a cabinet/closed tv unit?

If it is its always going to get noisy as the heat has nowhere to go. Mines on a glass TV stand with nothing blocking it in,while i wouldnt say its totally silent its fairly quiet.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is it in a cabinet/closed tv unit?

If it is its always going to get noisy as the heat has nowhere to go. Mines on a glass TV stand with nothing blocking it in,while i wouldnt say its totally silent its fairly quiet.

It was initially in a cabinet with a couple of inches around it and at the back for airflow but I soon moved it out of there with little success in reducing the noise.
    The guys in Game tell me it's not normal but I'm on my second now and it's exactly the same so what's a lad to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

KeithTS wrote: »
    It was initially in a cabinet with a couple of inches around it and at the back for airflow but I soon moved it out of there with little success in reducing the noise.
    The guys in Game tell me it's not normal but I'm on my second now and it's exactly the same so what's a lad to do!

Unusual,i definitely wouldnt say the PS4 is silent and certain games really ramp up the heat/noise,Ether One be a recent example,but i wouldnt say it was loud either in most cases.

As someone said earleir,your attuned to it now so probably notice it more. Ive been there,could hear a noise coming from PC and everyone else swore i was hearing things so decided to hunt it down. Turns out fan was nicking a cable that was quite tidy enough and making a feint noise. To me though sounded very loud as i was attuned to it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement