Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Rental in USA ?

Options
  • 01-06-2015 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

My partner and I are going to Chicago in a months time on holiday. We then need to get to New York. Internal flights in the US are much more expensive than we realised so I am considering hiring a car and driving from Chicago to NY. We might also stop somewhere along the route (maybe Niagra) as it is a 14 hour journey,
    Has anybody any experience/tips on doing this lately. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its looks like Interstate 80 is a straight shot from Chicago to NY.

I would certainly plan on spending the night somewhere unless you're in a tearing hurry. Fourteen hours is a long time to spend in the car even if there's two drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jet007

Yes it looks straight foreward until it gets near NY then it gets a bit tricky.
    Have you driven in the US lately ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Jet007 wrote: »
    Yes it looks straight foreward until it gets near NY then it gets a bit tricky.
    Have you driven in the US lately ?

Yes. 20+ years. I live in Seattle.

East coast drivers can be a little more frantic than out west but generally americans are slow and easy drivers. Unconscious and badly trained and they dont follow the rules though, but its not like europe at all, they're much less aggressive.

If you're confidant enough to drive in Dublin you'd be fine in the USA, even with driving on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Jet007 wrote: »
    My partner and I are going to Chicago in a months time on holiday. We then need to get to New York. Internal flights in the US are much more expensive than we realised so I am considering hiring a car and driving from Chicago to NY. We might also stop somewhere along the route (maybe Niagra) as it is a 14 hour journey,
    Has anybody any experience/tips on doing this lately. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim

Are you returning the car to chicago? A lot of companies (most actually) have extra charges for one way rentals. The reason for it being that they can't rent a car with Illinois plates in NY so have to move the car back. By the time you factor in that cost (usually $250 but can be more depending on the company), a flight may actually be more reasonable.

As for the driving. The freeway's in the midwest are easy going. I drove into NY (newark to Long Island) a few weeks ago and while fast - a good GPS is worth it's weight in gold. Just stick to your lane (you can technically be cited for weaving) and stick to the speed limit. Usually, cops will overlook going 70 (+ 5 MPH)in the inside (fast) lane. You will see cars going faster, but don't be one of them. They know the roads and know where the cops usually hide. Going 100 could land you in a lot of trouble.

Also..bear in mind that the closer you get to the city, the more likely your turn off could be on either side of the freeway so pay attention to the side that the sign is on

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jet007

Thats great. Thanks for the advice guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

We're looking for some advice on driving in the States too. Looking to hire a car Tuesday-Tuesday. Want to pick up Knoxville and drop off at Memphis so all driving is in Tennessee.

Only two of us so size of car is not too important but we are staying in Pigeon Forge in the Smoky Mountains so would a Ford Focus tackle these roads ok? Thats a "Group B" car on Hertz. Other option is Nissan Altima, Group D both ~€250 on the website.

What other extras would we need and are there any other hidden charges with Hertz e.g. returning without a full tank cost etc.

And additional insurance, what the deal with this?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Altima or Focus will be fine. There are some fantastic 'driving' roads in that part of TN.

Sorry to hear you're staying in Pigeon Forge. I wouldn't waste too much time exploring the town itself. It's pretty tacky! Any chance you can change your reservation to Asheville?

Return the car with whatever level is noted on your rental agreement. It may be full, it may not.

For insurance related questions, search the forum; lot's of answers to be found.

Enjoy your holiday (vacation).

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Cheers Dave, we're staying in a cabin 20 mins away from Dollywood so not 100% if we are actually in Pigeon Forge. Only there for a few days so have most our itinerary mapped out. Plan on visiting Sevierville & Gatelinburg for a few hours as well as going to Tanger outlets. Have white water rafting booked and then Dollywood itself on the final day before driving to Nashville and then Memphis, Route 40 all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

You'll enjoy the cabin and the white water rafting alright.

I would caution you to spend less time in the more plasticky parts of the Smokies; Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. And again - don't miss Asheville, esp if you like great food, beer, music, outdoors, etc. Also nearby Blue Ridge Parkway, Biltmore, Chimney Rock,.... It almost sounds like I work for the Asheville Chamber of Commerce!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Pigeon forge is a dry town as well!! One horse town but I actually enjoyed Dollywood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement