Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I took a drive through town a few minutes ago, many houses have fires lit! (Kilrush-West Clare)
    Same in NW Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

"FURTHER OUTLOOK ... Warmer again by end of the week, highs could be into low 20s or even mid 20s at times by the weekend of 11th-12th. This warmer regime appears fairly robust and any slight cooling mid-month may then revert to warmer temperatures. So, if that comes to pass, this coming wet spell will prove to be very useful to many despite the inclement conditions for a few days.."

Surely there's hope with MTs forcast this morning? I was delighted when I read this anyway?!:)

I don't see that in todays forecast I just copied what he posted this morning, where did you get that one

FURTHER OUTLOOK ... Generally somewhat unsettled but with some sunshine most
    days as well as passing showers next week, temperatures near normal in the 18-21
    C range daytime hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Feeling unpleasantly cool with light to moderate drizzle in the Limerick area. Shannon Airport reporting temperature of 13 or 14c. No wonder there are fires lit. I am wearing a jumper this evening for the first time in about two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I don't see that in todays forecast I just copied what he posted this morning, where did you get that one

SORRY!(morto!) I am totally wrong :(...was looking at the wrong daily forecast on my computer whatever the pages loaded on me, thats from a few days ago!...
    At least I think temps are going to improve compared to todays chilliness!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Feeling unpleasantly cool with light to moderate drizzle in the Limerick area. Shannon Airport reporting temperature of 13 or 14c. No wonder there are fires lit. I am wearing a jumper this evening for the first time in about two weeks.

I know that's cold for summer but I find it amazing that people light fires at 14c. I know I live in southern England, but it can't be that much warmer here. I don't have a fire unless it's approaching 0c and rarely put the heating on above 11-12c.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I know that's cold for summer but I find it amazing that people light fires at 14c. I know I live in southern England, but it can't be that much warmer here. I don't have a fire unless it's approaching 0c and rarely put the heating on above 11-12c.

Eskimo blood? :)

I threw a log in the afternoon at a damp windy 14C; tonight it's 13.5C - not so bad.

We tolerate/expect much lower temperatures at night in bed!

Why else would 18C be a hot sticky sleepless night for so many while 18C in mid-afternoon in mid-July is pretty miserable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

It maxed at just under 24C today in London and the coldest day in the past two weeks still reached 22C..

14C with wind, mist and drizzle is something you'd expect in December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Going to work this morning in Galway it was lashing rain windy and the temp in the car said 12 degrees, 😠

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was easily the coldest day since the crap we experienced throughout May, temp hovered between 11 and 14C all day with mist, rain and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Very chilly in Cork today - autumnal even, and very blustery also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

What is with all the wind that we have been experiencing the last few months?

It seems to be non-stop all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Have definitely noticed that on the bike around Wicklow, absolute pain in the ass.

So much for looking on the bright side. The run of 20C+ days came to an end today with a high of 17.6C, the coolest here since mid June.

At least it was dry and to my astonishment a nearby house had a bbq going this evening in a breezy, cloudy 15C!

I ran in and threw another log on the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dublin AP is reporting 15c at 14:30. It's July....

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

20c, no wind, strong sunshine. Very pleasant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tomorrow should be warm, after that the weekend and all next week will feel more like late October than early July, temps will struggle to hit mid teens most of next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Heating on tonight. So disappointing really poor weather. Dull dank cool breezy ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Heating on tonight. So disappointing really poor weather. Dull dank cool breezy ****e.

jaysus, I have all the upstairs windows and velux's all open to try let the heat out. Was 24c in the bedroom an hour ago before I opened the window.

You live in an older less insulated house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

highdef wrote: »
    jaysus, I have all the upstairs windows and velux's all open to try let the heat out. Was 24c in the bedroom an hour ago before I opened the window.

Nope modern new house but its damp breezy and 14 degrees and I spent the last couple of hours outside

Lovely sunny day till it clouded over mid-afternoon. But the temperatures are a bit Octoberish!

Overnight low 7.5C and max 16.9C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lovely day despite starting off dull mid-day to mid afternoon there was some lovely sunshine. Very close and humid though again...
    I can't believe some people have heating on today....jaysus :eek:

highdef wrote: »

Same here...today was very warm and close.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

I wonder if the large wildfires over in canada and US are affecting the weather over here (sometimes a weather event might in someway affect another part of the world). It might be the reason why in this week the weather has fallen below expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I've experienced a few decades of Irish summers. If I remember right, 15-19 degrees is about what we get, when it's good! I think people are expecting far too much from an Irish summer.

I was staying with french people in 1990 and remember one particular girl's consternation and disbelief when the forecaster announced a high of 9 for the following day.

This fcuking constant wind though is wrecking my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Seems to be a real devide between the UK and Ireland - We are just too damn west at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Have to say here in sligo its been depressingly grey overcast and wet this july. Just feels like constant grey clouds overhead. Very grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I am comfortably sitting in a tshirt in Naas, it is 16C at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

misty drizzle here since late afternoon and not all that warm.. :mad:

Lucreto wrote: »
    I am comfortably sitting in a tshirt in Naas, it is 16C at the moment.

I think there's a real east-west divide to this summer? I see people commenting that it's cool and dull :confused::confused:. My abiding sense of this summer is the closeness and humidity more than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

road_high wrote: »
    I think there's a real east-west divide to this summer? I see people commenting that it's cool and dull :confused::confused:. My abiding sense of this summer is the closeness and humidity more than anything else.

i'd agree with you up to this week, at least here i think it's turned noticeably cooler. still a lot of overcast days:pac:

Advertisement