Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

mg1982 wrote: »
    I see met eireann are forecasting some heavy rain and possible thunder and lightening for the next 24 hrs. Im hoping to see some fireworks.

I hope you do - so long as you aren't living near me!

We need more weather like today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Gorgeous in Arklow
    21c dry and sunny
    Couldn't ask for more tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yeah, just finished a long walk as far as Shankill on the back(north) strand in Bray with the dogs. Back around the harbour and along the prom. Positively HOT in the Sun. Lovely day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dry afternoon in Castlebar, although it is only 14.5C and with moderate gusts topping out at 37 km/hr.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Mixed day in Limerick, hot and sunny one hour, dark and breezy the next, but it's dry so happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

October by lough rea in athlone ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mean maxima for August so far at a few of the synoptic stations on the Met.ie network:

358125.png

Values in the W/NW and along southern coastal regions more akin to what you would expect in late September/early October. Midlands and East doing much better with maxima closer to normal

All data c/o met eireann
    http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

New Moon

Beautiful evening near Arklow and still 18c at 8pm
    Cant complain
    Image of the setting sun just now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I know I do go on a bit about this St Swithin stuff - that's because I think there's a lot of truth in it, the third week of August is roughly when the 40 day period is up and I think we'll be seeing charts like this as we head towards the end of the month. FI land of course.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2015081012/ECM1-240.GIF?10-0
    GFS not much different.
    http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015081012/gfs-0-240.png?12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I know I do go on a bit about this St Swithin stuff - that's because I think there's a lot of truth in it, the third week of August is roughly when the 40 day period is up and I think we'll be seeing charts like this as we head towards the end of the month. FI land of course.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2015081012/ECM1-240.GIF?10-0
    GFS not much different.
    http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015081012/gfs-0-240.png?12
    heretic! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

pauldry wrote: »
    2007 was the year Britain spent july under water and rihanna made it as whatever she is due to "umbrella ella ella"

Were it not for the wettest july in 240 years in britain we may never have found love in a hopeless place.

This Summer definitely has to be up there with one of the worst ever, May was awful, June was okay, July was miserable, wet and grey and sadly August is not looking any better. We may get the ubiquitous lovely week or two in September, but either way it's been a crap Summer :mad:

Ooooh Tomaz on the bbc news 24 just before 10 week ahead talking about a thundery iberian french low next weekend that may hit the east with storms? One to watch in the other thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

I have never known meadows around me uncut at this time of year. The rain and coolness of this 'summer' makes this year a contender for the worst I have known in many a year.

Attached is this mornings sat pic,showing where the best place is again to be for sun on our island in a westerly flow

Of course,this reverses probably by Thursday as cloud/rain spills in from the east

But the attached image is more evidence of what I calibos and Shaden have experienced in recent summer's and why we haven't been complaining too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Attached is this mornings sat pic,showing where the best place is again to be for sun on our island in a westerly flow

I can remember during some of the washout summers like 2007, the extreme west coast was the best place to be, like Achill island etc.
    I think it was mainly because the rain was due to clouds brewing up over land and not fronts like this year? Also the sea temperatures were higher so sea cloud must have burned off more quickly?

But the attached image is more evidence of what I calibos and Shaden have experienced in recent summer's and why we haven't been complaining too much

Indeed another glorious cloudless morning here - with enough breeze to keep the flying ants in check.

If it turns easterly I would't go so far as Supercell's veggies and say we need the rain (the reservoirs in the hills are OK) - but a few thunderstorms wouldn't be the end of the world.

They'd make a change from all the dry sunny weather :)

(We are tempting fate here Wheaten - I suspect 2016 may be the worst summer on the East Coast in 1,000 years...those voodoo dolls....:cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

OldRio wrote: »
    I have never known meadows around me uncut at this time of year. The rain and coolness of this 'summer' makes this year a contender for the worst I have known in many a year.

