Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Not all bad news folks! :)

Nice day here in Dublin; sunny morning, then cloudy and breezy, then sunny spells as the cloud broke up late afternoon.

Another dry day and max 17.7C; currently 17.2C. Cool for July I'll admit....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

javagal wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Not sure if this is allowed but have my baby's birthday on the 19th, is it likely to rain, or is it too far away to know?
    Would like to know so can be prepared!
    Sorry if this isn't allowed, mods can remove!

Thank you 😜

Early indicator is that Sunday the 19th would be a wet but the prospect for Saturday the 18th would be mainly sunny. As these are very early dictator the forecast for the 19th could change dramatically and hopefully for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

It's been an absolutely foul day in a Galway city - incessant, driving drizzle since morning with temps hovering between 14-15C.
    This is the sixth day in a row that's been wet - we could do with a bit of sun out west!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Havent seen the sun in weeks here in sligo. Forgotten what it looks like at this stage. If this weather keeps up im emigrating to wexford. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No rain to speak of, but the swings from cool and fresh to mild and humid have been notable. One constant is the breeze which is unusual for a sheltered valley well inland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I was in Waterford city for a while today, weather was horrific there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

Yesterday it rained for the full day here in Leitrim. Cool enough as well.
    The forecast for next week doesn't fill me with much confidence.

May was an utter wash out. Rain and cold.
    June was wet but at least we saw the sun for a while.
    July.................Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Rock 1234 wrote: »
    Any chance of break from the rain and low temperatures, Together with the wind,
    Of course Ireland's climate is pretty unsettled, that is the price you pay for sitting so far out in the Atlantic Ocean,
    If my memory serves me correctly I read somewhere that Ireland only had fifteen good summers from nineteen hundred to nineteen ninety nine,
    That's a very specific number. What are the criteria that must be met for a summer to be classified as "good"? Who set them and who checks them?

I suspect what you read was complete bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Its obviously better than yesterday but its not great. Cloudy mild but not warm no sun ominous clouds. Sums up a lot of this meh summer around here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

No great shapes down around the South East over the summer either. Compared to the UK and the over on the continent, its laughable Ireland always on the wrong side for either heat or cold weather during the winter months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the weekend hasn't been great here either, yesterday started warm and sunny but some showery rain yesterday evening and still feeling quite cool today, only 17C.

Mainly cloudy day with occasional sunny bursts. Calm, fifth dry day in a row.

High 18.7C.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

In Dublin. Had planned a BBQ for today. All week the weather forcast was ok for today according to ME, however a big disapointment overall.

alentejo wrote: »
    In Dublin. Had planned a BBQ for today. All week the weather forcast was ok for today according to ME, however a big disapointment overall.

No wind (or rain) this evening - you should have gone ahead with the bbq. Had a neighbour here a few days back who had one with a near gale blowing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think we can forget any settled weather from here until end August and September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I think we can forget any settled weather from here until end August and September.
    We can write off July at this stage and a good August is very rare after a poor July, 2003 is the only summer that I'm aware of when a fine August followed a poor July. Very good Septembers are common after a poor summer and I wouldn't rule out that happening this year.
    A grim chart- a real 2007-12 job! :eek:
    http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax120s.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Once the global warming really kicks in the next few decades, we'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

So this is what its been like to live on the west coast this summer ;), its grey miserable and wet in the NE this morning.

Finally getting some decent rain to, all the pot holes on the road are full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Like a mild October morning. Dark wet and miserable. Last night was dark early too actually. So disappointing this summer has been and no sign of any improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Got my fingers crossed that the afternoon/early evening on Sunday sees a hold off of the rain and some break in the cloud over Bray for the annual AirShow. First year to have a Jet Display team in the form of the Patrouille de Suisse and it would be a shame to only see a low level flat flyby display due to low cloud as opposed to a full on acrobatic formation Display.

• Advertisement

Once the global warming really kicks in the next few decades, we'll be sorted.

I heard 30 years ago that GW would have sorted us by now; a climate like Bordeaux by 2020 they forecast :cool:

Bit of rain overnight (2.6mm); then sunny spells and cloudy intervals; high 22.2C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the rest of this month is a total write-off, the Atlantic is firmly back in charge feeding muck across the country each and every day throughout the rest of the week into next week.

I heard 30 years ago that GW would have sorted us by now; a climate like Bordeaux by 2020 they forecast :cool:

Bit of rain overnight (2.6mm); then sunny spells and cloudy intervals; high 22.2C.

of course all this GW talk is pure rubbish, Ireland will still have the same crappy atlantic climate just missing out on cold snaps and heatwaves by a matter of 100 miles well into the next century and beyond:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So the Atlantic regime is back in place, what are the chances of Fog and extreme weather events (strong winds, storms, thundery showers etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Little to none. Too much wind for good fog, the lows aren't deep enough for storms and there isn't enough heat for thundery showers.

Little to none. Too much wind for good fog, the lows aren't deep enough for storms and there isn't enough heat for thundery showers.

But the lows might be shallow enough to keep the rain from reaching us here in the East? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

So the Azores has done a runner! - this can only mean one thing, we'll be looking at a big 1040 one next winter for weeks on end!
    Dontcha just love the Irish climate!
    http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax84s.gif?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

But the lows might be shallow enough to keep the rain from reaching us here in the East? :)

Oh they will be ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

So the Azores has done a runner! - this can only mean one thing, we'll be looking at a big 1040 one next winter for weeks on end!
    Dontcha just love the Irish climate!
    http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax84s.gif?1

I am expecting it with above average temperatures with 15C on Christmas Day.

• Advertisement

Lucreto wrote: »
    I am expecting it with above average temperatures with 15C on Christmas Day.

That's certainly more likely than getting above average temperatures for the August Bank Holiday!

Advertisement