Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭OldRio

More rain. Awful just awful summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

mg1982 wrote:
    Looks like there are parts of Ireland that had a good summer but as been said before there is a real east west divide. I still dont think its been anywhere as bad 2012 or the summers before but just very dissapointing.

It's worse than 2012 in West Limerick. Honestly, we have rain 26 days in June, and about 15 so far in August, and when it's not raining it looks like it's going to. Worst since 07 I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

mg1982 wrote: »
    Looks like there are parts of Ireland that had a good summer but as been said before there is a real east west divide. I still dont think its been anywhere as bad 2012 or the summers before but just very dissapointing.

356360.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Only my fifth wet day since the last week of may,out of 60 odd in Arklow,including well over three weeks in a row with not even a shower
    The majority of days reached 20c or above with the exception of the last week,though we got there yesterday
    All in all good
    I'm not joking when I say that my garden badly needed this rain (my garden does NOT need these unusually low temps though!! 12.7c) I've had 12mm so far today and this is the first time in months I've had a fall in excess of 10mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not surprised Reek Sunday has been cancelled, we have had around 17mm of rain in the last 12 hours, that is on top of having around 20 or so wet days this month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Time to close the thread lads this "summer" is over

I just saw the forecast for next week on another thread. Looking at a night time temp. of 2C on Thursday.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

OldRio wrote: »
    I just saw the forecast for next week on another thread. Looking at a night time temp. of 2C on Thursday.:eek:

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

OldRio wrote: »

Won't get down to that. Maybe in Katesbridge, Co. Down some night under clear skies, but that can happen any day there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another horrible day, yesterday was decent enough tho. I think for the majority of places in Ireland this summer can be added to the string of terrible summers like 2007-2012, 1985, 1986 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Today has been the Wettest and Coldest day of the summer so far without doubt here in north Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Won't get down to that. Maybe in Katesbridge, Co. Down some night under clear skies, but that can happen any day there!

Got as low as 3.2c at Mount Dillon the other morning so nothing would surprise me at this stage.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Finally I know what you are all talking about ;)

Raining here the past 12 hours (total 11.8mm) - not very heavy but dull and wet. Cold as well, max currently 13.1C.

Light wind, almost calm which only increases the melancholy of the day. :(

This is the first "full wet day" here since early May. It would be nice it it were the last before October.

Sod the vegetables...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Finally I know what you are all talking about ;)

Raining here the past 12 hours (total 11.8mm) - not very heavy but dull and wet. Cold as well, max currently 13.1C.

Light wind, almost calm which only increases the melancholy of the day. :(

This is the first "full wet day" here since early May. It would be nice it it were the last before October.

Sod the vegetables...
    sun out in Arklow :D
    Anyway my definition of a wet day is 9 to 5, today didnt fulfill that
    I dont count showers as wet days obviously or night rain

sun out in Arklow :D
    Anyway my definition of a wet day is 9 to 5, today didnt fulfill that
    I dont count showers as wet days obviously or night rain

Well, I might go 8 to sunset. Either way while it's stopped raining it's still heavily overcast and damp (99%RH) here, very dull and a whopping 13.3C (a new high for the day!)

The daisies have not even bothered to poke their little heads out today....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

This July has felt more like October, particulary in the West - and things won't get any better going into August by the looks of the latest models with the Greeny High as strong as ever, keeping us in cool,unsettled NWestrly regime:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Roll on winter. Lets hope we get some proper cold weather. Just a break from the constant dreary grey overcast that we getting now.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    This July has felt more like October, particulary in the West - and things won't get any better going into August by the looks of the latest models with the Greeny High as strong as ever, keeping us in cool,unsettled NWestrly regime:(.

