Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High-end, Future proof set-up review

Options
  • 01-06-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Just making sure that the set-up will are work synergistically together. This will be used quite heavily so I will need it to be quite strong: I/Others will be Gaming on the computer so would like it to have a nice smooth picture with high enough FPS. Everytime i upgrade router/wireless card i never seem to be able to get adequate mb/ps. My router can handle it and im paying for 200 mb/ps however an all devices never exceeds 40. Wired is 200 alright so im going to get top quality wireless card on this computer and if still inadequate i will just upgrade router. Will be running some Intensive programs for stock trading purposes which i will need to run smoothly as need a constant feed of charts. Photoshop etc work will be minimal enough. Programming will be going on on the computer with possible 3D modelling etc. It will be based in my attic so over winter will be cold anyway but in the summer it gets very hot indeed. My 2 side monitors may be upgraded in the future so i would like to have a GPU already capable of handling it. Budget isnt much of a problem, the parts im picking are high end but no point in pissing money away. This will be a communal computer si costs will be shared. If any of my parts are just complete overkill let me know e.g Titan v 790Ti i believe are nearly same efficiency but one is much more expensive. However if it is needed it is needed.

case:Zalman H1
    CPU:Intel Core i7 5960X
    motherboard:Asus X99-E WS Workstation Motherboard (Intel X99, DDR4, S-ATA 600, CEB, 1 x M.2, Quad Strength Graphic Power, 12K Hours Capacitors, Socket 2011-v3)
    RAM:Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2666MHz CL15 XMP 2.0
    Power:Corsair CP-9020057-UK Professional AX1500i ATX/EPS 1500W
    Optical Drive: Asus DVD-RW Bulk Drive (DRW-24F1ST, S-ATA, DVDR: 24x, CD-R: 48x, E-Green, Disc Encryption II)
    SSD: Samsung 512GB 2.5 inch SATA III
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S
    Wireless Card::TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900 Dual Band Wireless PCI Express
    Monitors x 3:
    1)Asus PA328Q 32-Inch 4k IPS 3840 x 2160
    2)Hp 2011x 1600 X 900, 5 ms ,250 nits of Brightness, DVI + VGA
    3)HP 2011x again
    GPU: 2 x ??????? GTX Titan X Titan Black, GTX 790Ti
    Cooling: Cooler Master NEPTON 280L 28030mm RADIATOR 2x 140 Jetflo Fan Liquid CPU Cooler

questions:
    is it possible to put 24gb of ram into it if i got 3x8gb?
    What GPU would be best to get for those monitors?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

1500w is way too much

As in last thread, 780Ti, 980Ti or Titan Black in SLI or a 3 Way R9 290X are best calls for GPUs. Price/Performance I'd go with the 290X

You can use 24gb RAM with 3 sticks, but as its Quad Channel you might as well go the full 4x8gb sticks for the sake of €100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

By the looks of it you've gone to Overclockers and just picked the highest on all the things. You can of course do this, but the build is a bit all over the place at the moment.
    • Odds are you really, really don't need a 5960X. Throw a 5930K (or whatever it is) in there instead.
    • 1500W PSU is just silly. Unless you're planning on getting four Titan Xs you just don't need it. A good 750W model will cover you, with loads of headroom for a second card in the future, and lots of overclocking headroom too.
    • If you're wanting speed, go for Intel's 750 PCI-E SSD. If you want capacity, go for a BX100 from Crucial.
    • As for secondary storage, have a look at a WD Red. They're warranty is pretty nice.
    • Wireless? Really? Homeplugs, for god's sake.
    • Have you used a 4K monitor? Because they look nice, but lots of things don't scale well with them, and overall they can just be a little annoying. Maybe look into a 3840x1440 monitor instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Fill out the form to state your budget and the guys on here will spec a more practical build for you.

For gaming at 4k even there is no need to throw that much dosh into it. You cannot futureproof a PC so spending a couple of k's on it now isnt really worth it. Best to spend and upgrade gradually.

Id seccond the homeplugs and 980ti reccomendations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

+1 for homeplugs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Going by the initial look of the GTX 980 TI, you're better off getting one (or two) instead of the Titan X's. It performs practically the same as a Titan X even on 4K but it's about €300-400 less. The only main difference is the VRAM but 6GB is plenty and the extra money saved could go towards other bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

homeplugs are unfortunately too much work to get installed. Opposite sides of the house with 2 floors in between where the computer will be and the modem. So 4K basically isnt really that worth it is it?

Not at this stage, in a couple of years when the TV's are more affordable and you can spend less that €1500 on GPUs I'd say go for it, but right now you can get a full 1440p build for less that you're planning on spending on graphics cards, to out it into perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

RoRo979 wrote: »
    homeplugs are unfortunately too much work to get installed. Opposite sides of the house with 2 floors in between where the computer will be and the modem. So 4K basically isnt really that worth it is it?

Not really is the answer to the 4K question.

And homeplugs are just plug and play really, no installation required as long as they are on the same circuit (if not expect large drops in speed). One plug is hooked to router and the other to pc. Simples.

You can buy a pair off Amazon and return if not happy with results.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Not really is the answer to the 4K question.

And homeplugs are just plug and play really, no installation required as long as they are on the same circuit (if not expect large drops in speed). One plug is hooked to router and the other to pc. Simples.

You can buy a pair off Amazon and return if not happy with results.

Indeed i know how they work, put there is 2 floors in between where my computer is and my modem. Getting a connection up to my attic will be quite awkward not worth the effort Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I've used homeplugs with 2 floors between my pc and my router and have had no issues

• Advertisement

Indeed i know how they work, put there is 2 floors in between where my computer is and my modem. Getting a connection up to my attic will be quite awkward not worth the effort Imo.

