Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

August my arse! :mad:

Gusting here like its January

If you took the word 'August' out that comment, it would read very much differently!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Siobhan said on the forecast after the 9 oclock news that there are "tentative" signs of some decent summer weather but "still all to play for".
    She would have been commenting on the latest ECM.
    Best day here for about two weeks, 20c.

ECM1-144.GIF?03-0

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Salthill Prom in Galway closed tonight at Seapoint after flooding and sea water overtopping the Promenade. Branches and debris on roads throughout the city.Also customers at Morans restaurant in Kilcolgan are stranded tonight after high tide and flooding has made the car park a swimming pool.
    Theres photos and nice video on the Connacht Tribune facebook page for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Some dramatic photos from Spiddal and Inis Mean on the GA Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdvertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

the low itself beginning to come in now resulting in a drop in wind speed at Belmullet with in fact no gust reported on the 2200 reports. Mace head topping the list with 41 knots with sherkin and roaches point at 40 knots.

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Very high tide here at the moment with waves crashing over cars parked along the shore, could be some coastal flooding in exposed parts of the west

In London????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Siobhan said on the forecast after the 9 oclock news that there are "tentative" signs of some decent summer weather but "still all to play for".

ECM1-144.GIF?03-0

Hopefully. Was she talking about next week elmer?,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

In London????

The west coast of London is notorious for heavy seas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

In London????

He's in his native Donegal at the moment

He's in his native Donegal at the moment

Best surfing spot on Earth I'm told.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Hopefully. Was she talking about next week elmer?,
    Yeah, beyond 5 days so confidence not so high but we'll live in hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Posted on Irish Weather Online just now. Belmullet in all its glory this evening.

288f269963.jpg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow, looks an autumnal storm. Breezy but nothing like that here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Posted on Irish Weather Online just now. Belmullet in all its glory this evening.

288f269963.jpg

Sign indicating the wind speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Who would have ever thought high tides would ever flood low lying areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Hands up who believes seasons still exist in any significant form on this island. Well on the west coast anyway (and no I'm not trying to stir that one up again).
    This year I've seen scorching hot days in early April, frost in late May and now a winter storm in August. My windows shook as much this evening as during the storms of winter 2013/14.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Hands up who believes seasons still exist in any significant form on this island. Well on the west coast anyway (and no I'm not trying to stir that one up again).
    This year I've seen scorching hot days in early April, frost in late May and now a winter storm in August. My windows shook as much this evening as during the storms of winter 2013/14.
    Nothing unusual about that it all, look at the weather records, its a crap summer, even more so in the west that's what happens when you live on an island on our latitude at the edge of the 2nd largest ocean on the planet. Yea seasons still do exist with one exception though, Tallaght stadium, the last 3 games there....wow summer football me ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Great to see a potential high pressure building but is it in a strange position? Normally these high pressures seem to be a bit to our north or directly over us rather than to our south.
    It would definitely be better than what we've been getting but the winds would still be westerly!

Storm never made it here; no rain, bit windy last night - nothing much. Nice clear sunny day again now after cloudy start; 19.2C.

Very average summer weather. Even the temperatures have been back to normal the past two days.

And are there some warmer days ahead? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Storm never made it here; no rain, bit windy last night - nothing much. Nice clear sunny day again now after cloudy start; 19.2C.

Very average summer weather. Even the temperatures have been back to normal the past two days.

It was very, very windy in D(0)7 to be honest, but that seems to be par for the course this year. Sod's Law that this would be the summer that I take up cycling.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    It was very, very windy in D(0)7 to be honest, but that seems to be par for the course this year. Sod's Law that this would be the summer that I take up cycling.

Is that near the airport? DA recorded it's strongest up to midnight as 36 knots; average 17 knots.

That would be a fresh breeze with gale gusts. Wonder what the highest speed was last night?

Still seems to be gusting up there in the high 30s. Bumpy landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Is that near the airport? DA recorded it's strongest up to midnight as 36 knots; average 17 knots.

That would be a fresh breeze with gale gusts. Wonder what the highest speed was last night?

Still seems to be gusting up there in the high 30s. Bumpy landing.

Phibsboro area, near enough the city centre. I think in winter it wouldn't really seem out of place, but with it being July, all the plants and trees are covered in foliage, so it sounds a hell of a lot louder and windier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still wet and windy in Castlebar, as good as 24 hours of the same weather, we have had 33.9mm of rain in the last 3 days.

I
    Youre living the charmed life
    Someone on this thread(perhaps many :D) must have been praying for rain for wheaten,because we've been having heavy showers here since about 1030 am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Of course it didn't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yesterday was first dry, decent warmish day in quite a while, today is fairly mild as well in the sun, certainly warmer than it has been over past 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Gonzo wrote: »
    yesterday was first dry, decent warmish day in quite a while, today is fairly mild as well in the sun, certainly warmer than it has been over past 4 weeks.

You should have seen coastal Galway yesterday. A different world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Of course it didn't.

If its any consolation to you, despite the fact that the rain never made it across the country to cause the cancellation of the Bray Summerfest Fireworks display, the wind did cause the fireworks display to lose coherance with the starbursts spread further apart than they should have been. ;)

Youre living the charmed life
    Someone on this thread(perhaps many :D) must have been praying for rain for wheaten,because we've been having heavy showers here since about 1030 am

They've probably been sticking pins in a map of Arklow!

Anyways, another nice day here. Mainly sunny, breezy (high 19.6C) :) - now clouding over. Is there another storm out there somewhere?

• Advertisement

Should be warmer in the west and Midlands than the east soon,at last for ye

https://twitter.com/GavinPartridge/status/628655707685003265

Advertisement