Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Looks like it is going to be a wet end to the day as a band of heavy rain is currently pushing into the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Was down at rosses point beach today and it was glorious. Temps reached about 20 with hardly any breeze. Can see dark clouds coming in from the west now allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

High of 18.9c here in Galway today. Highest temp since July 6th.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Beautiful day here for a change with a high of 20.3. Warmest day since the 3rd of july, felt oppressively hot, just not used to it. Average temp so far this month has been 11.4(not inc today) which is crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Beautiful day here for a change with a high of 20.3. Warmest day since the 3rd of july, felt oppressively hot, just not used to it. Average temp so far this month has been 11.4(not inc today) which is crap.

At an elevation of nearly 800 feet that must be part of the explanation - here at a mere 450ft we have maximum temperatures in sunny summer weather that are usually about 1.5 to 2 degrees lower than the surrounding suburbs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Very quite here today?

Heavy rain in Limerick this morning, now cloudy and breezy.
    Normality resumes..

Its overcast and dry here. Though i wouldnt rule out rain later on. Temps well back on yesterday 16 naturally enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Very quite here today?

Heavy rain in Limerick this morning, now cloudy and breezy.
    Normality resumes..

There is drizzle in the east and still plenty of sunshine about, so its not quite normality yet!

Nice morning in Castlebar, overcast now with moderate gusts and sporadic rain, just 12.4C at the moment, knew yesterday was the best we were going to get this summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Mainly dull today with a max of 19.2C in some sunny breaks - now dull again. breezy dry and not too hot at 15.8C!

Is the sun gone everywhere - no news from Arklow? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

The suns out here still
    About 70% cloud
    Breezy but nice
    I'm busy today again

Sun is out in the lidl carpark Arklow anyhow
    Very warm
    Car says 21c

Sun is out in the lidl carpark Arklow anyhow
    Very warm
    Car says 21c

And just now back down on the farm,roasting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Derrynane beach on the ring of kerry yesterday evening.stunning place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

Very odd this evening.

At just before six this evening the temperature out the back (sun trap, so it gets quite warm) was reading 24 degrees. It's now down to 12 degrees at eight o'clock, still in bright sunlight mind you.

Temps hovered around 13 here all day. Had some hefty showers moving in from the west this evening. Normality resumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Something I have been keeping a side eye on this year is how much daily relative humidity values around the country are down compared to recent previous years. Chart below shows the national daily anomaly for mean daily RH values from the start of the year up to Aug 12th for each year since 2007.

358613.PNG

This is obviously being affected by the cooler than normal Atlantic conditions since the start of this year which is helping to cool down various air masses that travel over it. Since cooler air holds less water vapor than warmer air, it stands to reason that RH values seem to be down this year when compared to recent years.

Chart data from Met Eireann & Ogimet.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Summertime8989

I think I had a better tan on Xmas day than I do today. That's my summary of this Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

juneg wrote: »
    And how are you rating 2015 so far?
    Is it a contender?

2015 wouldn't be nearly as bad as those others as only July has been terrible so far. With the exception of July, this Summer is turning a lot out like 2011 with very cool conditions and not much rain. Summer 2015 would be around #18 or something. I'll give you the final rating when August is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

sryanbruen wrote: »
    2015 wouldn't be nearly as bad as those others as only July has been terrible so far. With the exception of July, this Summer is turning a lot out like 2011 with very cool conditions and not much rain. Summer 2015 would be around #18 or something. I'll give you the final rating when August is over.

Only July?
    Not much rain?

Not around these parts that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just saw the week's forecast on RTE and the eastern side of the country looks like it should escape with a fairly dry spell of weather into most of next week. Apart from 3 wet days in July and a few passing showers it's been a fairly dry summer despite the low overall temps.

OldRio wrote: »
    Only July?
    Not much rain?

Where are you from?

Because yeah only July? Here's Grange's Summer 2015 rainfall totals so far

June: 15.1mm - 31% of the LTA - third driest June in my records
    July: 81.2mm - 173% of the LTA - wettest July since 2009
    August: 6.2mm - 10% of the LTA - driest start to August since 1995 (second driest on record).

Ino parts of the west have been poured with rain for the first half of August though

Only July?
    Not much rain?

I agree, Castlebar has had its second wettest summer in the last 10 years and its only getting wetter.

Leitrim.
    Dreadful year IMHO. Awful. The land is saturated. Cold and wet.

2015 hasn't been an awful year but sure it's been exceptionally cool but nothing terribly bad.

Here's the months summaries

January: Exceptionally windy, sunny and relatively wet. Cool generally.
    February: Cold, sunny and dry in most places.
    March: Mainly wet, cool and very sunny.
    April: Sunniest April on record. Cold nights make all the difference with warm days. Very dry in most places.
    May: Extremely wet, cold and dull.
    June: Relatively sunny, cold and dry almost everywhere.
    July: Very wet, dull and cold.

It's literally the opposite of 2014 when each of these months was warmer than normal nearly everywhere.

2015 hasn't been an awful year but sure it's been exceptionally cool but nothing terribly bad.

Here's the months summaries

January: Exceptionally windy, sunny and relatively wet. Cool generally.
    February: Cold, sunny and dry in most places.
    March: Mainly wet, cool and very sunny.
    April: Sunniest April on record. Cold nights make all the difference with warm days. Very dry in most places.
    May: Extremely wet, cold and dull.
    June: Relatively sunny, cold and dry almost everywhere.
    July: Very wet, dull and cold.

It's literally the opposite of 2014 when each of these months was warmer than normal nearly everywhere.

Well I'm only a farmer. I'm on the land everyday without fail. Apart from April (I actually got sun burnt) It has been an awful year. We had a couple of good days in June bit it was wet.
    There has been more first cuts of meadows in the local area in the last two days than in the rest of the year put together. No growth and to wet.

Well I'm only a farmer. I'm on the land everyday without fail. Apart from April (I actually got sun burnt) It has been an awful year. We had a couple of good days in June bit it was wet.
    There has been more first cuts of meadows in the local area in the last two days than in the rest of the year put together. No growth and to wet.

Like January, February and March weren't bad months at all here.

May and July were absolutely horrible though. June was more of an average month despite the dry conditions.

Like January, February and March weren't bad months at all here.

May and July were absolutely horrible though. June was more of an average month despite the dry conditions.

Dry?
    Ahh I give up.

Dry?
    Ahh I give up.

Check out the monthly summary of June 2015 on Met Éireann's website and you'll see what I mean

• Advertisement

You MIGHT be thinking of May because in May, my station, Grange had its wettest May on record with 139.5mm which is 291% of the average.

Advertisement