Be happy clappy! :)

Sing along to the tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzg-J4XFvaM

Jesus is raining on you for a reason....rejoice! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reurmett.gif
    look how temperatures have tumbled in Europe, places as far east as Poland and Hungary are doing no better than us with unusually low temperatures.
    These places were in the high 30s a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

mg1982 wrote: »
    Roll on winter. Lets hope we get some proper cold weather. Just a break from the constant dreary grey overcast that we getting now.

Time to open the Winter 15/16 Thread :D

I don't think we will get any proper cold this year, just a continuation of the mild muck we are currently receiving.

There is a Greenland high which we would have killed for last Winter at the moment which will be long gone by the time the cold reaches us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream;sess=

Jetstream not going anywhere. The misery is set to continue.

(Wednesday might be nice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

...certainly not a hot summer, that's for sure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Yesterday was the worst summers day I can remember rained the whole day here in the north east and highest temperature was 13 degrees this is incredible stuff for late july

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This is in response to a question a few days ago, sorry I forgot to look back in over the weekend. Anyway, next winter? More likely to be stormy than cold in a strong El Nino pattern (think of winter 97-98). Jet stream is likely to be fairly zonal across eastern North America and western Atlantic, and stronger than normal, drawing on the heat energy from the Pacific ridge over western NA. Cut off lows often form around California which is why they expect heavy rainfalls in an El Nino winter but the signal is usually mild/dry further north.

I wouldn't rule out spells of colder weather in Europe but the more likely concern will be Atlantic storms. This would of course be dependent on the expected strong El Nino peaking this winter (and they usually do peak in n.h. winter, hence the name).

There may have been a weaker El Nino associated with 09-10, those don't tend to force the jet stream very effectively beyond the western half of NA.

I've noticed that this stormy winter theme has been discussed by other sources recently, but it makes sense to me (even if some of the usual suspects start hyping it up, the concept is generally sound, I believe).

Another tendency that may be worth watching is that if the large negative anomaly in SST values stays in place north of the Azores, this would tend to force the tropical storm development south of its normal latitudes around 40W and create a higher than average chance for a strong remnant system to reach the eastern Atlantic at relatively low latitudes. In other words, you may get a remnant tropical storm or former hurricane at some point in September or October and not well off to the northwest as has happened so many times in recent decades. But it is difficult to estimate the probability of that happening, I suppose there have been perhaps three or four really noteworthy cases in about a century which may argue for keeping the estimate below one in four even if factors appear very favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

not only is it wet and overcast but the temperatures are way below normal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Murky Dirty day in the NE, heavy drizzle all morning, not cold though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Almost two months into Summer 2015 and the stats for Galway city ain't pretty - especially when compared with 2014

Temperature (°C):
    Mean 13.9
    Minimum 6.0 on 09/06/2015
    Maximum 22.3 on 03/07/2015
    Highest Minimum 14.8 on 30/06/2015
    Lowest Maximum 12.0 on 01/06/2015

Rainfall (mm):
    Total for period 155.6
    Wettest day 22.8 on 18/07/2015
    Rain days 40
    Dry days 16

Wind (mph):
    Highest Gust 41.0 on 02/06/2015
    Wind Run 8232.9 miles

Pressure (hPa):
    Maximum 1040.00 on 08/06/2015
    Minimum 989.10 on 01/06/2015

Total hours of sunshine 299.2

Temperature (°C):
    Mean 16.1
    Minimum 4.8 on 05/06/2014
    Maximum 27.1 on 25/07/2014
    Highest Minimum 18.4 on 22/07/2014
    Lowest Maximum 14.8 on 02/06/2014

Rainfall (mm):
    Total for period 87.2
    Wettest day 11.2 on 08/06/2014
    Rain days 35
    Dry days 21

Wind (mph):
    Highest Gust 29.0 on 02/07/2014
    Wind Run 5334.2 miles

Pressure (hPa):
    Maximum 1032.14 on 16/06/2014
    Minimum 997.77 on 04/07/2014

Total hours of sunshine 318.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A washout again in Castlebar, temp 14.8C.

Advertisement