Homeplugs. I don't think it means what you think it means.

There's no "work" getting it anywhere. The signal goes through your house's power lines. There's nothing to hook up, other than plugging in two little boxes right beside the things they're connecting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Maybe OP might be mentioning having different breakers per floor.

homeplugs arn't the perfect solution for everyone. My parents house is old style, in that there is a seperate breaker for the upstairs and downstairs(modern houses are all on one breaker)

Homeplugs simply don't work at all, or well enough, if across two breakers. Maybe what the OP is talking about?

I ended up running a cable in my parents house from the front room up to the attic and dropping it into my bedroom.

In my current house, I'm using homeplugs which are working fine but I get only about 50mbps from my 250mbps package. I'll be looking into running cable from the router into a switch outside the house over summer. But in practical terms, I am fine with homeplugs.

OP I wouldn't spend mad money on wireless cards. You will never match that of a cable, and the effort to getting cable up into the attic will far outweigh signal issues you will get. I don't get people who spend mad money on routers and stuff for wifi, it's a waste of money.

As I said at the moment I'm on homeplugs, but another PC is cabled downstairs, and all devices get great speeds, just using the UPC supplied router. Some mild tweaking can make massive improvements.

The issues you describe most likely wont be solved with just getting a better Wifi card. What ISP are you with? What router is it? How many devices are on the network? Are the devices split between N and G technology?

Seeing what you are building, and putting it onto Wifi actually made me pretty mad....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If you are running cables forget about homeplugs, just run a Cat 5e or a cat 6 from your router to the room with the pc in it, on the outside of the house if its easier. In my own house going through internal walls was too much hassle so I got outdoor Cat5e, drilled out of the sitting room where the router is, ran up the wall into the attic to a switch which feeds all the upstairs rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Just making sure that the set-up will are work synergistically together. This will be used quite heavily so I will need it to be quite strong: I/Others will be Gaming on the computer so would like it to have a nice smooth picture with high enough FPS. Everytime i upgrade router/wireless card i never seem to be able to get adequate mb/ps. My router can handle it and im paying for 200 mb/ps however an all devices never exceeds 40. Wired is 200 alright so im going to get top quality wireless card on this computer and if still inadequate i will just upgrade router. Will be running some Intensive programs for stock trading purposes which i will need to run smoothly as need a constant feed of charts. Photoshop etc work will be minimal enough. Programming will be going on on the computer with possible 3D modelling etc. It will be based in my attic so over winter will be cold anyway but in the summer it gets very hot indeed. My 2 side monitors may be upgraded in the future so i would like to have a GPU already capable of handling it. Budget isnt much of a problem, the parts im picking are high end but no point in pissing money away. This will be a communal computer si costs will be shared. If any of my parts are just complete overkill let me know e.g Titan v 790Ti i believe are nearly same efficiency but one is much more expensive. However if it is needed it is needed.

case:Zalman H1
    CPU:Intel Core i7 5960X
    motherboard:Asus X99-E WS Workstation Motherboard (Intel X99, DDR4, S-ATA 600, CEB, 1 x M.2, Quad Strength Graphic Power, 12K Hours Capacitors, Socket 2011-v3)
    RAM:Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2666MHz CL15 XMP 2.0
    Power:Corsair CP-9020057-UK Professional AX1500i ATX/EPS 1500W
    Optical Drive: Asus DVD-RW Bulk Drive (DRW-24F1ST, S-ATA, DVDR: 24x, CD-R: 48x, E-Green, Disc Encryption II)
    SSD: Samsung 512GB 2.5 inch SATA III
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S
    Wireless Card::TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900 Dual Band Wireless PCI Express
    Monitors x 3:
    1)Asus PA328Q 32-Inch 4k IPS 3840 x 2160
    2)Hp 2011x 1600 X 900, 5 ms ,250 nits of Brightness, DVI + VGA
    3)HP 2011x again
    GPU: 2 x ??????? GTX Titan X Titan Black, GTX 790Ti
    Cooling: Cooler Master NEPTON 280L 28030mm RADIATOR 2x 140 Jetflo Fan Liquid CPU Cooler

questions:
    is it possible to put 24gb of ram into it if i got 3x8gb?
    What GPU would be best to get for those monitors?
    thanks
    Can i ask the money you are investing in all that gadgetry?

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Can i ask the money you are investing in all that gadgetry?

About 4.5k off the top of my head but that seems too high

I wired a Cat5 from the modem into my sitting room and was some hassle drilling the hole and getting the cable snug against the wall and up and around the door. I understand it would be beneficial but the modem is right in the middle of my house and if you knew the layout if it, getting it up there would not be worth it. We have decided we will get what is best to get, all the parts i listed i may not necessarily but id rather start from the top and work my way down to lower prices than start low and work up. I just want to see the best possible build out right now, so i can benchmark against, see what parts would be possible to get etc.

Ok, I'm just going to say this once for clarity, because every time someone mentions homeplugs you start talking running cable:

Homeplugs do not require a cable.

You can get a very good pair for €30 or something in PC World (of all places). Seriously, they're nothing. If they don't work for you I'm sure someone else in your house would benefit.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/test-of-cpu-for-gaming-30-cpus-compared.200132/

Compare the i7 4960X to the i3 4150

At worst, across a large span of games, on the same gpu, there's at worst a 15% drop in frame rates. The CPU you're choosing might increase that by 2 or 3% further.

There's almost €1000 in the difference between the cost.

You're better setting a realistic budget and building the best PC you can for it, rather that saying how much money do I need for the best PC.

And as Sere says with the home plugs, you plug them into a wall socket, one beside router, and one beside PC. Ethernet cable goes from Router to Home plug 1, and from Home plug 2 to PC. They might as well be wireless for how they communicate

Advertisement