Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is tail docking illegal in Ireland yet?

• 01-06-2015 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I think done deal has a policy on docked dogs, in that it's not allowed?

I found this information regarding done deal via a search....there is no thread that clarifies this....any threads I've found here are from the middle ages.

Thanks.

Also, what's the story with this animal welfare bill? Is it not a no brainer? Or are there large costs involved with lack of resources to enforce? I'd just like to point out that my first questions is the most important I would like answered here.

I have found out this morning that a docked boxer (maybe 3 years old) won a medal at an amateur dog show....proceeds were for a local shelter...I'm shocked and want to bring it up as a serious issue.

Seeing as I expect knowledgeable people to reply here I'll assume I don't need to check the rules on adverts.ie myself regarding dogs....

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Tail docking is only illegal in Ireland since March (I think) 2014.
    So any dog with a tail docked before then was done lawfully unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Probably a stupid question but why is it illegal. I know nothing about dogs by the way other than we had a few pets over the years.

Regarding what the law says then I should still bring it up seeing as he got a medal....just because it was legal didn't mean it was right.

I thought it was only gun dogs that were docked and for a practical reason?

Probably a stupid question but why is it illegal. I know nothing about dogs by the way other than we had a few pets over the years.

A dog uses it's tail for balance.

• Advertisement

Because it's unnecessary and barbaric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Docking, except for hunting dogs, is illegal.

My dog (jrt) is docked, but was docked by her scumbag owners, who abandoned her in Ballymun in the snow.

Thankfully, she has no balance issues because of having her tail docked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Also it's another way to be able to read a dog's body language, without a tail you can miss a lot of signs of a dog's intent. Not only for human eyes, but even the eyes of other dogs, they read canine body language much in the same way we do.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

euser1984 wrote: »
    Regarding what the law says then I should still bring it up seeing as he got a medal....just because it was legal didn't mean it was right.

I completely agree with you as in its not right. I have never agreed with tail docking for any reason.
    I doubt you will get far with your argument though and especially as it was an amateur event to raise funds for a shelter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

VonVix wrote: »
    Also it's another way to be able to read a dog's body language, without a tail you can miss a lot of signs of a dog's intent. Not only for human eyes, but even the eyes of other dogs, they read canine body language much in the same way we do.

Lola wiggles her stump when she wants to play :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Lola wiggles her stump when she wants to play :pac:

I admit, I find a wiggly stump ridiculous cute, but I still like my doggies with a tail. Especially Rottweilers, if you've never seen a Rottweiler's full tail before it almost doesn't match what you would expect in your mind, at least it was that way for me. :o

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Any dog docked before March 2014 was sadly done legally so there's not much you can do about it. Now, any dog that is docked has to have a veterinary certificate to prove it was done by a vet and for a reason, as in working dogs. Otherwise the owner/breeder can be reported, the ISPCA have already confiscated a number of illegally docked pups afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes it is illegal since 6th March 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

euser1984 wrote: »

If the dog is 3 years old then it was done legally so you have no case or reason to bring it up. There were no laws broken.

Yeah its illegal now. But every now and again you see a few. I know a woman who rescued a dog with a cropped tail. She gets abuse every now and again from people passing in cars or somebody in the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Yeah its illegal now. But every now and again you see a few. I know a woman who rescued a dog with a cropped tail. She gets abuse every now and again from people passing in cars or somebody in the park.

Abuse about having a dog with a docked tail?
    I have a rescue dog with a docked tail, no one has ever said anything to me about it, mind you I do live in the arse end of nowhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

I've got several (legally) docked spaniels, never had a word mentioned. The only time it was an issue occurred when one dog qualified for the gamekeepers ring at crufts but couldn't be show as they have rules about docked dogs being shown at a how with paying public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It is really a strange society we live in.
    Docking of dogs tails is now (and rightly so) illegal but circumcising babies for non medical reasons is deemed acceptable.

Advertisement