Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Jpmarn wrote:
    We around Limerick City are enjoying warm sector conditions at the moment. It is fair and pleasantly warm. Expecting rain again in the next couple hours.

What? I'm in Limerick and it has been bucketing down since 6am!
    It's easied off abit now but still completely dark and breezey.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Dry, sunny and 17.5c here (in Dublin 16), if that's any consolation? :P

No it's not!!?????? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Pretty nice here in Dublin docklands although Dun Laoghaire has disappeared in a sea of cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Rain has eased off in Castlebar, 5th straight day of it, dull and overcast now at 13.8C, actually from May to the end of July, the average temperature has just been 12.3C.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Dry, sunny and 17.5c here (in Dublin 16), if that's any consolation? :P

Certainly isn't - up here in the foothill it's been drizzling all day - a bit on and off with some sunny bursts even drying the ground and them the drizzle sweeps in again; temp 16.5C

I can contribute to the Great Arklow Rainfall/Dryness debate :) :

Was on a call to someone in a caravan in Clogga (Wheaten will know where that is) and they said it was raining heavily, cold and wind rocking the caravan.

A mere ten minutes later as I was hanging up I remarked "enjoy the rain" only to be told "it's stopped now and the sun is shining"!

I hope this helps.....;)

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Feel sorry for the tourists.

Especially the poor Dubs who went West for their fortnight of R & R, eh? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

things are looking a bit better over the next week, slightly dryer and definitely warmer especially in the east, midlands and parts of the south. But it's nothing to get too excited over, should be average conditions and at this stage average is looking good compared to the crap over the past 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Gonzo wrote: »
    things are looking a bit better over the next week, slightly dryer and definitely warmer especially in the east, midlands and parts of the south. But it's nothing to get too excited over, should be average conditions and at this stage average is looking good compared to the crap over the past 4 weeks.

This will not be enough to save the summer however.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Xenji wrote: »
    Rain has eased off in Castlebar, 5th straight day of it, dull and overcast now at 13.8C, actually from May to the end of July, the average temperature has just been 12.3C.

that's shocking, doesn't sound much different to a mild January.

things are looking a bit better over the next week, slightly dryer and definitely warmer especially in the east...

So, no real change then? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Teaming down here now
    Much heavier than up to now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You should have a job with East Coast Tourism....if you're not already working for them! :p

Splash of rain on the way now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

the front stretching from sligo down to roughly west cork is now fairly active in places with recent lightning in the galway area

You should have a job with East Coast Tourism....if you're not already working for them! :p

If you think about it - some of the posters reporting from further west are doing even better work for the East Coast tourist business! ;)

You mean a hard rain's gonna fall? I was starting to enjoy the tickle of the drizzle on the breeze....

that's shocking, doesn't sound much different to a mild January.

Tell me about it, we have had over 40mm of rain since the start of August, nearly a quarter of what we had last month and I thought July was wet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You mean a hard rain's gonna fall? I was starting to enjoy the tickle of the drizzle on the breeze....

Passed now. 0.8mm. Sun is back out again. :)

Passed now. 0.8mm. Sun is back out again. :)

Your pulling the old Michael, aren't you? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Especially the poor Dubs who went West for their fortnight of R & R, eh? :rolleyes:
    If you think about it - some of the posters reporting from further west are doing even better work for the East Coast tourist business! ;)

As my mother used to say to me , " If you have nothing useful to say , its probably best to say nothing at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A real mix across the country on the 1500 reports, from the various stations we have MIST,CLOUDY,HEAVY RAIN,RECENT RAIN,RAIN SHOWER,FOG THICKENING, LIGHT DRIZZLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Heavy rain here in galway city now. Been raining all day so far but the sun has just come out even though its still raining heavily!

Edit:
    From looking at the satellite we are finally on the western edge of the rain, hopefully it will dry up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Confirmed. July was dull, wet and windy, and the coldest in 50 years locally in the west.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/sum1.pdf

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Oneiric 3 wrote:
    Confirmed. July was dull, wet and windy, and the coldest in 50 years locally in the west.

Was May and June the coldest in a good few years aswell can you tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Was May and June the coldest in a good few years aswell can you tell me?

Broadly speaking, June this year was on par with or very slightly warmer than June 2012. May this year though was the coldest in 19 years.

May summary:
    http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2015-may.pdf

June summary:
    http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2015-Jun.pdf

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It's been the coldest July/Summer in this region since 1942 according to that article, not surprised. Thankfully it's been nowhere near as wet as 2007-2012 summers but the constant cool temps and dark, grey hanging skies has made it feel every bit as bleak.

Wind, rain and FROST - Met Éireann confirms one of the worst summers ever.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/wind-rain-and-frost--met-eireann-confirms-one-of-the-worst-summers-ever-689709.html

It’s official: Ireland experiences the coldest July in 50 years.

http://www.evoke.ie/news/ireland-summer-worst-july-in-50-years

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

There is an absolute bucket of rain closing in on Athlone. It has gotten so dark out there..... Almost like night closing in on us and all the cars coming from the wesht driving with lights on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

At this stage this summer is beginning to rival 2012. We have had serious rain here in the north west over the few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Xenji wrote: »
    Wind, rain and FROST - Met Éireann confirms one of the worst summers ever.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/wind-rain-and-frost--met-eireann-confirms-one-of-the-worst-summers-ever-689709.html

It’s official: Ireland experiences the coldest July in 50 years.

http://www.evoke.ie/news/ireland-summer-worst-july-in-50-years

Wow - wasn't my imagination so. Looking at the latest models it looks like more of the same for August, albeit slightly warmer, especcially in the East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Storm 10 wrote: »

That's based on the Met Eireann monthly report for July, the summer report won't be out until after summer ends. It will be online in early September. July was very wet and cool in many places but in June some stations like Dublin Airport reported their driest June since 1975. Remains to be seen what the weather will be like for the rest of the month but I doubt 2015 will end up being the "worst summer" overall.

Advertisement