Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Met.ie June rainfall summary

Rainfall: ‘Dry spell’ lead to low monthly rainfall totals in parts

Nearly all stations had rainfall totals below their Long-Term Average (LTA) apart from some southern
    Atlantic coastal stations.

Percentage of LTA values were lowest mainly in the eastern half of the country
    with values of around 50% or less.

Dublin stations reported LTAs of below 30% with low monthly totals
    here and at isolated stations in the South and Southeast attributed to a ‘dry spell’
    none of which is credited 1.0 mm or more) of varying lengths between the 6th and 26th. Dublin (Phoenix Park) had
    the month’s lowest percentage of LTA and monthly rainfall total with 17% and 11.8mm, its driest June since

Other Dublin stations of Dublin Airport and Casement Aerodrome reported 14.1mm (21% of LTA)
    and 17.4mm (28% of LTA) respectively, their driest June since the mid-1990’s.
    The month’s highest
    percentage of LTA was at Sherkin Island, Co Cork with 103% and 77.4mm, around a third (23.6 mm) falling
    as the month’s wettest day on the 1st.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 WealthyVVanker

Oneiric 3 wrote:
    Well I wasn't thought that in school...

Ok, so when did you finish your education? I was anyway,so I presumed everyone else was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Meteorological summer in Ireland has always been June - August; in fact MT Cranium has pointed out that the warmest three month period is actually from about 10th June to 10th September.

In America/Canada at similar latitudes summer is officially 21st June to 20th September.

Dry doesn't necessarily mean a good summer. If I remember correctly, people posting on this thread had their heating on and lighting fires up as far as mid june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cloudy breezy and fresh day here. Actually started out a lovely bright morning but a very unspectacular feel to the day now.

• Advertisement

June was officially dry and cooler than average, what are we arguing about?

Dry doesn't necessarily mean a good summer. If I remember correctly, people posting on this thread had their heating on and lighting fires up as far as mid june.

Dry is the most important component; it was also very sunny. Dry and sunny beats warm and wet any time!

Yes, the first two weeks (till mid June) were cool, dry and sunny; but that's the first two weeks of the 13 week long summer.

The next three weeks (in the East) were not only dry and sunny but above average temperatures as well.

It certainly wasn't "very sunny" in parts of the West and Mid West which is the area we were discussing. In fact I can't recall one sunny day in June. A few hours here and there but no weather good enough to get the sun loungers out. Dry yes, but did not feel like summer at any stage.

Does anyone have the stats for rainfall in the Kerry/Clare area? Although we had a good few dry days earlier in the month, I find it hard to believe it was dryer than LTA. No heavy rain as such, but a mist and light showers were a frequent occurrence for June.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

Ok, so when did you finish your education? I was anyway,so I presumed everyone else was.

The Irish meteorological summer months are June, July, August.

The Irish calendar summer months are May, June, July.

In our school we were taught that summer was May, June, July.😀

• Advertisement

Does anyone have the stats for rainfall in the Kerry/Clare area? Although we had a good few dry days earlier in the month, I find it hard to believe it was dryer than LTA. No heavy rain as such, but a mist and light showers were a frequent occurrence for June.

June rainfall

Shannon
    2015 - 27.2mm (39%)
    2014 - 40.5mm (58%)
    2013 - 64.2mm (92%)
    2012 - 166.9mm (239%)

Valentia
    2015 - 81.4 (85%)
    2014 - 56.0 (59%)
    2013 - 138.0 (145%)
    2012 - 128.3 (135%)

Mace Head
    2015 - 56.6 (69%)
    2014 - 38.6 (47%)
    2013 - 57.2 (69%)
    2012 - 119.6 (145%)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Meterological summer is summer, i.e. the scientific one.

Calendar summer means nothing, a hotch potch of pagan ritual dates and force of habit.

June, July, August.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just going by Valentia data. there was 11 days with 1.0mm or more recorded, of which 5 had more than 5.0 mm and 3 had more than 10 mm. There was also 11 days where no rain recorded at all, which you rightly say occurred mostly in the first half of the month. I can see where you are coming from given that all but one of the days between the 20th & 30th of June saw rain recorded at Valentia, averaging 4.5 mm per day.

New Moon

It certainly wasn't "very sunny" in parts of the West and Mid West which is the area we were discussing.

Missed that, I thought the discussion covered the whole country!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The Irish meteorological summer months are June, July, August.

The Irish calendar summer months are May, June, July.

In our school we were taught that summer was May, June, July.😀

Do you mean the aincient pagan calendar that no longer applies?

I do know why this comes up all the time

August is the hottest month of the year all over Europe and peak season for Summer Holidays and people in Ireland (and only Ireland) try to make out it's Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Given the airflow, the UHI effect of the greater London region may have affected these smaller towns indirectly.

