Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Not sure about eveyone else but the last two or three summers have been brilliant down here in Wexford. This one hasn't been too bad either, Until now that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

The last three days here in sligo have been really nice, sun shining 17 or 18 degrees. Today there hasnt been much rain just the winds are picking up. I see they have a weather warning out for gusts of 90-110km for tonight and tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Xenji wrote: »
    Its hovering around 11C today, it was around 18C yesterday, just meant it is around 7C colder today than yesterday.

Ok, but 11 is still cold too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Monsoonal rain this evening in Arklow,non stop all day since 1130 am,39.4 mm and rising

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

20mm here so far today, awesome, the ground absolutely needed it, am over the moon!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Another dismal day in a forgettable summer. I am close to declaring the summer over folks. Its almost late July and we have had little or no good weather

Today has an end of summer feel to it which is crazy for mid july.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

mg1982 wrote: »
    Today has an end of summer feel to it which is crazy for mid july.

an end to the summer that never began

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Wind howling outside raining all day and dark....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

15C now, far milder than earlier on where temps struggle to hit 11C here all afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Supercell wrote: »
    20mm here so far today, awesome, the ground absolutely needed it, am over the moon!

I'm so happy for your vegetables :rolleyes:

Only 11.4mm here up the road.

It is now 16C, the highest temp of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Rock 1234

The rain in Spain remains mainly on the plain, but the rain in Ireland is a pain and I believe the wind is coming, Watch out for blight with them potatoes,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Another dismal day in a forgettable summer. I am close to declaring the summer over folks. Its almost late July and we have had little or no good weather

And tonight's models certainly don't inspire much hope. A big ugly Greenland High on ECM for the end of next week. If it verifies you can say goodbye to our prospects of anything decent for the rest of the month. After that we need August to break a very long trend of poor efforts, so not feeling too hopefull tonight regarding our chances of salvaging this "summer".:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Speak for yourself,We've had loads of fine weather in Arklow with just 2 wet days since the end of May :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Speak for yourself,We've had loads of fine weather in Arklow with just 2 wet days since the end of May :D

unfortunately it seems our luck has finally run out. yesterday was miserable and today is cold and showery with plenty more rain over the next 1-2 weeks at least. We got away with a great June, however July nearly always seems to be a washout most summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Speak for yourself WheatenBriar and don't forget your cousins on the western seaboard! :( It's been a pretty shyte summer in the south west. The default mode is grey mist,punctuated by lots of windy downpours and very rarely interrupted by a fine sunmmer's day. Wednesday was a rare gem which we probably won't see again for weeks.

At this stage I'm starting to look forward to September,in the hopes that as has happened in many a bad summer,it will bring something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Even last year while raving about our second fabulous Summer in a row on the East Coast in Costa Del Bray and Playa Del Arklow I noted that it wasn't even a case of a country of two halves but a country of 'The Rest and a 5 mile sliver of Blue on the East Coast from Bray south". I said back then that if ever I was talking to someone anywhere west of the Wicklow mountains about the weather and raved about the Summer of 2014 I'd likely get very confused expressions in return......"but...but...Summer 2014 was Sh!te???"

It was amazing to see on the Sat imagery that everyday before noon once convection got going that the rest of the country would cloud over into a dull day while a sliver of clear blue skies would remain along the East coast from Bray south. Basically areas in the lee of the Wicklow and Dublin Mountains. Like literally drive out of Bray and it would be cloudy over Shankill or Killiney Northwards. Drive a few miles inland on the M50 and it would be cloudy over Dundrum.

So I am not surprised when I hear the likes of "What was so great about Summer 2014???" because it simply wasn't great for the vast majority of the country outside of the Sunny South East. Theres a reason that phrase was coined.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Torrential rain for most of the day in Castlebar so far, definitely a week of two halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Xenji wrote: »
    Torrential rain for most of the day in Castlebar so far, definitely a week of two halves.

Stupid net weather radar suggests than it has only been showers in Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

highdef wrote: »
    Stupid net weather radar suggests than it has only been showers in Castlebar

If you get 5 minutes between showers your doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

think we will get snow lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Very windy in Virginia tree down across road

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Calibos wrote: »
    Even last year while raving about our second fabulous Summer in a row on the East Coast in Costa Del Bray and Playa Del Arklow I noted that it wasn't even a case of a country of two halves but a country of 'The Rest and a 5 mile sliver of Blue on the East Coast from Bray south". I said back then that if ever I was talking to someone anywhere west of the Wicklow mountains about the weather and raved about the Summer of 2014 I'd likely get very confused expressions in return......"but...but...Summer 2014 was Sh!te???"

It was amazing to see on the Sat imagery that everyday before noon once convection got going that the rest of the country would cloud over into a dull day while a sliver of clear blue skies would remain along the East coast from Bray south. Basically areas in the lee of the Wicklow and Dublin Mountains. Like literally drive out of Bray and it would be cloudy over Shankill or Killiney Northwards. Drive a few miles inland on the M50 and it would be cloudy over Dundrum.

So I am not surprised when I hear the likes of "What was so great about Summer 2014???" because it simply wasn't great for the vast majority of the country outside of the Sunny South East. Theres a reason that phrase was coined.
    Nah, not buying that here in Kilcullen Co kildare we have had 2 pretty good summers and this year has not been that bad, its only this past ten days or so that has not been brill. The most noticeable thing about this years weather is how dry its been here in Kildare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Calibos wrote: »

The stats would indicate that last year was a good summer across Dublin and much of Leinster; this year it would appear we are living in narrow corridor of good weather - but it has been dry and sunny compared to average across Dublin - not just here.

Yesterday, however, was awful - like a day out of summer '85 (only not as windy)!

Breezy now, good sunshine - but the max was only 17.7C

Last summer wasnt too bad, there wasnt much sun but it was dry at least. Here in sligo its being very windy all day but rainfall has being minimal. Showers seem to be passing over quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dodging the Deluges is my new pastime here in Dublin by the Phoenix Park.

Looks gorgeous one minute, clothes out on the line. Next minute dark as the divil, and athletic contortions to get the clothes in before they need another wash. It is so windy too.

I dunno. I'm the type that never remembers that we had some great weather in June, but am constantly fed up with the grey skies an spitting and sometimes heavy rain now in July.

Yesterday 16th was the most depressing, grey, dreary day. I suppose you expect that in the late Autumn/Wintertime, but when it happens in Summer it is so disappointing and depressing.

Not much good news on the horizon either. Changeable and windy. With a lot of rain I suppose. Bought a new rain jacket this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A gust of 49 knots @ Malin head on the 1600 reports, theres not many days in July you will get that!! Meanwhile,in castlebar its drying out,in fact good drying in a strong westerly breeze. 14 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Another complete washout of a day in Galway City. Wind and rain all morning with no let up in sight. Thoroughly miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well at least a change from the heavy showers. Torrential rain.

Dreadful weather here in Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nice summers day is this part of Dublin. Sunny. 20.1c atm.

Advertisement