Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Loving the cool evenings. I am getting good night's sleep during the summer. It has been years since it last happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I dislike the cool evenings, I would rather a warm night with a warm evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Dry and cool here (17C) - the storey of the summer here. Not bad, no wind today, but the sunshine has been noticeably scarcer the past week or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temps struggling to get past the mid-teens over past week, feeling more like mid October than mid July lately. Currently 14C, the cool theme looks set to continue into the 1st week of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I heard that from my Dad yesterday evening. :rolleyes:
    Someone said to me the other day that there was going to be a heatwave at the end of the month.
    I didn't even waste my breath explaining to them about James Madden and the Daily Express.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Someone said to me the other day that there was going to be a heatwave at the end of the month.
    I didn't even waste my breath explaining to them about James Madden and the Daily Express.

This month or August?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The rest of the summer is likely to be forced into a similar trend by this sea surface temperature pattern:

anomnight.7.20.2015.gif

Although some recent model runs have shown improvements around early August, I notice those being downgraded today and the problem seems to be that the Azores high cannot swell up enough to push the storm track back to the north with all that cold water just to the northwest of the Azores making for an ideal frontal zone fed by regular short wave activity blasting across the northern U.S. in response to another upstream anomaly, still largely frozen Hudson Bay. This is very much of a cold climate sort of pattern despite what authorities secular and religious may be saying, and the El Nino can go off the scale without disrupting it, in fact to some extent it just reinforces it by pumping up heights in western North America where we are having a sweltering hot summer. A secondary reinforcing aspect is that the heat is creating a lot of forest fire smoke which can only become a negative factor downstream both in terms of reducing insolation and increasing available precipitation nuclei.

So in other words huddle in place and hope for the usual September warm spell in this sort of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭frogloch

I know its too early to tell, but do you think this will have an effect on our winter. I mean were conditions like this before 2009-2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Calibos wrote: »
    Even last year while raving about our second fabulous Summer in a row on the East Coast in Costa Del Bray and Playa Del Arklow I noted that it wasn't even a case of a country of two halves but a country of 'The Rest and a 5 mile sliver of Blue on the East Coast from Bray south". I said back then that if ever I was talking to someone anywhere west of the Wicklow mountains about the weather and raved about the Summer of 2014 I'd likely get very confused expressions in return......"but...but...Summer 2014 was Sh!te???"

It was amazing to see on the Sat imagery that everyday before noon once convection got going that the rest of the country would cloud over into a dull day while a sliver of clear blue skies would remain along the East coast from Bray south. Basically areas in the lee of the Wicklow and Dublin Mountains. Like literally drive out of Bray and it would be cloudy over Shankill or Killiney Northwards. Drive a few miles inland on the M50 and it would be cloudy over Dundrum.

So I am not surprised when I hear the likes of "What was so great about Summer 2014???" because it simply wasn't great for the vast majority of the country outside of the Sunny South East. Theres a reason that phrase was coined.
    Costa Del Bray is right, Ive had my bedroom windows wide open for 2 months now, been sunburned a few times, Airshow the other day like one of the rose tinted perfect Summer days from when we were kids, this has been a perfect Summer up here. Surprised nobodies set fire to Bray Head and the Cliff Walk yet...

The rest of the summer is likely to be forced into a similar trend by this sea surface temperature pattern:

anomnight.7.20.2015.gif

Nice hot offshore ocean in your neck of the woods!

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Costa Del Bray is right, Ive had my bedroom windows wide open for 2 months now, been sunburned a few times, Airshow the other day like one of the rose tinted perfect Summer days from when we were kids, this has been a perfect Summer up here. Surprised nobodies set fire to Bray Head and the Cliff Walk yet...

Don't say that. The whole country will be emigrating to Bray, it's fine the way it is ;).

It extends a bit further north than Bray; 2014 was very good here (and in the city) and this year has been pretty good too, though slightly cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I hear that Bray's a kip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I refer you to my oft posted thesis in the Wicklow forum with regard to the Bray Head fires. You know the one...Darts closed for Summer in 2006, Broke cycle, Dublins finest never came back en masse, Seafront started to Gentrify, Portmarnock and Howth got the riots instead Yadda Yadda! Basically, dramatically less yobs with bags of cans coming to Bray and setting fire to the Head as they left. :D Thats my theory anyway. :D

[Edit] I refer the right honourable ladies and gentlemen to the post above as to the reason I post my treatise about Bray so often when someone takes a dig at Bray. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

So in other words huddle in place and hope for the usual September warm spell in this sort of year.

Cheers for ruining my day M.T. !

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Cheers for ruining my day M.T. !

Fine, its going to be in the high 20's maybe even the low 30's with no wind and clear skies ever day from the first week of August lasting all the way until early September.

You'd wonder why James Madden's forecasts were so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I hear that Bray's a kip ;)

I wouldn't call Bray a kip. Not the nicest place but certainly nota kip

WEB_sat_vis_eur.jpg Great satellite picture this evening of the low pressure system to nw of us.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Well this would be unseasonably windy.

168-515UK_hnp0.GIF

WTF? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like summer is over for us, August most likely looking to be a write-off. Hopefully there will be a few dry, sunny and warm days in September.

What's your reasoning behind August being a write off?

What's your reasoning behind August being a write off?

the next few weeks doesnt look good, MT's forecast for August is bleak and a guess that we are now locked into an active Atlantic which can last for weeks if not months on end. Really hope to be proven wrong tho, we could do with a sunnier, warmer August!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Been a nice enough day in sligo, apart from a few light showers. Temps about 17 degrees. We need more of this but a bit warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Don't worry lads , theres always the start of Autumn to look forward to.

cfs-0-966_kbh9.png

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Don't worry lads , theres always the start of Autumn to look forward to.

cfs-0-966_kbh9.png

That ole back-to-school weather - I remember it well!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks pretty hairy for southeast England tomorrow evening/night.

Winds gusting over 60mph and up to 50mm of rain, locally more

Raining 8 degrees dark miserable.

Woke up at 6am this morning, nice thick fog around which burned off quickly, severe grass dew and a nice fresh northerly breeze. Fine morning.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    severe grass frost and a nice fresh northerly breeze..

Seriously?? :eek:

Low overnight here 8.4C, calm sunny 11.4C now.

Advertisement