Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Another one,
    Quite warm here now, 20.2c despite the light seabreeze, I am only couple of km's inland

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Not this again :-/

I would consider summer to be June July and August. But in school I was taught it's May June and July so you can't really pull anyone up for saying August is Autumn

Sorry but it does annoy me.

It seems only Irish schools teach this, and why is beyond me. All based on pagan/celtic calendars that are not meteorological based.

Met Eireann have it as June-September.

Many countries run with the Solstices/Equinoxes as being season start dates. So when I lived in Holland they have summer from June 21-Sep 20.

November is normally Autumnal weather with the odd exception of snow as our seasons can overlap but I just think this idea of Spring beginning in February needs to be knocked on the head. Sure we're in the peak Summer Holiday season now; hottest month on the continent so it can't be Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Summer is the warmest months of the year. Here are the warmest months in order:
    1. July
    2. August
    3. June
    In some regions in Ireland, August is actually the warmest month of the Summer.

Winter is the coldest months of the year. Here they are in order:
    1. January
    2. February
    3. December
    In some regions, December is colder than February.

So you have no logical reasoning for it then?

To be fair, it's just that some people prioritise weather by precipitation and sunshine rather than temperature. From that point of view, September and October can be very dry and sunny months, and have been for the last number of years - and February also tends to be relatively settled. Cold, yes, but not all that rainy, windy, or necessarily cloudy.

To be honest, I was thinking about this the other day and I actually feel that the last number of years have just been fairly settled in general, as in a lot of sunshine, a lot of rain, but (in my mind, am I wrong?) relatively little stormy weather / extreme winds, at least around Dublin. Far less than in the early 2000s when thunderstorms and gales were incredibly common around Leinster, all year round.

Is this purely a distortion of memory, or am I describing an actual trend? Would anyone else say that as far as storms and "wild" weather go, the last couple of years have let us off fairly easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Gorgeous day here in Galway! Sun out, Salthill packed, lots of people in the water. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else today, hope plenty of others are getting a well deserved nice day after all of the bad weather :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are you saying Autumn, when it's still Summer?

There is NO Summer in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

murpho999 wrote: »
    November is normally Autumnal weather with the odd exception of snow as our seasons can overlap but I just think this idea of Spring beginning in February needs to be knocked on the head.

November is never as cold as February! Snow is very rare in Nov; very common in Feb.

I remember on one of the the rare occasions when snow arrived in the last few days of November in 2010 it looked odd because there were still so many leaves on the trees!

No way is November winter; even more absurd to claim August for Autumn.

For those that haven't seen,I pisted some more pics of that convergence convection in Wicklow on the thunder thread
    Sime fantastic scapes that my phone couldnt do justice
    Got a text about a funnel cloud too but it was rising again when I got to where I could see it
    I took a photo but it was too far for a camera phone

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

The Irish Calendar run with May, June, July as our summer, and August, September and October as our Autumn. The meteorological summer is June, July and August, and their Autumn is September, October and November. As most of the schools in Ireland must abide by the Primary Curriculum, they must teach the Irish calendar year version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Is this purely a distortion of memory, or am I describing an actual trend? Would anyone else say that as far as storms and "wild" weather go, the last couple of years have let us off fairly easy?

From Dec 13 to March 14 was one big storm.

I will remember February 12th 2014 as the worst storm I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Ok I'm p****d off!!

It's now lashing in Inchicore. There was no mention of this on Met Eireann weather report. I have changed my clothes twice today because every time I try to leave the house it's a different season outside.
    Have started to sell all my more fashionable clothes on adverts because I just give up!
    I now am the proud owner of a proper water proof jacket, hiking boots and am currently shopping for waterproof trousers and fleece jackets.

I could never understand the Dutch and German peoples massive ponchos when I meet them on campsites as a kid...now I get it. Practical, practical, practical.

