Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Half a dozen is 6.... Are you having trouble counting there? Certainty isn't 6 people backing up your claims.

I think what people are getting annoyed about is your posting style, your kinda of rubbing it in our faces that your weather is better than ours. After sustaining that posting style for 2 months people are bound to get annoyed.

Also, FYI, 16c is not warm. It's fairly appalling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Half a dozen is 6.... Are you having trouble counting there? Certainty isn't 6 people backing up your claims.

I think what people are getting annoyed about is your posting style, your kinda of rubbing it in our faces that your weather is better than ours. After sustaining that posting style for 2 months people are bound to get annoyed.

Also, FYI, 16c is not warm. It's fairly appalling.

It is Wheaten Briar has attracted the abuse - not me! Is his posting style annoying too?

Supercell?

Is there a bit of "shoot the messengers" in this? Should I pretend it's cold and wet outside to make the west feel better?

Should that ME man be more "sensitive"? We are talking of effin' rain , not some tragedy!

Surely the extraordinary stark contrast between areas only 100 miles apart on a small island is news in itself?

And my "claims" are reports - not merely claims.

And this better weather relates to probably 50% of the population, even if only 20% of the land area.

FYI - 16C for 1am is not "appalling" by any standard :)

Yes their posting style is causing a stir too.

You are reporting, but not in a way that really adds to the thread. It's really just a slow way to start such an argument.

Also apologies in the 16c, I read it wrong, I thought you meant today it was.

Yes their posting style is causing a stir too.

You are reporting, but not in a way that really adds to the thread. It's really just a slow way to start such an argument.

Also apologies in the 16c, I read it wrong, I thought you meant today it was.

No prob on the 16! But, seriously, how do you expect them to post? If much of the country is having a summer to compare with the worst and the east coast is having slightly better than average (the average being better here anyway) - what are they supposed to say?

"Unfortunately is was dry and sunny here and the temp reached 20C (Brittas Bay today, btw - I'm told) - terrible when it was raining in so many places :( I apologise on behalf of God"

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

25c my arse, go get a new thermometer!
    (Providing you're in Ireland)

Bedfordshire!

• Advertisement

It's this type of style "Beautiful sunny and breezeless day here in Costa del bray with a temperature of 19c!" that some posters use.
    19c isnt even warm. In my books warm is over 23c, which actually hasnt been achieved this year. I also think that "Costa del" and "Playa del" are a little out of order, considering their night time temps are warmer than out night time temps.

It's this type of style "Beautiful sunny and breezeless day here in Costa del bray with a temperature of 19c!" that some posters use.
    19c isnt even warm. In my books warm is over 23c, which actually hasnt been achieved this year. I also think that "Costa del" and "Playa del" are a little out of order, considering their night time temps are warmer than out night time temps.

I haven't used those terms - but I'm not on the coast. And Bray/Arklow/Loughlinstown/D16 always seem to beat my high temps by up to 2 degrees.

But the average July max temp in Dublin is between 19 and 20C - so dry apart from a light shower, not too windy and some good sunshine and 19C is an average summer's day - regardless of what you regard as warm!

And 23C has been well beaten; even here in the foothills I got nearly 25C on 1st July; Arklow has reported about 27C.

Average lows at night here in July have been have been just under 12C; again near average.

Addendum: Did a quick check of the stats for Casement (nearest ME station to here)

June/July average temp: 14.6C; 2015 13.8C.........Temp compared to average 0.8C lower.
    June/July rainfall average: 117mm; 2015 90mm......Rainfall v average 77%
    Sunshine v average 110% (DA)

And remember the "Costa del Bray" etc will be warmer, dryer and sunnier (significantly) in a westerly summer like we are having.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The east got 21-27C a few times during June, but since the first week of July most places have been lucky to surpass 16C at any stage day or night, it's really been a bitterly cold miserable month. And 3 days into August has been wooly jumpers and rain jacket heaven, won't be sorry to see the back of this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I was the one that started the Costa Del Bray/Playa Del Arklow thing last year IIRC in response to the Blue Sky Summer last year down a very thin coastal Strip literally from Bray South to Wexford, noting how unfair it was that anywhere west of the Wicklow mountains was clouding over at mid day everyday once convection got going, yet the sea breezes and/or being in the lee of the mountains was keeping our skies blue and clear.

I didn't realise the playful meme was rubbing people the wrong way.

Am I to take it however that those of us in the 'Sunny South East' are to keep our mouth shut in response to the constant barrage of weather doom and gloom type postings. We shouldn't add our data points that at least one part of the country isn't having it quite so bad? It's not a good Summer here either but it's nowhere near the worst. Are we not allowed say that. Must we join the consensus that it's, 'Da worst Summer EVuuur!!' Certainly if Donegal had a clear pleasant Summer evading all the Atlantic muck, while great for them is not a significant data point when discussing the overall picture for Ireland's Summer this year. However when another small part of the country experiencing some better weather happens to hold half the countries population, I think it is worth mentioning.

Should we shut up and let you wallow in your misery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Thing is people do come on the Internet to moan
    I along with many from South Dublin to wexford have notjing to moan about except maybe the grass burning up which was the case untill last week
    19c is average or better for our climate by the way and comfortable for a t shirt

If the weather gets shyte down here,don't worry I will tell you and I expect it will eventually

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Calibos wrote: »
    Am I to take it however that those of us in the 'Sunny South East' are to keep our mouth shut in response to the constant barrage of weather doom and gloom type postings.

