Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Cool i just saw it there passing over :)

Same here. It's really fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

As all things are to the skies tonight the ISS will pass over at 2227 tonight, approaching from the west. plenty of clear skies to go out for a look.

Thanks, just caught it there over my house after reading your post. It was like a really bright and really high sky lantern.
    It seemed to dim a lot when it went to the east. I wasnt sure if thats because its light wasnt being reflected back anymore or whether it went behind a stray cloud. (seems cloudless here now anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Thanks, just caught it there over my house after reading your post. It was like a really bright and really high sky lantern.
    It seemed to dim a lot when it went to the east. I wasnt sure if thats because its light wasnt being reflected back anymore or whether it went behind a stray cloud. (seems cloudless here now anyway)

The Sun isn't shining on it anymore. I was watching this tracker website after I read Oscar Bravo's post: http://iss.astroviewer.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Complete cloud cover seems to be spreading northwards pretty quick according the satellites. A few hours for some to see some of the shower, further north the better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Saw it passing here about 20 minutes ago but halfway across my view it got obscured by a big patch of cloud. Cool though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Dungarvan this evening. Not my picture.

CMPabGAXAAANYsU.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

same here it dimmed alot as it went towards the east.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Dungarvan this evening. Not my picture.

Wow. That is amazing! Is that a genuine pic?

Probably the wrong thread to comment on this, but the good weather made it possible.

Its probably the first clear 12th of August/December in my short lifetime, but first the space station blew my mind, hard to think there is people on that fast moving star, it was short but still breathtaking. Since that I have seen 2 similar, fast moving objects, but not as bright, which I presume are just seatilites?

I'm after seeing more shooting stars in the last hour than I have in my whole life, what a spectacle. You'd think you'd get sick of em after a while but no, I'm still smiling in to the sky like a retard after seeing more than 20 so far. Truly humbling!

On the weather front, it feels very, very cold out, but I don't mind, I presume tomorrow is going to be nice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Sky clear....can't see can't shooting stars :(

Any particular direction I should be looking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sky clear....can't see can't shooting stars :(

Straight up and to the north. Good few passing by the plough and the surrounds of that.

Sky clear....can't see can't shooting stars

All directions here anyway, but most, probably going from east to west. That could be just where I am looking through. I am seeing loads in the corner of my eye but the clearest ones are definitely shooting West.

I will take the needles out of the voodoo doll, no one deserves to miss this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Six shooting stars four satellites and an Israeli Jumbo jet New York to Tel Aviv, not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

i saw 3 shooting stars but only on second visit outside... at 10pm i saw nothing and at midnight nothing but at 1130 i saw 2 going east to west and a smaller one straight above. quite a few also on my side that i missed. seems to be east but lots of lights here to the east

Saw nothing :(

Way too much light pollution in the sky to the north and east reflecting off some very thin high cloud - though I could make out the plough - it seemed abnormally huge slightly NW of here...I think you left those voodoo pins in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Another great morning. Will probably get up to around 23 here today I'm guessing.

On the bright side it is another beautiful sunny morning (18C) and I can see that very thin veil of high cloud to the north that ruined the view last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Outstanding morning near Arklow, sea breeze starting and 20c

In the pic looking South you can see the encroaching cloud to the SE from their thunderstorms

Also AF 83 San Francisco to Paris overhead

Also AF 83 San Francisco to Paris overhead

God bless your eyesight.....

Well thats what the plane finder App told me was overhead

Its an A380

https://planefinder.net/data/flight/AF83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 CocoBaby

Theres a plane finder app? Really? thats cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

First real warm sunny day of the Summer in Castlebar, glad I had today off.

22.9 \0/

Heres the edge of the England and Wales weather as seen from Arklow
    Pretty calm here in the approach

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

At last a glorious day in Galway blue sky and 20 degrees.

Heres the edge of the England and Wales weather as seen from Arklow
    Pretty calm here in the approach

Yep - can see that from here - it seems to be away on the far side of the Irish Sea; impressive even at this distance.

Looking at the radar it seems to be at least 150 miles from here - mighty high clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The line on the radar approaching from the west is looking a bit ominous

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

auu0IEZ.jpg

Rikand wrote: »
    The line on the radar approaching from the west is looking a bit ominous

If you animate the image both areas of rain seem to be heading here...one from the west moving east and the one over the UK moving NW towards us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We're grand the south wesht wind will keep us dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

For anyone that missed the meteor shower last night there is still a chance to see it until the 14th looks like the cloud/rain will ruin it tonight though

Advertisement