50 miles north? Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you mean the aincient pagan calendar that no longer applies?

I do know why this comes up all the time

August is the hottest month of the year all over Europe and peak season for Summer Holidays and people in Ireland (and only Ireland) try to make out it's Autumn.

As I said the Irish Meteorological months are June, July, August.

The calender month system is the way its taught in Irish Schools, its that way in the majority of school textbooks, so its no wonder people get mixed up. I was only explaining the above as a few pages back there was an argument about May with other posters. Ancient pagan calendar that no longer applies????? It's still being taught that way in schools today all around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

As I said the Irish Meteorological months are June, July, August.

The calender month system is the way its taught in Irish Schools, its that way in the majority of school textbooks, so its no wonder people get mixed up. I was only explaining the above as a few pages back there was an argument about May with other posters. Ancient pagan calendar that no longer applies????? It's still being taught that way in schools today all around the country.

Indeed, not every one is a meteorologist, and infact Mid summers day is in June ;)

Pangea wrote: »
    Indeed, not every one is a meteorologist, and infact Mid summers day is in June ;)

And in America summer starts on midsummers day!

But I think the point is that this is a weather thread and it gets tedious folk insisting every time the issue comes up that May is summer and August is autumn, which weather-wise is complete nonsense.

Now a message for all those complaining about the "terrible" June :)

The Examiner: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/last-month-was-warmest-june-for-19-years-684766.html
    Surprising as it may sound, last month was the warmest June we have had in 19 years.

It was also the driest in 40 years with low rainfall recorded in most areas.

Now while it was extremely dry and sunny in Dublin I didn't realise it was so hot!

That is indeed "surprising" :rolleyes:

Addendum: Even odder the Met Eireann summary says of June "Extremely dry in parts, cool overall"

Are those hacks on crack in Cork? :)

• Advertisement

The Irish Farmer's Journal gets rather excited about how "June had the highest temperature recorded so far in 2015"

What a surprising turn of events!

If there is another thread dealing with this surrealism then I half-heartedly apologise for bringing it up here :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All I know is that is fecking humid :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Now a message for all those complaining about the "terrible" June :)

The Examiner: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/last-month-was-warmest-june-for-19-years-684766.html

Now while it was extremely dry and sunny in Dublin I didn't realise it was so hot!

That is indeed "surprising" :rolleyes:

Addendum: Even odder the Met Eireann summary says of June "Extremely dry in parts, cool overall"

Absolutely disgraceful reporting. How on earth do they get away with spewing out this ill researched, nugatory junk?

This chart shows the IMT temperature anomaly for June since 2007. It is based on the mean of 11 stations around the country so a good representation for a national overview. All data is courtesy of Met Eireann.

354031.PNG

It was, overall, the coolest June since 2012. It was cooler than June last year even and a long way off the warmth of June 2010, which was the warmest within the short period.

I really despair at the quality of reporting in the so called 'quality' Irish media. It's all about the story now - too hell with any notion of calibre and substance. :(

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That pressure spike I've been predicting for ~10th July still looks like it's on. The ECM and GFS are diverging somewhat, with the ECM showing a far more favourable potential situation, but all the same it's looking pretty good. Will post some charts later.

I realise that FI is FI, but I'm a firm believe in starting to believe in it a little more then it persistently shows similar charts over the course of many runs. So here's hoping. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Serious heat today here in the north east, back garden surrounded by a hedge so theres not much breeze getting through, and its roasting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jesus its humid today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Jesus its humid today.

Very breezy here actually the breeze has been a feature of the summer in these parts so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭briany

Few clouds here now in NCD and a bit of a fresh breeze starting up. Nice for me because I just can't abide by humid conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Absolutely disgraceful reporting. How on earth do they get away with spewing out this ill researched, nugatory junk?

This chart shows the IMT temperature anomaly for June since 2007. It is based on the mean of 11 stations around the country so a good representation for a national overview. All data is courtesy of Met Eireann.

354031.PNG

It was, overall, the coolest June since 2012. It was cooler than June last year even and a long way off the warmth of June 2010, which was the warmest within the short period.

I really despair at the quality of reporting in the so called 'quality' Irish media. It's all about the story now - too hell with any notion of calibre and substance. :(
    Agreed and its on everything not just weather
    That said
    Ironically it was one of the warmer ones in East Wicklow #imby and there were probably other areas around the country with local variations from a broader picture
    Sat 20th june was in my top 5 temps in the last decade for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

not a very nice chart for the time of year, it looks like the heatwave in western Europe will be well and truly over.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax120s.gif?0

Advertisement