Pretty much describes the scene around my place in North Mayo. Unlike the East we didn't even get a half decent June and since the start of July the weather has been more like late October in terms of temps/wind/rainfall:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I can remember during some of the washout summers like 2007, the extreme west coast was the best place to be, like Achill island etc.
    I think it was mainly because the rain was due to clouds brewing up over land and not fronts like this year? Also the sea temperatures were higher so sea cloud must have burned off more quickly?
    Yes, I remember Donegal doing quite well compared to the rest of the country during those dreadful summers. There was persistent blocking to the north west in those summers and here's a chart thats a good example, August '08 was extremely wet in eastern areas with northwestern parts not doing too badly.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2008/brack/bracka20080808.gif

Actually what happened that year and some others was the rain systems taking a different track up from the south,with leinster and east munster and east ulster taking the brunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Ok so a repeat of 2007, 2008 is exactly what Schadenfreudia is tempting!
    Yeah I lived in Dublin those summers and it seemed to rain literally every day there (especially 2007). I wondered how bad the west coast must be if Dublin was that wet but it turned out Achill were having a decent summer!
    I don't think Galway city had great weather those years either it might have been too far south to miss the rain too.

• Advertisement

Ok so a repeat of 2007, 2008 is exactly what Schadenfreudia is tempting!
    Yeah I lived in Dublin those summers and it seemed to rain literally every day there (especially 2007).

Yep, 2007 was the worst here since 1985. A feature of '85 was that is was terrible everywhere - moving statues and misery - but I think in terms of temperature 2015 is shaping up to be the equal of '85 and '07 - even here on the East Coast it's running 1 degree below the long-term average. (Unless the next three weeks produce above average temperatures :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Pretty much describes the scene around my place in North Mayo. Unlike the East we didn't even get a half decent June and since the start of July the weather has been more like late October in terms of temps/wind/rainfall:(

Im in North Mayo too. May was a complete washout with low temps, June was just ok (but not near as good as last year), July another washout with low temps and wind, and well, this month isn't shaping up to be much better :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Disappointing day here (again) unfortunately. Overcast dull and quite cool. Hopefully it will brighten up though.

, August '08 was extremely wet in eastern areas with northwestern parts not doing too badly.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2008/brack/bracka20080808.gif

The stats suggest differently. August '08 was wet everywhere, not just the east. For example, 192.4 mm was recorded at D.A (the wettest of the Dub stations, while a whopping 240.2 mm was recorded in Galway city. It is a bit of a statistical quirk that the summers of 07/08 are seen to be the wettest in the east, because this is based on percentage values rather than actual values. Here locally for example, summer 07 was every bit as wet as it was in the east.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A week into August and the average temp in Castlebar has just been 13.2C and we have had 66.8mm of rain, some plants that usually would of blossomed by now are still in the bud stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Even the ice cream sellers are having a rough time during this so called Summer

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/awful-summer-sees-ice-cream-cone-maker-cut-back-worker-hours-690497.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Beautiful sunny Day with blue skies in Central Dublin, temperatures must be about 20-22, very hot in the sun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Beautiful sunny Day with blue skies in Central Dublin, temperatures must be about 20-22, very hot in the sun.

It's alot cooler than you think. Temps generally 14-16C across the country but Pheonix Park is reporting 19C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Gonzo wrote: »
    It's alot cooler than you think. Temps generally 14-16C across the country but Pheonix Park is reporting 19C.

Must be all the buildings, concrete and cars pushing the ambient heat up, lots of red faces too.

• Advertisement

Here is a map from the met eireann bulletin showing rainfall totals for July '07 which sort of reinforces the point that rainfall totals, when expressed as % of normal rather than actual totals, can be deceptive. While it was commonly perceived that the east and south bore the brunt of the rain that month, this was not actually the case as the NW saw the highest totals overall. It is only when these totals are transformed into percentages of normal that they appear to be lower.

358231.PNG

Image taken from: http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2007-Jul.pdf

New Moon

Advertisement