Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

briany wrote: »
    Is that being said with an envious tone? Both weather conditions would be oppressive in their own ways.

Really? Personally I would MUCH prefer the 37c for the same short period the UK are getting it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just shy of 24c here now (23.9c) and prolonged sunshine for the past hour or so. Plenty of surface heating going on which bodes well for later if other factors come in to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Sun is finally out in north meath, feels equally as warm and muggy as yesterday evening,

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Danno wrote: »
    Planes go fast! :p:D :pac:

I would seriously question the UHI effect on those temperatures as most of the surrounding countryside stations were 31c and 32c at the time of that recording. Any station inside the M25 (UK) is subject to the UHI in my opinion, ditto with the ones inside the M50 (IE) aswell.

The record UK temp wasn't subject to the London UHI, and stations in small towns away from London have reported 34c today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Could believe that if it is sunny in Aughrim; hit 24.7C here in partly overcast conditions. Dead calm - now 24.2C and humidity 65%.

New high of 26.2c here
    Currently 25c near Arklow

Sun's out all afternoon but acca's and cb's visible in a circle to south west and north

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sun out now and temp has shot up to 24C, very nice outside again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still alive here in London though think I'm about 5 stone lighter. Only time I've ever felt heat like this was in the south of Spain in mid July about 5 years ago, absolutely sweltering. I'm drenched in sweat just sitting in the house and the drive home from work was a nightmare, showing 41C on the thermometer at one stage!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Spare a thought for us here in Kerry :( Dipped to 13.5C and risen to 14.1C now, completely overcast all day , muggy and raining ( heavy the last hour 8.0mm recorded in the gauge so far). Only consolation is that there is that tremendous summer smell of the rain on trees and plants and feeling a lot fresher then the last few days :)

Wind light and variable from the NW

Bar 1008.4mb Steady

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭briany

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Really? Personally I would MUCH prefer the 37c for the same short period the UK are getting it for.

The thing about (Irish) rain is that it's livable with clothing or shelter, which just about everyone (hopefully) has, but 37 - 41 degrees can be quite uncomfortable indeed, no matter what you do, as the Harps reports, whether you're in the house or outside. That's heat where your underwear will be riding up on you, even if you aren't wearing any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Really? 19.5km does NOT equal 2km+2km. :cool:

But did you factor in the speed of the crow if their was a tail wind? ;)

• Advertisement

Planes go fast! :p:D :pac:

I would seriously question the UHI effect on those temperatures as most of the surrounding countryside stations were 31c and 32c at the time of that recording. Any station inside the M25 (UK) is subject to the UHI in my opinion, ditto with the ones inside the M50 (IE) aswell.

Only Phoenix Park is inside the M50.....

Pouring from the heavens here in West Clare.

briany wrote: »
    The thing about (Irish) rain is that it's livable with clothing or shelter, which just about everyone (hopefully) has, but 37 - 41 degrees can be quite uncomfortable indeed, no matter what you do, as the Harps reports, whether you're in the house or outside. That's heat where your underwear will be riding up on you, even if you aren't wearing any.

Can believe that for sure; after very dry days humidity has soared to 90% here and current temp 20C.

Feels borderline unpleasant - whereas 25C yesterday with a breeze and strong sunshine felt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Spare a thought for us here in Kerry :( Dipped to 13.5C and risen to 14.1C now, completely overcast all day , muggy and raining ( heavy the last hour 8.0mm recorded in the gauge so far). Only consolation is that there is that tremendous summer smell of the rain on trees and plants and feeling a lot fresher then the last few days :)

Wind light and variable from the NW

Bar 1008.4mb Steady

Same down on my place in North Mayo. Summer is yet to get going there:(

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Same down on my place in North Mayo. Summer is yet to get going there:(

Take a look at RTE's Forecast, there's a scorcher of a Friday on the way to the northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The record UK temp wasn't subject to the London UHI, and stations in small towns away from London have reported 34c today.

Given the airflow, the UHI effect of the greater London region may have affected these smaller towns indirectly.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 19 redstaar

Hw do u start a trend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Only Phoenix Park is inside the M50.....

There are a few more that don't appear in the 25 synoptic list.

Fog was reported around the Dublin region at about 8pm today, can anyone confirm this?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Fog was reported around the Dublin region at about 8pm today, can anyone confirm this?

Not here anyway! There is a gale blowing, it's 20C and humidity is down to 70%!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain stopped about an hour ago, 10mm in the manual gauge here near Tralee

12.9C, just before dark could see a clearance W and N of me

Almost calm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Its been some heatwave ha ha 😊

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Since May 1st I have seen about 10 hours of sunshine in total,and rain every second day literally. Since this is technically the last month of summer, it's going to go down as one of the worst summers, definitely the worst since 2008 in my area at least. Unless something drastically changes in the next 4 weeks.

Its been some heatwave ha ha 😊

Haha someone will kill you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Since May 1st I have seen about 10 hours of sunshine in total,and rain every second day literally. Since this is technically the last month of summer, it's going to go down as one of the worst summers, definitely the worst since 2008 in my area at least. Unless something drastically changes in the next 4 weeks.

You have just under two months of summer left, meteorological summer goes from June 1 and ending on August 31.

ComfortKid wrote: »

Since when did May become a summer month? :confused:

Not sure where you're living but June finished with near or below rainfall totals everywhere. June/Summer 2008 was a different ball game altogether.

New Moon

Fresher day (humidity 55%), mainly sunny morning now mainly clouded over. Light breeze, overnight low 14.5C currently 21C.

Seventh day in a row with a max over 20C and a min above 13C. Also, 25th dry day (so far!) of the past 27 days; last significant rain, >5mm, 1st June (6.6mm); before that 19th May (7.2mm).

Two more months of this please! :)

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Since when did May become a summer month? :confused:

Not sure where you're living but June finished with near or below rainfall totals everywhere. June/Summer 2008 was a different ball game altogether.

May has always been a summer month in Ireland? Come on!!

June was a terrible month here in west clare, wind, mist and sun was a rarity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 WealthyVVanker

Xenji wrote:
    You have just under two months of summer left, meteorological summer goes from June 1 and ending on August 31.

Oneiric 3 wrote:
    Since when did May become a summer month?

We all know summer is June 1st to August 31st. I think the poster knows this too hence the "technically summer" part. We are thought in school that summer is May to July.
    June was a particularly wet and windy month for parts in Mid/South West areas. I'd certainly say it was the worst June in a few years. Very little sunshine and lots of wind, maybe not much rain.

• Advertisement

We are thought in school that summer is May to July.

Well I wasn't thought that in school...

New Moon

Advertisement