Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

This sums up Summer 2015 in Galway perfectly :pac:

"Dirty days hath September,
    April, June, and November;
    From January up to May,
    The rain it raineth every day;
    From May again until July,
    There's not a dry cloud in the sky;
    All the rest hath thirty-one
    Without a blessed ray of sun;
    And if any of them had two-and-thirty,
    They'd be just as wet and dirty."

James Craven

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Lumi wrote:
    "Dirty days hath September, April, June, and November; From January up to May, The rain it raineth every day; From May again until July, There's not a dry cloud in the sky; All the rest hath thirty-one Without a blessed ray of sun; And if any of them had two-and-thirty, They'd be just as wet and dirty."

Haha very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The stats suggest differently. August '08 was wet everywhere, not just the east. For example, 192.4 mm was recorded at D.A (the wettest of the Dub stations, while a whopping 240.2 mm was recorded in Galway city. It is a bit of a statistical quirk that the summers of 07/08 are seen to be the wettest in the east, because this is based on percentage values rather than actual values. Here locally for example, summer 07 was every bit as wet as it was in the east.
    Yes that summer was no 1976 or '95 but Aug '08 saw 123mm at Malin Head which is about 3 inches less than Dublin A. - quite an unusual difference at any time of year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Gonzo wrote: »
    It's alot cooler than you think. Temps generally 14-16C across the country but Pheonix Park is reporting 19C.

Yep, max 19.1C here despite that sun - the westerly breeze takes the edge off things; dead calm now. I can understand why a sea-breeze kicks in during the day and dies off in the evening but I'm puzzled - why does this westerly do the same thing nearly 300km from the downwind coast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Mild about 16 and dry here all day. The sun appeared for all of 60 seconds this morning but apart from that grey grey grey.

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    Mild about 16 and dry here all day. The sun appeared for all of 60 seconds this morning but apart from that grey grey grey.

Where are you? :confused:

Where are you? :confused:

Sligo. I shoudnt complain really, we got two dry days in a row. It just be nice to see the sun occasionaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Yep, max 19.1C here despite that sun - the westerly breeze takes the edge off things; dead calm now. I can understand why a sea-breeze kicks in during the day and dies off in the evening but I'm puzzled - why does this westerly do the same thing nearly 300km from the downwind coast?

Well today pressure is rising, killing off that flow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Interesting bit on the 9.30 weather from Evelyn Cusack noting the Nth Atlantic being cooler than typical this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

When the gulf stream gets switched off we'll know all about the cold then. We need to dam off the Labrador Sea.

• Advertisement

When the gulf stream gets switched off we'll know all about the cold then. We need to dam off the Labrador Sea.

Dunno - if it produces reliable summers like this one in Dublin we can't really complain :)

Let's just hope for colder winters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

You blew your chance.

Has it been a good summer in Dublin though. I hear a lot of dubs complaining about the summer they had too.

Dunno - if it produces reliable summers like this one in Dublin we can't really complain

F*** off!!! :-(

ComfortKid wrote: »
    F*** off!!! :-(

Been better than average summer here in Dublin; cooler than average - but dryer and sunnier.

Less of the bad language please :)

Can any of ye weather experts explain this to me?

Almost every single night this summer,and I mean nearly every night, there is a clear sky, great views of the stars, but as soon as the sun is up and temps rise, around 7 or 8 am the clouds roll in. Is there a scientific reason for this or just coincidence?

Been better than average summer here in Dublin; cooler than average - but dryer and sunnier.

Oh i know! I cancelled my trip to spain and booked a villa in arklow for the weekend ;-)

I'd take a cool,dry consistent summer over one with a "heatwave" for 2 weeks any year.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Can any of ye weather experts explain this to me?

Almost every single night this summer,and I mean nearly every night, there is a clear sky, great views of the stars, but as soon as the sun is up and temps rise, around 7 or 8 am the clouds roll in. Is there a scientific reason for this or just coincidence?

As the Sun gets stronger during the morning, it is evaporating the moisture on the ground and the vapour condensates as it hits the cooler air. Clouds can only form when the air pressure is low. When there's a high pressure over the country, the air is descending which prevents clouds bubbling up, which gives you sunny weather.

During the Winter, the Sun is so weak, no moisture evaporates, so even if the air pressure is low, you get clear days.

hydrologic_cycle2.jpg

Another thing, over north Africa and Arabia, the air pressure is usually low all year round but because it's a desert, there's is no moisture to evaporate, so days are usually cloud free:

WEB_sat_ir_full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Crystal clear blue sky and blazing sunshine. Beautiful summer morning here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Crystal clear blue sky and blazing sunshine. Beautiful summer morning here.

Likewise here but not summer its quite nippy out temp just below 7 degrees.

• Advertisement

Likewise here but not summer its quite nippy out temp just below 7 degrees.

And ditto here but it's a very pleasant 14 degrees and no breeze (yet anyway) - so it must be, I guess, about 20C in Arklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

we just might have a nice day today, fingers crossed

And ditto here but it's a very pleasant 14 degrees and no breeze (yet anyway) - so it must be, I guess, about 20C in Arklow?

16.2 actually...

16.2 actually...

So it's woolly jumpers for you today? ;)

So it's woolly jumpers for you today? ;)

Shorts today because I fell yesterday and have a very sore knee :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

mg1982 wrote: »
    Has it been a good summer in Dublin though. I hear a lot of dubs complaining about the summer they had too.
    Average, mediocre, not a good one but nowhere near as bad as 2007-12. This summer has been dry though, June extremely dry, July average rainfall and August, as we approach mid month, only 9mm in my backyard.
    The nights have been unusually chilly as they have been all over the country.
    It hasn't been particularly sunny, sunny mornings then clouding over and becoming sunny again in the evening has been a recurring theme.
    When I posted this 20 mins ago it was cloudless, now a lot of cloud appearing and sun gone in.

Shorts today because I fell yesterday and have a very sore knee :(

Those damn voodoo dolls....
    It hasn't been particularly sunny, sunny mornings then clouding over and becoming sunny again in the evening has been a recurring theme.

Yep - noticed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Spent last night in Blessington and by god it was a cold one. Felt more like mid October than August. Nice morning though

I scored a try though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

Splitting the stones in Waterford City.. Mid 20's..No Breeze..

Advertisement