Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Repeatedly Breaking Down - Am I Entitled To A Refund/Replacement?

Options
  • 01-06-2015 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

SITUATION

In April 2013, I purchased a 2006 second hand car from a reputable motor dealer. At the time of purchase, the car had 30,000 miles on the clock and at the time of writing, the car has just over 100,000 miles on the clock.

In the time that I have owned the car, I have had absolute zero problems with it in terms of mechanical issues; however the car has broken down on five occasions, all of which were a result of an electrical fault with the car.

On Tuesday of last week, my car broke down for the fourth time and was repaired by the garage the car was originally purchased from. Upon collecting the car from the garage on Friday evening - after it had been 'repaired' - I explicitly asked the mechanic whether or not the car was fit to complete a 500KM journey that I had to undertake in the coming days, to which the mechanic responded 'Yes'.

On Sunday - whilst half way through my journey - my car broke down once more (due to another electrical fault). This represents the fifth time the car has broken down due to such an issue under my ownership.

MY OPINION

Obviously I am extremely annoyed about the frequency with which my car has broken down.

Given the fact that each breakdown has been caused by an electrical fault, myself and a number of other people are of the opinion that the car was faulty whenever I purchased the car originally (a fairly logical assumption given the frequency of breakdowns in my opinion).

As regards my consumer rights, I am aware that the garage must offer a Replacement, a Refund, or a Repair if the car is faulty. In all cases up to now, the garage has repaired the car; however, given the number of times the car has broken down, and given the fact the garage stated the car was fit for the journey in question, I feel I have the right to consider the garage's repair work to be inadequate.

I am now at the point where I no longer consider the car to be reliable and I am seriously considering replacing the car.

QUESTION

Given my lack of faith in my garages ability to carry out repairs adequately, am I entitled to a refund or a replacement?

Obviously the value of my car would be reduced due to depreciation associated with the car's age and usage.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭emo72

I think if you are still getting it repaired under warranty you are doing well. Maybe you might be entitled to a replacement, but I don't think you have a snowballs chance in hell. Breakdowns are horrible. I feel your pain there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

You purchased a 2006 car in 2013 and have since put 70000 miles on it to a total 100000 and the dealer is still giving you warranty?!?! Who is this dealer? What a fantastic service!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I can't see that your entitled to a refund or replacement after over two years and 70k miles

What tyype of car is it?

Stheno wrote: »
    I can't see that your entitled to a refund or replacement after over two years and 70k miles

What tyype of car is it?

Guessing Renault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A pointless guess.

• Advertisement

A pointless guess.

I know! But they are famed for electrical issues.

I wonder if it is the same issue the op has?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

emo72 wrote: »
    I know! But they are famed for electrical issues.

I wonder if it is the same issue the op has?

Op says it has been different faults

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 slickboy

My car is an Opel Astra.

I can understand were some of you are coming from regarding the car's age and mileage, etc, but please kind in mind that the car has an electrical fault and not a mechanical fault. An electrical fault usually occurs because their is an error in how the electronics of the car have been wired - it is not something that occurs every so often because of wear and tear.

slickboy wrote: »
    My car is an Opel Astra.

I can understand were some of you are coming from regarding the car's age and mileage, etc, but please kind in mind that the car has an electrical fault and not a mechanical fault. An electrical fault usually occurs because their is an error in how the electronics of the car have been wired - it is not something that occurs every so often because of wear and tear.

I'd disagree with that to be honest, sensors can fail over time, as can fuses. Is it the same fault each time or different ones?

Have you had the car regularly serviced?

I'd say your best bet here is to get the garage to run a full diagnostic on the car with a scanner and see what faults there are and fix them

You can't really expect more than that's it's unreasonable imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Please post the garage you bought it from because I would definitely give them a shout when buying my next car. To still provide repairs under warranty for an old second hand car with 70k miles/100k kms after 2 years is outstanding service and is to be commended. Sensors go over time, some due to electrical faults, most due to wear and tear.

• Advertisement

Its the same fault all the time.

The exact same fuse is blowing every time the car breaks down. In order to fix the problem, a new fuse has to be put in and the car has to be connected to a diagnostic machine in order for the car to be re-started again. Just putting a new fuse in doesn't fix it - it has to be connected to the diagnostic machine.

As regards servicing, the car has always been serviced on it recommended mileage, and the service has always been carried out by the garage that the car was purchased from.

davo10 wrote: »
    Please post the garage you bought it from because I would definitely give them a shout when buying my next car. To still provide repairs under warranty for an old second hand car with 70k miles/100k kms after 2 years is outstanding service and is to be commended. Sensors go over time, some due to electrical faults, most due to wear and tear.

I should have made myself clearer - my car was under warranty for one year initially. Because of the the frequency of breakdowns and because I was a loyal customer, the garage opted to extend my warranty as a gesture of goodwill.

Its the same fault all the time.

The exact same fuse is blowing every time the car breaks down. In order to fix the problem, a new fuse has to be put in and the car has to be connected to a diagnostic machine in order for the car to be re-started again. Just putting a new fuse in doesn't fix it - it has to be connected to the diagnostic machine.

As regards servicing, the car has always been serviced on it recommended mileage, and the service has always been carried out by the garage that the car was purchased from.

It has to be connected to diagnostics to clear the fault. are the garage an opel dealer? And what's the exact fault?

Edit just read your post above ref warranty I think you've done pretty well with that garage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

If it keeps blowing the same fuse its more a fault with the garage fixing the car than the car itself in fairness.

Bring it to someone who knows what they are doing.

If it keeps blowing the same fuse its more a fault with the garage fixing the car than the car itself in fairness.

Bring it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Was thinking that which was why I asked if the dealer was an opel dealer

Op if you know what the fuse is ask about it in the motors forum someone there should know if it's a common issue

Stheno wrote: »
    It has to be connected to diagnostics to clear the fault. are the garage an opel dealer? And what's the exact fault?

Edit just read your post above ref warranty I think you've done pretty well with that garage

Yes - the garage is an official Opel Dealer.

The starter motor fuse has blown five times in the car - I'm not sure of what exact error code is being registered for diagnostic purposes.

Yes - the garage is an official Opel Dealer.

The starter motor fuse has blown five times in the car - I'm not sure of what exact error code is being registered for diagnostic purposes.

Well then push them for more info, is it possible the motor itself is needing replacing? That's the route I'd take, go in and talk to the manager about the issue and see what they can do to permanently

Or get a second opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Has the car stop start?

It sounds like the main power lead from the battery to the starter is touching the body of the car somewhere and blowing the fuse

sean1141 wrote: »
    Has the car stop start?

It sounds like the main power lead from the battery to the starter is touching the body of the car somewhere and blowing the fuse

Hi sean1141 - the car doesn't have a Start/Stop button - it's a 2006 Operl Astra.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding the power lead - I'll definitely mention that to the mechanic.

Advertisement