I have about 7 items of summer clothing that I've used for the past 3 years and they'll do me for 10 more at this rate....provided I don't start getting fat from sitting on the couch drinking red wine when I'm not out battling the elements!

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Rikand wrote: »
    What a great day out there.

Best country in the world when the sun is shining.

Not this again...

Nice day in south Tipp at last. 19 degrees sunny and light winds feels pleasantly nice. Note its not hot its not glorious and guess what its going to rain tomorrow.

Nice day in south Tipp at last. 19 degrees sunny and light winds feels pleasantly nice. Note its not hot its not glorious and guess what its going to rain tomorrow.

Delighted you finally got some decent weather, we have suffered enough!

No I wouldn't say it's a roasting hot summers day, but it's the best I've got since early April so I am going to enjoy it while I can and not think about rain.

It is glorious when compared to the last few months.

Cloudy here outside Arklow now and flat calm as the convection edge is overhead,its lovely and mild though at 19c for working outside
    The showerline up the spine of wicklow is behind and drifting away
    The view in the photo is towards Arklow town (under the sun :D) about 2 miles to the east

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Another pleasant day in Castlebar, must be the first time this summer we have had two back to back good dry days, 15.5C and feeling warmer when the sun breaks through the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A few convergence showers are always possible on a day like today and the Wicklow Mtns would be prime spot.

However, the vast majority of the country will stay dry and the showers are very isolated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Is there anything interesting on the charts, even in FI?

Is it too much to ask for the Atlantic to feck off for a while and let a nice high move up from the south!?

One more hot spell before the autumnal storms would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

lolo62 wrote: »
    Ok I'm p****d off!!

It's now lashing in Inchicore. There was no mention of this on Met Eireann weather report. I have changed my clothes twice today because every time I try to leave the house it's a different season outside.
    Have started to sell all my more fashionable clothes on adverts because I just give up!
    I now am the proud owner of a proper water proof jacket, hiking boots and am currently shopping for waterproof trousers and fleece jackets.

I could never understand the Dutch and German peoples massive ponchos when I meet them on campsites as a kid...now I get it. Practical, practical, practical.

I have about 7 items of summer clothing that I've used for the past 3 years and they'll do me for 10 more at this rate....provided I don't start getting fat from sitting on the couch drinking red wine when I'm not out battling the elements!

Rant over.

Weather forecast in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fecking seas fog/low cloud has rolled right across to Waterford.

Sun still shining here. Not that hot but still a lovely day.

It's mad how much the weather can improve your mood

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw-69aR-fKV3Co2cfc1ZgcMJGHdu_rxth0n-1HEytKI9sxCiP-

KungPao wrote: »

Is it too much to ask for the Atlantic to feck off for a while and let a nice high move up from the south!?

One MORE hot spell? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Ok now it's a beautiful sunny evening in Inchicore.

This has been a strange pattern for the past few years. Days of rain, windy and grey and then lovely bright evenings.

I don't get it. (Not complaining btw I just don't understand how the weather at times seems to be on a schedule!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

KungPao wrote: »

No sign of anything higher than mid-high teens for the foreseeable future, maybe just getting up to around 20ish in a few lucky places. A bit drier than the past week or so but not totally dry. Still, could be quite pleasant, sort of similar to today's weather during the drier times.

Beautiful morning in Arklow again as I pick up my mac breakfast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

The dark clouds are rolling in over sligo already. The rain isnt far away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

19.7C in glorious unbroken sun, what a day :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    19.7C in glorious unbroken sun, what a day :)

Aye just 20.4 here near Arklow now,you'd never know I had a new phone,one with a camera that works for a change :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

mg1982 wrote: »
    The dark clouds are rolling in over sligo already. The rain isnt far away now.

Ahhh, would ya shtahp! :( I'm going to climb Cuilcagh anyway, feck it. Have you seen the new stairs? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The rain's just starting to arrive in Galway City now. Our one day of summer was nice while it lasted :(

Advertisement