Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cisco certification

Options
  • 01-06-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi,

Im wondering can any one help me out as im a bit confused.

Is it possible to study at home and take the cisco exams in a local college or i.t.

Or do you need to attend the courses ran in your local institute, cit charge over 2 grand for the courses.

Any info on the set up is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it possible to study at home and take the cisco exams in a local college or i.t.

Or do you need to attend the courses ran in your local institute, cit charge over 2 grand for the courses.

I'm going to be doing this as part of my college course over the summer for free but as I understand it local companies do send employees to do the course as well.
    The bulk of the course is studying at home approx 6 hours a week and then a one hour exam once per week.

However even though you do the study in your own time I think what you are paying for is access to the materials and taking the exam so you would still have to pay unless your employer agrees to pay it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Hi,

What i mean is , are you obliged to enroll in a cisco course to be able to sit the exams, or can any one sit the exams regardless if they have participated in a course.

The idea being to sit the exam to get the certification without actually during the course work.

Im not doing this through work, my employer will not be paying, its purely off my own back.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

What i mean is , are you obliged to enroll in a cisco course to be able to sit the exams, or can any one sit the exams regardless if they have participated in a course.

The idea being to sit the exam to get the certification without actually during the course work.

Im not doing this through work, my employer will not be paying, its purely off my own back.

Thanks

I don't think so. I believe you have to be enrolled to be granted access to the exams as they aren't available 24/7 just for a specific window of time when an exam is scheduled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Which exam are you talking about. I did CCNA by just studying at home. All I paid was the exam fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You book the exam through PearsonVue, to take at a approved test center at the requested time. You are not required to attend a course. The final certification(CCIE) requires a lab test in specific locations but the CCNA and CCNP certifications don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

You book the exam through PearsonVue, to take at a approved test center at the requested time. You are not required to attend a course. The final certification(CCIE) requires a lab test in specific locations but the CCNA and CCNP certifications don't.

Im only beginning so it would be the ccnet or ccna.

Im just trying to see can i add a little knowledge to my basics and get some certification with out dedicating more time to course work as im already doing 2 nights a week on an automation course.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

can any one sit the exams regardless if they have participated in a course

Yes. In fact, I think it would be crazy to spend money on a formal course for anything lower than CCNP if you're not absolutely guaranteed a job afterward. You can study on your own (books, CBT Nuggets, etc) and book the exam yourself online.
    Ant695 wrote: »
    I don't think so. I believe you have to be enrolled to be granted access to the exams as they aren't available 24/7 just for a specific window of time when an exam is scheduled.

Wrong.

Advertisement