Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Could be wrong but don't think the azores high would have any real effect on the Atlantic currents.

It does. Semi-permanent high pressures are the cause of several ocean currents across the world. I was reading the Wikipedia about this last week.

ocean_currents2.jpg

july_sfc_pres.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It does. Semi-permanent high pressures are the cause of several ocean currents across the world. I was reading the Wikipedia about this last week.

ocean_currents2.jpg

july_sfc_pres.jpg
    I stand corrected :) but winds only really effect around the top 100 mmeters of the ocean.. The other few thousand is a much more complicated affair

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Could be wrong but don't think the azores high would have any real effect on the Atlantic currents.

My apologies, I thought you were referring to colder atmospheric systems in the Atlantic rather than ocean temperatures.

Unfortunately, one major factor in the Atlantic's temperature is the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation. It's been in a warm phase since 1995, which is one of the reasons there have been so many extreme hurricane seasons in the last two decades, but it has been suggested recently that it may be in the process of cycling to a colder phase, in which case it would stick around for a couple of decades. Reading up on the AMO there seems to be a huge amount of debate as to what constitutes an "average" cycle, so it's difficult to say whether we're "due" for a switch to a cold phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Here's a very interesting discussion about possible causes for the cold pool in the mid atlantic. It's a weighty read be warned, but pretty interesting.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Another fine dry occasionally sunny (albeit cool) day here in paradise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Another fine dry occasionally sunny (albeit cool) day here in paradise :)

Are you sure that you are living in the same country as the rest of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

The last few days here have been mainly dry. But jesus it feels proper cold now.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Last day of summer and as usual it's pi**ing.
    For me it was the coldest in memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Meteorological summer lasts till the end of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

If I was to sum up the summer here this year not a huge amount of rain, little sunshine breezy and cool. ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It just doesn't get any better than this on a late July afternoon. Current temp reading from my weather station:

356904.PNG

Highest temp so far today: 13.3c.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Ah come on surely you don't think summer ends in July? What are we teaching people in schools ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's friggin winter!
    (in australia)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A truly awful day in Donegal today, cold, windy and absolutely pouring down all day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Great username :P

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Minus 10 to Minus 15 850,s HPA Temperatures already showing over Greenland for the middle of August on todays 06Z..................:P:D

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Are you sure that you are living in the same country as the rest of us?

Absolutely. Unless the rest of you are somewhere else ;)

Pleasant enough now, dry (yet again), the odd sunny spell, light breeze and now just nudged past 18C.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Absolutely. Unless the rest of you are somewhere else ;)

Pleasant enough now, dry (yet again), the odd sunny spell, light breeze and now just nudged past 18C.

In fairness you have a very distinct micro climate that side of the Wicklow Mtns(well shelterd from prevailing westerlies), quiet different from most of the rest of the country. Having a place in North Mayo, I can attest to the appalling nature of this summer in the West of the country in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

goodbye July
    you won't be missed
    horrible

Birdnuts wrote: »
    In fairness you have a very distinct micro climate that side of the Wicklow Mtns(well shelterd from prevailing westerlies), quiet different from most of the rest of the country. Having a place in North Mayo, I can attest to the appalling nature of this summer in the West of the country in particular.

Agree with all that, but the "micro" climate extends from Gorey to Drogheda and inland across Dublin and parts of adjoining counties.

So we are talking maybe 40% of the population.

I was responding to someone who suggested I "lived in another country! :)

And recently a regular Arklow reporter here was accused of *gasp* - lying :eek:

Just setting the record straight....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

And recently a regular Arklow reporter here was accused of *gasp* - lying :eek:

Just setting the record straight....

Hopefully not me..

Fairly nice today,peak of 17,some sun,tried to rain once or twice in passing showers but never wet the ground

Tbh,that fantastic thunderstorm tuesday here was just icing on the cake of a great summer in South east wicklow
    I think this weather extended further south to wexford town Shaden along the coast and north to about S Dublin east of the hills there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Is there an opposite of thread merging on Boards? Could the East coast boardsies get a thread of their own where they could talk to their hearts content about the nice weather they are getting without us here in the West being reduced to salty tears, lamentations and renting of (winter) garments from hearing about it? :)

It was alright today between the thunderous downpours...sort of mild March vibe. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Last Friday to Monday was the first real bad patch of summer here in Bedfordshire. But today it was back up to a nice calm sunny 21c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

been about 2 weeks since we've seen anything above 16C, truly brutal for mid summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

It may not be Autumn yet, but it feels very much like it this morning, 1st morning iv'e felt the cold,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Gonzo wrote: »
    been about 2 weeks since we've seen anything above 16C, truly brutal for mid summer.

Down here in Waterford the daytime maximum has only once been below 16C since the 6th of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Gonzo wrote: »

While its not been great, it hasn't been quite as bad as that in Galway city - just three days in July where the recorded max didn't exceed 16C

356995.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Monday looking windy for the west coast on the 0Z ARPEGE. Gusts up to 110 km/h.

arpegeuk-11-59-0_pvu0.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Beautiful morning here now thank god. Is it set to last the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Monday looking windy for the west coast on the 0Z ARPEGE. Gusts up to 110 km/h.

NMM very similar yet later in the day.
    357007.png

And its current look earth.nullschool
    357008.jpg

Advertisement