Absolutely not Cailbos - this thread is for discussing the weather of Summer 2015 be it good, bad or indifferent.
    Last year we had a fantastic summer here on the Costa del Galway - this year has been pretty grim. That's the way it goes, weather in Ireland will always be a case of swings and roundabouts - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and this threads for celebrating/moaning about it as applicable.

Mod note This is directed to everyone
    If you see abuse then report it and let the mods deal with it. Don't discuss it on thread because it drags the discussion off topic and can create an oven bigger mess for us to deal with.
    Likewise, if you find post(s) objectionable then use the report button - don't engage in a bit of back-seat moderation and pull others up on their posting style.

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KerryHarry

Good morning all,

Been reading this thread back a bit, but I couldn't see anyone reporting from South-Kerry.

The truth; it is just plain awful here and has been the entire year.
    Compared to last year, there have hardly been ANY dry stretches, very very occasionally a dry day but mostly followed by rain rain more rain and yes...even more rain. (as well as gusts of wind)
    I'm living a bit higher up, that makes it even worse. On a dry day, sometimes there is a 3-5 degree temperature difference between here on the mountain and down below in the valley.

Yesterday was just too horrible for words...I feel like I haven't even seen summer this year!

Is South-Kerry one of the wettest parts of Ireland?
    Because I read some posts of Dublin based folks and that doesn't compare to what I have seen here In Kerry all bloody year long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

KerryHarry wrote: »
    Good morning all,

Been reading this thread back a bit, but I couldn't see anyone reporting from South-Kerry.

The truth; it is just plain awful here and has been the entire year.
    Compared to last year, there have hardly been ANY dry stretches, very very occasionally a dry day but mostly followed by rain rain more rain and yes...even more rain. (as well as gusts of wind)
    I'm living a bit higher up, that makes it even worse. On a dry day, sometimes there is a 3-5 degree temperature difference between here on the mountain and down below in the valley.

Yesterday was just too horrible for words...I feel like I haven't even seen summer this year!

Because I read some posts of Dublin based folks and that doesn't compare to what I have seen here In Kerry all bloody year long.

Would liken this morning to the October bank holiday weekend with maybe a tempature 4 or 5 degrees higher....

KerryHarry wrote: »

Statistically, I think it is. But adjusting to the dry conditions didn't seem much of a problem in Croke Park yesterday!

Almost afraid to say this (:rolleyes:) but it's awful here, cloudless sunny and already 18.5C - the heat must be unbearable down in Bray, God help them :(

On the plus side the humidity is low (60%) so if they stay in the shade and take lots of fluids they should be OK.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

It is without doubt a ****e summer overall in the West but last week instead of waiting for good weather I decided to bring me rain mac, wellies and just GO! Get out and about. And while it is true I am getting fairly regularly drenched and blasted out of it with wind, there is some incredibly beautiful sparkling moments of sunshine and the suggestion of heat between the deluges. In spite of the climate, I am climbing mountains, hills, walking by lakes and the sea, and dodging storms in forests. I can see how tourists with adequate rain gear would still be having an awesome time here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

It is without doubt a ****e summer overall in the West but last week instead of waiting for good weather I decided to bring me rain mac, wellies and just GO! Get out and about. And while it is true I am getting fairly regularly drenched and blasted out of it with wind, there is some incredibly beautiful sparkling moments of sunshine and the suggestion of heat between the deluges. In spite of the climate, I am climbing mountains, hills, walking by lakes and the sea, and dodging storms in forests. I can see how tourists with adequate rain gear would still be having an awesome time here :)

Thats the spirit more of this..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fair play, i can almost hear the Irish music in the background, Cúchulainn would be proud!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

As they say, there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice sunny spells and breezy here in Kerry for the moment. A few more hours before winds will increase, slow moving system, to remain blustery tomorrow. Now where's my jacket :)

NRYMGvR.jpg

Looking forward to a hard winter at this stage.

The winter will be the summer less about 5-8 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Nice sunny spells and breezy here in Kerry for the moment. A few more hours before winds will increase, slow moving system, to remain blustery tomorrow. Now where's my jacket :)

NRYMGvR.jpg

More like a winter chart

Give me 2010 again. -12 with snow drifts. Beautiful.

Give me 1995 again glorious warm sunny weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Can we please stop saying the west are getting a bad summer, the whole country is getting it apart from a small strip on the east! Clonmel certainly isn't the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KerryHarry

Just wanted to add though:
    When it is a beautiful day, living in Kerry is like living in Paradise....especially in the wooded hills close to the ocean...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Windy in Galway but no real severe gusts yet as forecast by met eireann....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Was very windy but a dry bright day in West Clare however the rain has just started and it's coming in horizontally!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Gone very stormy now in Galway wind South South West gusting to 65 mph

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very bad in Galway now cyclists walking over the the bridge due wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Windy in Galway but no real severe gusts yet as forecast by met eireann....

Ya it got very windy just after i said this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes an unseasonably deep depression just off the west coast. A sustained gale at Belmullet.

I suppose it is Autumn now.... ;)

Advertisement